Home Main Category General Firearms

Carrying and expensive gun

BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 266 Member
edited June 28 in General Firearms #1
Does anyone regularly carry a gun like a wilson or knighthawk or something I consider expensive.  Like 2K and up.  A couple worries, one if something ever did cause you to use it, you may loose it for a while or even forever.  Next holster wear.  I'd hate to have wear marks on a gun like that.  I ask cause I'm considering buying something like this but not sure if I want a full size or something smaller to carry.  Also is nighthawk worth an extra 1-1.5K over a wilson?  They sure are sexy looking guns but they are expensive.  Local cabellas has a bunch of Dan Wessons I may consider, any experience with them?

Replies

• JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 552 Senior Member
    edited June 28 #2
    I do 
    Fall, winter, and spring I'll  often 
    Carry a PC 945
    They don't even make them anymore.

I trust the gun and my accuracy with it.

I'd hate to lose it but if I did I'm worth it.....I know I know that's definitely up for debate.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,796 Senior Member
    Don't know about the ones you mention as my most expensive handgun is a SS Colt Combat Commander.  Cost about 1K when I purchased it and it took a while to save that much "rat money".  It was my EDC for almost 4 years.  Show the slightest wear, but its a gun, made to be used as intended.  Now if all you want is a safe queen.......
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,559 Senior Member
    I carry my Wilson CQB when I think I’m in a situation where longer shots are a distinct possibility like Sunday church.  My church is huge!  

The finish is REALLY wear resistant and mine still looks pretty much like new even though it’s got over 10 years on it.  As far as cost, I don’t know what anyone could to to any 1911 that would make me pay an extra grand over my Wilson.  

And last, I have as one of my benefits, full replacement value of my gun if the police decide to confiscate it.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,373 Senior Member
    edited June 28 #5
    jmo/e

to answer your question, i dont have a wilson/or 2K+ 1911.  I do have other expensive toys.  What i carry if and when i do is a ruger GP100 in 357.  It works for me and what i want.

imo.....

> you can do what you want.  Its your money.  

> im not sure why you choose that mfg/type, but again, see the above.

> i see things like this as the old saying goes "its the warrior that wields the weapon..."

> knowledge on how to use that weapon and how to deal with malfs is what would be important to me.  

> to me, $$ is just a way to compensate for what you are lacking (sometimes).  It may not be true for you, but some people feel that buying "the best" will compensate for thier lacking.  I say this because i have shooting friends that do the same thing. They buy "the best" and still cant do what they want. Again, its the warrior, not the weapon.  

> Being comfortable and confident in yourself/skills is best imo.

> also, if you are worried about wear then why buy it for that purpose?   Then depending on what you buy you maybe able to (re)finish it down the road if you want to make it a safe queen.  Personally, i would rather have "honest" wear than abuse.  If you know this about yourself, then i would ask that question before you make that purchase and find out the what nots and how much to refinish at that time.

> endgame.  what is your endgame for that toy?  to make (more?) money off that toy after x years down the road?  There are better investments out there fyi.   But whats cool about guns is that you can play with them and if you are lucky, down the road, sell them and maybe make some $$$.  To me, i figure this out before i buy and use.   

others will chime in on this, but good luck whatever you do.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    We drive disposable cars that cost a small fortune. So likely not as big of a deal as we think. Maybe you can insure it. GunNut likely knows.
    Oh yeah and Dan Wesson makes a great gun!  My 10mm Razorback goes out pretty often and it’s pretty close to my WC in accuracy and just as reliable (which is 100%).  

The main difference is that DW makes an accurate, quality gun.  WC guarentees that accuracy.  My WC makes cloverleafs with cheap UMC ammo.  My DW CAN do cloverleafs with ammo it likes.  That’s were the extra money goes.

I’m sure someone will come along to say all that extra accuracy is not necessary to SD.  That’s fine and it’s a very personal decision that everyone has to make for themselves.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,204 Senior Member
    I've found that the law of diminishing returns with regards to 1911's kicks in HARD at roughly the $1500 mark.

At least in Springfield-speak (where I'm most familiar), you can typically and easily see the difference between the lower priced guns (although I've seen them turn out some GREAT examples in that range), and the "semi-custom" guns like the TRP and Trophy Match.  When you go up from those into the true Springfield Custom line, yes there's a difference, but it takes a little longer to spot it.  My take is that these are best left as Bullseye guns equipped with match sights, and that their hand-fitting and tight tolerances are all totally unnecessary price-inflating bells and whistles on a combat gun.  The standard guns typically are capable of shooting better than 99% of the people that will ever pick them up on a good day - folks saying they can eke out what a gun like than can offer under stress are just stroking their own egos.

But it's kinda like Ferris Bueller's Ferrari - "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up" - and by that I mean you should be able to not wince at sweating on it, having it get rusty, and taking the inevitable knocks and dings that a CCW will take.  A carry gun may take you more than one lifetime to consume, but it is a consumable.  Best to get any notions of preserving it as a safe queen out of your mind.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,772 Senior Member
    edited June 28 #9
    I have carried both of my Tripp Research 1911s (.40 S&W) on occasion. 
    I just don’t very often. Simply because I’m not the biggest fan of CCW my 1911s in general. They are heavier than I typically like to carry and I just haven’t found a concealable 1911 holster I like, yet. 
    The cost of the gun doesn’t factor into not carrying them. 

I like to shoot 1911s. I just don’t like to carry them. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 266 Member
    Don't want a safe queen and it wouldn't be one.  I mostly shoot my more expensive guns vs the cheaper ones I own.  Most of my competition guns are north of 1K including mods.  Even my .22s.  Most expensive gun I own is an M1 CMP special I shoot regularly.  The AR i'm building will eclipse that with the scope included.  On the flip side, I have a bunch of lower priced guns I hardly ever shoot, stock glock, henry .22, ruger and RIA 1911s and several others, including shotguns.  Only expensive gun I haven't shot in a while is my uberitti 1873 lever gun, slicked and short shortened pull, fun gun.  I used to shoot SASS but haven't in a couple years so it's been sitting.   I need to shoot it soon.  I do fondle it once in a while and oil it up.

I may go back to the LGSs around town and fondle a colt and those Dan Wessons.  One has a couple of wilsons in stock I'm gonna go look at including a classic and an EDC in 45 ACP.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,921 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    I’m sure someone will come along to say all that extra accuracy is not necessary to SD.  That’s fine and it’s a very personal decision that everyone has to make for themselves.
    All that extra accuracy is not necessary to SD!!! ...

... All the time.🤣

But it sure makes me feel good. 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 552 Senior Member
    Well if I need to shut it down right then I do.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,239 Senior Member
    Price isn't a factor for me. Anything I have that carries a higher value isn't really a carry piece - e.g. Colt Python, SW model 357, etc. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,675 Senior Member
    I don't own a handgun too expensive to carry.  But I own several I don't carry mostly because I can only carry one at a time and the others are safely stored in my safe.  I've never owned a gun too expensive to carry, but i acknowledge they exist.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,827 Senior Member
    I don’t have a gun in that high of a price range. I have a Kimber that was expensive to me at the time and carried it for years. And the gun shows it.  I never shed a tear over it and it did it’s job well.  I just grew to like a lighter gun and different setup. That, and I get 9mm ammo at work.. 🤓 

Point being, there’s no need to carry high end guns. There are plenty of inexpensive guns these days that do the job much better than most shooters can shoot. 
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I have a Kimber CDP Custom II, and I carried it almost exclusively for about 3-4 years, until I discovered a subcompact that I could shoot well.  Then it became my BBQ gun.  However, it still gets carried on occasion, especially if I can carry OWB.  The Avenger-style holster I have for it makes it practically disappear on me, and with my belt, I hardly feel the weight.  
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,427 Senior Member
    Me personally, I dont see how any 1911 can command a price above $1500 and justify it.  I had a DW RZ10 and sold it for the same reason I sold my Colt.  1911s and I do not play well at the range.  Both were capable of far better than I was and having seen what someone that can shoot a 1911 could do with either, spending more for better accuracy would have been pointless.  I just could bring myself to alter the sights for me knowing that others would at some point shoot the guns and be left with a potentially unsafe range situation.

I was never comfortable carrying a 1911.  I prefer to carry something with a decocker or striker fired.  I used to carry my Sphinx SDP, but an in-law needed a holster and the one that fit the Sphinx also fit his gun.  Now its most likely going to be a CZ-75 PCR or a Shield in 9 or .45 that I will have on me when I am some place I can take it and would like to have a little friend with me.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,077 Senior Member
    I carry my two most expensive guns- STI Ranger II in 9mm and a Kimber ProCarry in .45.  Never worried about honest wear on a gun.  And if it ends up in an evidence locker for a couple of months- its a cheap price to pay for my life, or my loved ones.

If you want it, can afford it, and will use it- get it.  Don't worry.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I carry my two most expensive guns- STI Ranger II in 9mm and a Kimber ProCarry in .45.  Never worried about honest wear on a gun.  And if it ends up in an evidence locker for a couple of months- its a cheap price to pay for my life, or my loved ones.

If you want it, can afford it, and will use it- get it.  Don't worry.
    That pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.  Guns are like cars.  Some folks want strict basic utility and others drive Lamborghinis as their daily vehicle.  And there is a whole lot of stuff in the middle to make everyone happy.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,772 Senior Member
    edited June 30 #20
    I just ordered this holster. If it works, maybe I’ll carry my 1911s a little more.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,204 Senior Member
    The COVID-19 precautions gave me a new wrinkle to think on with this.

Currently getting home, changing out of the day's clothes in the garage, and throwing all the pocket stuff - - keys, wallet, pocketknife, spare change, cell phone, CCW in holster, spare mags, etc..., into one plastic bag to carry inside.  I'll do this with a Glock or a mid grade Springfield without a second thought.

If I'm carrying Excalibur, I have to modify my routine around not putting blemishes on Excalibur.  If I'm carrying a Tramontina machete, there's a lot less of that kind of stress.

You kind of have to think of it like clothing.  If you know you have a high likelihood of walking into briar patches, the $100 silk shirt is probably not the uniform of the day.  
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,796 Senior Member
    edited June 30 #23
    Zee said:
    I just ordered this holster. If it works, maybe I’ll carry my 1911s a little more.

I have one for mt SW Shield and find it sturdy, secure and comfortable.  Liked it enough to have one on the shelf for the P365 that I don't have yet
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    So is there anyone packing a pristine Python or S&W collector revolver for EDC.. Or is this thread just about expensive 1911's?????
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,239 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Back on track - darned enablers. I won't be carrying a 1911 but I will be trying out that holster. Maybe G19 or 27. 
    edited June 30 #26
    Well the OP was asking who carries a $2k+ gun but then specified modern custom 1911s so I think that set the direction.  But I guess the concern are somewhat the same, except that WCs, DWs and Nighthawks are readily available and easily replaceable.  

The supply of pristine vintage collectible S&Ws and Colts (revolvers and pistols) is dwindling and the guns are not easily replaced.  So no, while I have no concern carrying a WC I won’t EDC my Python or even my pristine Colt 70.  I might carry them on a special occasion but not to Church every Sunday.

That makes sense. There's some popularity of the new S&W Performance center revolvers on youtube. I think if anyone here is sitting on one, they're keeping them concealed......
    Junk collector just posted one not too long ago.  Their “Classic” models do a nice job of putting modern manufacturing into old vintage looks.  There’s a a few that have my attention.

Well, I changed directions.  Spent the afternoon looking at LGSs and nothing made my skirt fly up.  Cabells had a bunch of Dan wessons and while nice, not really that nice to pay 1-1.5K for.  I was hooked on a CZ shadow2 with a bunch of factory mods, great trigger, thumb rest, extended mag release, all ready to race.  But the grips, floorplates and mag release were Tennessee orange. Plus the slide is to thin to have cut for a red dot.  Who in Crimson tide Country sells orange?  I would have been tossed off the range.  So one more look at the 1911s and I fondled a colt gold cup and a few others and was still only mildly impressed.  Then I found a Colt Competition in .45 ACP and I was sold.  Been looking for one to handle.  The trigger is so much better than the gold cup its not funny.  So since i was way under budget, I also got a Ruger redhawk in SS .357 mag with a 5 inch barrel.  I was also impressed with it's trigger in both DA and SA.  DA is only 4,5 lbs according to the salesman, single maybe 3.-3.5.  I was happy until he tells me I'm delayed.  WTH?  I just got an interim secret clearance and had 2 DOD backround checks in the last 6 months plus a sheriff's for a concealed carry permit and I get delayed?  First time ever.  So I now have to wait up to a week.  I feel like i'm in CA or something. 
    Nice looking pistol.
    https://www.colt.com/detail-page/competition-ser70-45acp-bl-81
    Thats cool Ruger put a 5"inch barrel on that gun......
    BTW.  the ruger is an 8 shot cylinder.