Home Main Category General Firearms

Beat up rusty guns

Sporty726Sporty726 Posts: 20 New Member
Hi, new to this and I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I am looking for some project gun fairly cheap. I really want a model 94 that needs lots of help. "I know I'm probably asking a lot". I would also like other model 30-30 or 32 special lever action rifles or rough 9mm hand guns. Been on some auction sights. Not too much luck yet. Thanksvfor any insight. 

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,757 Senior Member
    edited July 7 #2
    Start haunting your local gun shops used gun section...you might well find what you're looking for...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,745 Senior Member
    First of all, welcome.  Don't forget pawn shops and auctions.  Even flea markets might have something you're looking for.  If the state you live in allows private transfers without a lot of hassle, check want ads, etc.

Keep in mind that any sort of retail store will be required to run a background check, and may charge a hefty fee for that.  It's a good idea to know how much the store charges before plunking your money down.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,253 Senior Member
    Most folks that have rough guns won’t sell in gunbroker.  BY the time you are done listing paying fees, shipping etc you’d lose money.  Try Armslist local to you, and as has been said cruise the local gun shops and pawn stores and let them know what you’re looking for.  
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 520 Senior Member
    Used racks at local gunshops is the place. The 9mm handguns are a bit tough post covid.
  • Sporty726Sporty726 Posts: 20 New Member
    Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately I have been to the gun shops in my area. The answers I get are we don't take in rough guns or sell them.  It's actually very strange how most of the shops around here don't want to answer any questions.  I went to buy a new 9mm and had a few simple questions and it was like it was a bother to answer.  Needless to say I have been a bit turned off. 
    Might have to travel to other gun shops...I used to make 100 mile round trips to my favorite place...
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    What questions do you have?  We might can come up with an answer. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited July 7 #9
    All gun stores are not alike.

What you want to find is one that deals with more used stuff than new.
    Like Jayhawker said the right ones are worth going out of the way for.

I have a good one 10 minutes away.

He keeps me in poverty and laughs about it.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,005 Senior Member
    What part of the country are you in?

Also- look at gun shows, if there are any in your area.  Sometimes you find a deal.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,285 Senior Member
    Gun shops, not clothes stores that sell guns. Start haunting them 4 weeks before deer season, before and after Christmas, and around tax time.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    I am in Midwestern Wisconsin,  there is just nothing happening right now in this area. Covid killed everything. 

Zee, I just had some gun specific questions on some of the guns I was looking at.  Did my own research and bought a beretta apx. I really like it. 
    edited July 7 #13
    oh you just need to talk to a member here .
    I believe his name is big Al he can give you a map of where to go.

all kind of lever here Al never stops by to visit
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,745 Senior Member
    I've found guns in garage sales, too.  If you have estate sales in the area, that's also a good place to look.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    . The upper midwest is the rusty gun capital of the U.S. if ya know where to look, I had a gun shop in Wi. for years, used to hit the farm auctions for "barn guns"  You might just be surprised what ya might find.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,758 Senior Member
    edited July 8 #17
    oh you just need to talk to a member here .
    I believe his name is big Al he can give you a map of where to go.

all kind of lever here Al never stops by to visit
    You expect me to give up all my secrets!! 
    Just hit every small/midsized town gun shop you can find. Wis. Rapids, Steven Point, Wausaw, Medford, Sheboygan, Superior/Duluth, Lomira!! Had good luck in all those places.
    There's a lot of good gun shows up there, too.  Fon Du Lac, Marshfield, Ashland, Appleton. It's a quest, man!! The fun is in the hunt!!

Where you at!! I used to live in Tomah!
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,763 Senior Member
    If you're willing to travel (which kind of negates the cost-savings of buying a beater) possibly the "beat/rusted gun club" capitol is located in south-central Louisiana. Salt air/high humidity but far enough inland there are no drying breezes,,,,Bingo! It's likely already been beat up by bouncing on ATV's.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Winchester '94's are like buses - you just have to wait for the next one.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I live just north of Eau Claire 
    oh can you tell big Al when you get a chance that I know he doesn't like shotguns so I bought a rifle for him instead...….; 
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    Be patient with the gun store owners, they get jaded after dealing with to many idiots. The owner of LGS in Californiastan where I lived wouldn't give me the time of day at first. I kept visiting and he figured out I was ok. I got some great deals there as did both of my sons and their friends, I can't remember all the rough guns I bought there. I repaired them and gave them to friends in need.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,419 Senior Member
    edited July 8 #23
    Sporty726 said:
    I live just north of Eau Claire 
    You live in lever action central, start looking, ask neighbors, family, and co-workers, you will get a lead pretty quick I would guess.

Welcome, hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    Remember that depending on the gun and what you consider as "rough" the level of "help" could end up damaging a collectible example. Gathering information about a firearm's provenance before doing something more than a superficial metal cleaning with an oiled cloth and wiping the wood with a rag might be a sound decision.

Good luck with your projects!
    That's nice work..

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,419 Senior Member
    Much better, well done.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,780 Senior Member
    Auctions are a good choice. Somebody mentioned it already but word of mouth is effective. 
    There are many ‘old’ gun owners with no one to give their guns and equipment to. No children or kids not interested. I got all my reloading equipment for pennies from an older gentleman who wanted a ‘gun guy’ to have it.

Keep asking around, leave yr name ate pawn shops and gun stores, you never know.

good luck and welcome!

"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,758 Senior Member
    edited July 9 #30
    That's really nice work!! That's what I enjoys the most these day, taking an old worn out,  neglected closet queen and bringing it back to it's original glory!! It's an addiction and there is no cure, just therapy, which you are already getting with your first restoration!!

BTW your bench is way to clean!!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,253 Senior Member
    Addiction is the right word.  My “projects” keep piling on... 🤣

Sporty, that Winchester came out great.  Good job!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”