Home Main Category General Firearms

Some extreme distances on steel on this past Wednesday at WY-SHOT

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 7,425 Senior Member
Wednesday is a play day for shooting prairie dogs and an opportunity for others to play at distances further than they typically shoot.  None of this is under time or scored.  It is designed for success.  In the videos, all of the guns in the videos are ones that I supplied, with the exception of Mike's 6.5 Creedmoor.  I will actually measure Mike's 4-shot group tomorrow, as we are picking the steel we set-up (5-pieces of steel).  I have hit indicator lights, that light up when you hit the target on each target. 
I also had my center-grip 6.5 PRC XP-100 out there, and one of our local shooters was shooting his rear-grip 6.5 Creed. 
My rear-grip/single-shot 375 Chey-Tac was shot later in the day after some left, as we were trying to get drops confirmed at further distances.  The wind got worse as we progressed.  I had a wedding to officiate at 5:00 in the afternoon, so two local friends:  Dan and Jeremy both the shot the 375 CT.  Pictures of the 375 are forthcoming.
We had 28 participants this year, with 9 first time shooters.  We had three junior shooters, with the youngest one being 10 years old.  If our regulars could have been there, we would have been easily over 35 shooters, which is big for my group.
For some of the distances being shot, we were using up a lot of our internal adjustment, combined with our MOA or MIL reticles, to get enough correction for some of the distances.  These videos are not listed in the order they were shot.

One of our new shooters at 1890 yards.
Bayside Custom Gunworks center-grip 7mm Dakota with my 175 grain ELD-X hunting bullet.
Jim had never shot beyond 200 maybe 300 yards before WY-SHOT, and all of his shooting had been off of the bench previously.
https://youtu.be/StlxcMAcGSQ

Dan Ekstrom shooting the Kauger Arms Black Widow rear-grip specialty pistol chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua
Using the 140 grain Nosler RDF bullet.
15" Barrel, Holland Radial Baffle brake, and a Trigger Tech trigger.
These were first shot connections from cold bore at 1204, then at 1496 yards.
For first shot connections, Dan had never been successful from cold bore at either of these distances.
https://youtu.be/yHD-MWaFpto

Matt Drefke-Winner of the overall at WY-SHOT, made his furthest impact on steel with my 7mm Dakota XP-100 at 2020 yards.  Dan's son and father also shot, which was really cool.  They had a long drive to get here, and drove straight through.  They did the same thing on the way back home.
Yes, this is my hunting bullet being shot here.  175 grain Hornady ELD-X.  I have killed four elk with this set-up, and the distances were all under 300 yards.
https://youtu.be/1Fejtumy204

This is Mike with his new Bayside Custom Gunworks center-grip XP-100 in 6.5 Creed with his best group ever at distance.  This is Mike's second year at WY-SHOT.  He is from the Cheyenne area.
https://youtu.be/NmbZrNX2EpM

Derek (California) and Jim (Kansas) getting hits with the Kauger Arms Black Widow (15" barrel), chambered in 6.5x47L. Nosler 140 RDF bullet at 2445 fps.
https://youtu.be/-pOttxKLSwE

https://youtu.be/uB05y7YeCRA

Dan decided to try to push things even further with the 6.5x47 Lapua Black Widow.  He really loves shooting this gun!  1890 yards.

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,241 Senior Member
    That is amazing shooting!!!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,720 Senior Member
    That's incredible that you folks are reaching beyond the limits of such sophisticated equipment. Maybe custom mounts hand made or developed are in the future. The military reached for civilian equipment during the early years of sniper program development. Maybe again...........
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    Wow!  An impressive array of hardware and some great shooting!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    Fun stuff. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,410 Senior Member
    I wish you lived closer.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,640 Senior Member
    I always find it amazing how far you guys shoot.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    It is fun!
    It is even more fun to see people experience success in areas they didn't think possible.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,850 Senior Member
    I would have a Geargasm at one of those shoots!

Pardon my language 😂
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    edited June 27 #10
    I used to think I wasn't bad at the longish range game, however watching a few of your crew Ernie I realize  I'm but  a rank amateur
    Great day, wish I could be involved in such an event.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    It would be fun to have you, but it is quite a flight to make it over here.  If you ever plan to do other things in the states during the summer, we would love to have you.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    I am so jealous! Those are some nice pieces. My longest opportunities have been 570 yards. 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    That's incredible that you folks are reaching beyond the limits of such sophisticated equipment. Maybe custom mounts hand made or developed are in the future. The military reached for civilian equipment during the early years of sniper program development. Maybe again...........

There are products on the civilian market that would allow me to shoot further.
    Even the way my 7mm Dakota is set up, I have enough internal adjustment through the scope, combined with my MOA reticle, to allow me to go out to about 2,400 yards.
    We didn't set up a target that far, because I knew none of our other shooters, were set up for distances further than 2,000 yards.
    To shoot further, it simply comes down to drop and drift.
    You just need more of it, when you extend the distances.

There is a back story as to why I grabbed my 7mm Dakota out of my vehicle.
    I wanted to finish up the factory ammo (Hornady ammo with the 143 grain ELD-X) I have for my center-grip 6.5 PRC, so I asked if anyone wanted to shoot it.
    Matt Drefke, who I spent time with and did some hunting with (Zee was with us for a day) wanted to shoot it.  Matt put a 3-shot group at 1010 yards with this XP on his own steel range that measured around 3-3.5" (Would need to go back and check) with the factory ammo.  I asked him how far and he said 1890 yards.
    The wind conditions just kept being very switchy, and it seemed like the target had a vendetta against him.  He finally gave up and there were around 6-7 rounds left.  Once the barrel cooled down, I got on the gun and couldn't buy a hit either, and now I had finished up all of that factory ammo.
    Honestly, I was ticked off.  I don't like missing, and the fact that I didn't hit that target was bothering to me.  I just got up and announced, I am getting my Dakota.  I don't know if anyone heard me or not...Didn't really matter, as a target needed to get hit! 
    Went to the vehicle and got it out. 
    I knew I only had about 15 rounds, but I brought if others wanted to give it a try. 
    Now, I am shooting it first. 
    Being a little selfish here.
    Got on my phone, looked up the dope, and got everything ready. 
    Because of the wind, all of our data needed correcting by coming up two MOA or more.
    Pulled a stupid, and didn't think about that.
    First shot was low, and off to the right a little.  Even if I had thought about adding more MOA to the elevation, I still would have missed.
    Dan gave me the correction to center the target, and my second shot was money, just off the bullseye.
    That is all I needed. 
    Then, I let Jim shoot it at 1890, and then Matt wanted to shoot it and I got him on steel at 2020.  Then Jeremy (one of our new shooters who came in third place overall) tried at 2020, but ran out of ammo before he hit it.
    I couldn't have made the shot quickly without the good spotting correction given by Dan.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,720 Senior Member
    Coaching each other in addition to spotting, sounds like a fun and necessary component.
    Freezer said:
    I am so jealous! Those are some nice pieces. My longest opportunities have been 570 yards. 

Well....They make airplanes to get you other places fairly quick B)o:)
    I have loaner specialty pistols for folks that are not set-up with one.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Coaching each other in addition to spotting, sounds like a fun and necessary component.
    With a lot of specialty pistols, you cannot spot your own shots, so a spotter is important.
    The further you shoot the more likely you are to be able to spot your own shot.
    Shooting with others is fun.
    You can learn from others, and hopefully others can learn from you.
    If you want to learn wind, you need to be shooting in wind.
    If you want to learn wind, be spotting for others.
    The more you see wind, feel wind, see mirage, and look at the terrain, and imagine that the wind is water flowing over and around, swirling etc...you start to get a better idea of how to correct for it.
    None of us had wind meters out there.  Well, I had one in my shooters bag, but it never got pulled out.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,780 Senior Member
    Great fun! 
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain