Home Main Category General Firearms

Bad Factory Ammo

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 1,350 Senior Member
Having decided that getting stuck without ammo in another shortage, I decided to try my hand at reloading with 300 BO  as my first project.   With my 300 BO pistol finally complete, I took it to the range To test it for function, I planned to test it with a box of factory ammo before moving on to my reloads.  If worked flawlessly over 110 rounds.

After I fired the first mag of factory ammo, I discovered that the factory brass looked to have been trimmed by a drunk with a Dremel tool.

For those people who have experience as AR shooters, could you explain the dent on the neck of this case (handmade by me)?  I think my rounds are hitting something as they are ejecting.  Brass deflector?

Can I reload them?

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I don't know what they're hitting as I have no AR experience. You can reload them. The question will become how many times.
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 441 Member
    Pretty typical of an AR that has good momentum of the BCG and slings the brass against the deflector. I dont reload but I imagine it'll be fine.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,778 Senior Member
    Yep....they are bouncing off you deflector....they will be fine assuming you full length resize...the dent should disappear in the process
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    For quite some time Winchester ammunition has been a huge QC disappointment.  Even with the .350 Legend I was getting pierced primers and fired case lengths that varied in length by about 0.020".
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,026 Senior Member
    Not the first bad report I have heard on the Winchester “USA” line.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,894 Senior Member
    edited June 29 #7
     Since others have already answered your questions, I will add, if you're using a "fixed" gas block, the odds are pretty good that your pistol is SEVERELY "over gassed" with that ammo. The reason I can say that with such confidence? Almost ALL AR's are over gassed from the factory, and the shorter the gas system, the worse they are.

A lot of 300BO pistols, with pistol length gas systems, are designed so they'll work with subsonics, which usually produce quite a bit LESS gas pressure than supersonic ammo.

When I built my first 300BO upper (16" bbl and a carbine length gas system) I went with an adjustable gas block. As I tuned it down, per the instructions, I LITERALLY "dialed out" nearly 1/2 of the recoil, just by slowing down the BCG.

I use the ones made by Superlative Arms that have the option for working as either a restrictive adjustable, or blow-by. I went with them thinking using the blow-by function would reduce the amount of "gunk" getting blown into my suppressors. (In theory). In practice, even opened to it largest blow-by position, the 2 uppers I have them on are still overgassed (never got to the failure to lock back point) and for optimal tuning I have to go to "restrictive" mode.

My latest 300BO is an 8" pistol. It's over gassed to the point that it broke the extractor the very first shot I fired through it, and even with a different bolt, that range trip, it wasn't reliable about feeding.
    I have another of the same adjustable gas blocks to go on it, been waiting because I didn't realize when I bought it, the design of the forend prevents me from being able to install my suppressor, so I ordered a replacement and the local gun shop I used for basic AR work went out of business. I haven't bothered to find a new gunshop to swap out the barrel nut so I can install the new one. I've tried and can't get the current barrel nut off.

Didn't/don't feel like installing the new gas block just to have it removed again when I finally get around to replacing the barrel nut for the new forend

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,894 Senior Member
    On a reloading note, I LOVE Hodgdon's "Li'l Gun" powder for reloading the 300BO <3

Just an FYI, if you're still considering what powder(s) you're wanting to try. 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    I had decent luck with Lil'Gun in my R700-AAC when it was still a .300 BO.  Seemed so odd to be using what would normally be though of a pistol powders in a rifle.  Then again .350L, my .358x1.71 (if we can ever get the gun to feed from the magazine), and my .458x1.8 also run with pistol powders.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,350 Senior Member
    edited June 29 #10
    knitepoet said:
    On a reloading note, I LOVE Hodgdon's "Li'l Gun" powder for reloading the 300BO <3

Just an FYI, if you're still considering what powder(s) you're wanting to try. 
    Thanks.  I am playing with as stash of CFE BLK and Lil’Gun.