Home Main Category General Firearms

Press Improvments

BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 266 Member
edited July 4 in General Firearms #1
Is your reloading press stock or have you made mods to it.  Aftermarket on your own design.  I have added quite a few "wizbangs" to my 650 and ordered a few more today.  All purchased.  I put knobs on the powder drop adjustments, nice improvement, A ball and spring kit under the shellholder and i have not yet to install the kits that are supposed to tighten up the toolheads.  Plus a fancy LED light.  Today I ordered a device to make emptying the powder from the hopper easier, no taking stuff apart, improved powder through expander, so coated bullets don't get shaved and a stop switch for the primer system so they don't keep feeding when you don't want them to. Unique Tek Has cool stuff for every press I think.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,779 Senior Member
    I run a stock Forster Single Stage Co-Axel. 

No complaints yet. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 266 Member
    Supposed to be very good presses I hear.  I need to get something like that for Rifle rounds.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,779 Senior Member
    edited July 4 #4
    BamaakII said:
    Supposed to be very good presses I hear.  I need to get something like that for Rifle rounds.
    That’s mostly what I load. Revolver rounds would be second and pistol a very distant last place. Only pistol I load for are 10mm and .45 ACP hunting/defensive rounds. Not high volume. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    edited July 4 #5
     You guys would laugh me out of the club if you saw my rigged up little portable press.... :'(

Edit
    Howabout sand bag improvements?

Two were leaking. I wraped them in plastic bags. Rewraped them in old denim. And sewed and taped up the ends.

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,374 Senior Member
    the only mods on all of my presses is that i mount them to a 3/4 or 1" piece of plywood so then i can use clamps to secure them to my bench.  I can easily swap them when i want.

Last year or so on a different gun board, someone was selling some LED arrays and so i got several of them to use and play with.  I havent had any chance to install since i havent reloaded in years.  But i have alot of brass to process so that will happen soon.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,080 Senior Member
    Before I upgraded to a turret press, I engineered a way to make the Lee hand press bench mounted

ill see if I have pics anywhere 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,080 Senior Member

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Now we're high techin' baby!

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    edited July 5 #10
    The only mod I have made is to use a free Sig bag as my turret press’s dust cover.  I wrap the bag handles around it and secure the whole thing with a bungee.

• BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 266 Member
    I just toss a towel over over my lee turret to keep the spiders out.  My Dillon I have their fancy zippered nylon cover.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    I just toss a towel over over my lee turret to keep the spiders out.  My Dillon I have their fancy zippered nylon cover.
    I snagged a couple of old pillow cases out of a drawer when the wife wasn't looking. One covers the Lee and the other the Hornaday.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,990 Senior Member
    Only mods to my old Lyman press is removing the primer arm and feed. 
    I prefer hand priming and those parts on the press just got in the way of feeding it cases
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,845 Senior Member
    I use a stock RCBS Rockchucker press.  It has never even occurred to me to make modifications to it.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    I bought a few factory options for my XL650 way back when I got it based of recommendations of an existing user.  Added the bullet tray, roller hand elevation plates to the stock setup, especially the former 2.  The roller handle keeps from constantly having to adjust your wrist around the stock ball handle over thousands of rounds of handgun loads.  It seem minor but, the comfort factor is very nice.  The bullet tray puts them right next to the loading station, spreads the projectiles out nicely and speeds things up versus digging through the box on the bench for the next one.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    one thing i did for my presses and equipment but not for its use.  I made some storage/carry cases for them.  

Its easier to store them in a nice box than to toss them on a shelf someplace.  
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,828 Senior Member
    Since I just got 2 Dillon Square Deal B's and currently don't have enough room to permanently mount both of them, I'm really considering ordering their machine upgrade kit.  I could mount the "Strong Mount" to my bench and just swap the 2 machines out as I need to use them.  I can't see that I'll ever need to have both of them set up at the same time anyway.  And adding the empty case bin and the bullet tray would be nice.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/square-deal-b-machine-upgrade-kit_8_119_26714.html

For the time being, I just have one machine screwed to the top of my work bench so I could clean it up and get to know how to use it.  If I want to use the other one, I can swap them out using the same holes in the bench.  At least until I get my new man cave going and have more room...

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Jay - if the intent is to swap machines periodically, the strong mount is likely the way to go.  I have that on the XL650.  I'm not familiar with the base on Square Deal B press, but the mounting screws will probably be easier to access since the whole thing sits higher and the strong mount has relatively thin elevation plates that should accommodate a ratchet and box wrench well.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    edited July 10 #19
    Thanks Six. Kinda what I thought. It would only be temporary. This fall when the temperatures cool down I’m going to be getting a 40’x8’ shipping container set on the ground out here for my new man cave. Frame it in, insulate, sheetrock, cut a hole in the side for a walk through door and seal the big double doors off.  Of course electrical, heat and AC... gonna be a project. But I’ll have a lot more bench and cabinet space when I’m done. 
    edited July 10 #20
    Jay said:
    Thanks Six. Kinda what I thought. It would only be temporary. This fall when the temperatures cool down I’m going to be getting a 40’x8’ shipping container set on the ground out here for my new man cave. Frame it in, insulate, sheetrock, cut a hole in the side for a walk through door and seal the big double doors off.  Of course electrical, heat and AC... gonna be a project. But I’ll have a lot more bench and cabinet space when I’m done. 
    If you dont mind me asking about the shipping containers..

how much and does it include delivery?  

I would love to do a shipping container home (not 1 unit, but multiple) and at one time years ago a 30 footer (not delivered) was about 2 or 3K.

You can PM me too....thanks
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    Price seems to vary depending on condition. Some of them spent time on the ocean and can be pretty rusty. The ones I’ve priced around here run $1700-$2000 for the 40’ containers in decent to good condition, delivered. I’d also imagine price varies based on location. I live near the border and the area is a major railroad hub with shipments between here and Mexico being transported by train in and out of here. Shipping containers are everywhere.... 

It does seem to be popular to build houses with them. I considered getting 2 of them and joining them together to make a 40’x16’ shop. For now I’ll just do one and leave the option open to add another one later. 
    Jay said:
    Price seems to vary depending on condition. Some of them spent time on the ocean and can be pretty rusty. The ones I’ve priced around here run $1700-$2000 for the 40’ containers in decent to good condition, delivered. I’d also imagine price varies based on location. I live near the border and the area is a major railroad hub with shipments between here and Mexico being transported by train in and out of here. Shipping containers are everywhere.... 

It does seem to be popular to build houses with them. I considered getting 2 of them and joining them together to make a 40’x16’ shop. For now I’ll just do one and leave the option open to add another one later. 
    I havent priced them in 5+ years and i only looked at 30 footers.  Also didnt think about "delivery" at that time either.

YEs, condition can vary alot.  Also there are some 8? foot tall units too.  Im still playing with the design, so not set on any size since i can lengthen/shorten as desired.

my books  mentioned the treated plywood flooring can be toxic.  Some remove it and some will encapsulate it in some epoxy but something to consider if you will be around/in it for long periods.

we have some shipping container graveyards in town so prices shouldnt be too bad.  

thanks for the info...

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    It does seem like the 40’ containers around here can actually be cheaper than some of the shorter ones in some cases. Not sure if that’s due to condition or demand. I’ll also say my prices are based on a few we got for work and the construction company my dad works for buying them for storage containers. I’ll try to source mine through those same sources based on that. 

I didnt know that about the floors. Most of the ones I’ve seen have pretty rough floors. Already planned on covering the entire floor with new plywood. 

The common heights I’ve seen are 8’6” and 9’6”. 
    Jay said:
    It does seem like the 40’ containers around here can actually be cheaper than some of the shorter ones in some cases. Not sure if that’s due to condition or demand. I’ll also say my prices are based on a few we got for work and the construction company my dad works for buying them for storage containers. I’ll try to source mine through those same sources based on that. 

I didnt know that about the floors. Most of the ones I’ve seen have pretty rough floors. Already planned on covering the entire floor with new plywood. 

The common heights I’ve seen are 8’6” and 9’6”. 
    Im sure the price you can get via the company will probably be close for what you want.  

Thanks for the heights, my book goes over the dimensions, but dont have them handy.  Im looking at the taller ones so i can run utilities in ceiling.  Having those removable ceiling panels is nice for future work and install.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Jay if you can, get a high cube container.  That extra couple inches in height makes it feel way taller.  I have stuffed and unstuffed many of them over the years. 7' 10" compared to 8" 8" can make a big difference 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    I'm like Jerry Bob. I have an old One Lung RCBS Rock Chucker. I currently don't load for handguns. But I'm really thinking of getting me some dies and loading for my .357, .45, and my 2 9mms. But I'll still use the Rock Chucker. It works and it came from the factory with all the mods I'll ever need.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    Angry morning.  Planned to load 100 rounds of 300 BO this morning.  As I normally do, I checked everything for the first couple of rounds including a case gage.

After the first 50 were done, I threw the last one in the case gage.No go.  Worse, the last 46 had the same problem.  

I am not positive, but I think I accidentally bumped my crimp die and overcrimped causing a bulge.  

By the time I took them apart and reset everything, the N Texas heat was in full bloom and I’ll have to wait for tomorrow to get some done.