Home Main Category General Firearms

What was you "Blind Squirrel shot?

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,737 Senior Member
edited July 8 in General Firearms #1
Orchardman got me thinking...Even the blind squirrel finds a nut. What's your blind squirrel shot?

Mine came about  10 years ago when I was visiting my brother in PA. I had repaired some guns for him and couldn't bring my favorite deer rifle a Savage 99f 308 with a 2x7 Leupold and a good trigger job. As luck would have it his FIL had a Savage 99 in 300 Savage with a 4x Galaxy over see through rings, a 9 lb trigger and a box of 40 year old 180 gr Remington Core Locs with two rounds missing. 

It was near the end of the day and nobody had shot a buck, this never happened in 25 years on this property. I was was in a ground stand in an open field and at the other end of the field at the drop off a heard of deer came out. I studied the heard with my binoculars and noticed a decent buck on the drop of the hill. I estimated the distance to be 300 yards.  Because he was standing on the down slope I couldn't see his legs and half of his chest. I figured My best chance was a neck/head shot and figured the bullet drop would be about 28 inches. If I missed at that distance I might get a second shot. I set for the shot and squeezed the trigger three time before the trigger broke. When my eyes cleared the deer wasn't there. I stepped of the distance 287 yards. He fell where he stood on the drop of the hill.

The bullet entered slightly below and to the rear of his eye and didn't exit! A non typical basket 11 point.

My second was a Scotch Double on Mallards. It was a slow day in the blind when three Mallards started circling. Every hunter in the area started wailing on their Mallard calls. I thought about it I figured Mallard don't know Sprig! I pulled out my Pintail call and started calling, they broke toward me and set their wings! I could believe what I saw and waited until they were 25 yards out. They were coming in in a V shape with the left duck slightly higher than the other two. I stood up, raised my shotgun and  and pulled the trigger just as the higher duck right broke down and in. As both ducks collapsed. I felt like Erkel, "Did I do that?". I could have easily dropped the third but was dumfounded watching those two big ducks drop with one shot.   
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    When I was in college, I shared a trailer house with a roommate who had grown up on a ranch in the Texas hill country.  He invited me to spend the weekend at his ranch one time, and I jumped at the chance.  Only his dad lived there full time.

One afternoon we decided to shoot pistols from his back yard.  There was a huge rock about 7-8 hundred yards away.  I thought out loud as to whether or not I could hit that rock with my Smith & Wesson M&P .38 Special.  My friend's dad laughed.

So, of course, I tried it.  I hit it dead center on my very first shot.  We were all amazed.  But, I proved it to be pure dumb luck as I tried several more times and never came close.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,426 Senior Member
    edited July 8 #3
    I had a forkhorn walk in to about 40 yds and picked my spot behind his shoulder on the right with a .300 Win Mag and a 3X9 Bushnell Sportview set on 3 and let one fly, he spun hard to his right and did a 360 and it was looking like I missed so I aimed at the right shoulder again and sent a second one at him, when I found him piled up 10- 20 yds away there were 2 exit wounds, when I skinned him I could only find one entrance wound, I pretty much put the bullet in the same spot both times, the entrance hole was only a little bigger than it should have been. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member
    edited July 8 #4

Two axis does, one shot from my XP-100
     One in the foreground was head shot, remainder of the bullet jacket lodged in the spine of the second, severing it. I did not even see the second one until the rest of the heard cleared out.

Here's the remainder of the bullet I recovered from #2. That knife edged part of the jacket slipped between the vertebrae

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

My dad shot a deer once, uh, actually twice.  It only had one entry hole, and was running away from him when he made the first shot.  After searching for it, he found it when it was trying to escape by dragging itself with just its front legs.  He finished it then and there, and that produced the only bullet hole.

I guess you could say he gave the poor animal a hot lead enema.
    Jerry

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,008 Senior Member
    One that stands out to me is when I was probably 16 years old, we were shooting grackles (nasty black birds) at his house, and I saw one land at the top of a live oak about 200 yards off.  I was trying to point out where it was to my buddy, and I got frustrated and said “Right over THERE!” And took a potshot at it with the Marlin model 60 With a cheap Bushnell 4x scope (There was a backstop of a hill behind the shot).

The bird flapped up from the tree for maybe 5 feet before folding up and plummeting to the ground.  
    We hiked over to where it fell, and the bullet basically nicked the side of its neck.  I had cut it’s throat from almost 200 yards with a .22LR.

I have another where I hit a bumble bee flying around a thistle head at probably 70 yards with a blast from an 18” barreled 12 gauge.  It was one of those “See that bee down there?” And snapped off a hip shot.  Well, the bee dropped from the air.  Both the witnesses busted out laughing.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,759 Senior Member
    My cousin and I were quail/pheasant hunting in Kansas along a wooded streambeds when the dogs started going crazy and took off after....something...next thing you know there's a turkey sailing back towards us over the Cottowoods...since the fall turkey season was still open, my cousin took a poke at it with his 16 gauge 1100...the bird kept flying, gaining altitude and about 100 yards out, it folded up and crashed to the ground...later, as I was cleaning the thing I couldn't find any pellet wounds....finally found a single #6 shot in the birds brain pan....talk about the a Golden BB...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,635 Senior Member
    4 squirrels with one shotgun shell------

I was hunting squirrels from aground stand watching a thicket with a large live oak and several shellbark hickories. It wasn't long after sunup that a couple of squirrels started running around in the live oak and two finally gave me a shot.

At the shot one dropped out of the tree and about 30 sec later the other one dropped out, both dead. Then about a minute later another one dropped out of the tree dead.

Then just as I was going to go retrieve the dead squirrels, a bigger one started running around in the live oak as if its tail was on fire. It jumped from the live oak to a hickory sapling and started down toward the ground and just before I shot at it , it fell dead.

So, half a limit with one shot.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,767 Senior Member
    Ned, that's an incredible story. I once shot at a running squirrel with a 20 Ga. Thought I missed him. Decided to wait a few minutes to see if he'd show himself again. About 10 minutes into the wait he dropped dead as a door-nail from the tree.

But, that's not my "blind squirrel" story.

Louisiana, early fall......leaves still thick as hay bales. I'm using a scoped 10/22T.  It was slow that morning, but I finally heard one gnawing beech-nuts. Decided to wait him out. 45 minutes of waiting and he never moved. But the shower of beech-nut shells raining down on me was amazing. I wasn't going to give up.

To make a long wait short, he suddenly broke and ran for no reason I've ever figured out.. I threw up my rifle, and fired a shot out of anger in his general direction. I never saw the squirrel, much less got it in the scope. 3 seconds later he hit the ground 20 feet from my feet. Perfect brain-shot.

Things happen.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 424 Member
    Not a hunter so mine isn't firearm related, but when I was around 13 or so, a friend and I were in his backyard which consisted of a few acres just as we watched a big fat dove land on the fence that ran along the back property line. I dont recall how far away it was beside it being a descent throwing distance. As I reached down to pick up a mud clump and form in my hand, my buddy says "yeah right", as he knew what I was going to do. I threw that mud ball like artillery being lobbed into a target. It went up in the air nearly blindly, arched down like a rainbow and blasted that bird dead right off the fence. Surprised the hell out of both of us. I saw that old friend a few months ago for the first time in a while and he actually brought that story up. I had forgotten all about it.
    Mike:

This is another squirrely squirrel what happened story; I had gone out in the forest late after it warmed up to 45 or so after a below freezing night. After I had walked off the dirt road about 50 yds, a white squirrel came from nowhere and ran out about 45 long paces or so and peaked through a main tree trunk crotch at me; I could not resist shooting at it, even though I knew it was too far for a shotgun even loaded with the #2 shot I was using. 

I, at least, went over and checked the area even though I did not see it fall; and there it was. Being white I should have found blood----I could not----even the taxidermist said he could not find where it had been hit------I guess a pellet went in the ear hole.

(I post this some years earlier)

edited July 9 #12
    Ned,

I was creeping down an old logging road with my trusty 10/22T, Had already busted 3 squirrels along the way and decided to pick them up on the way back. It was getting dark when one presented itself as the perfect target.... head-down against a 3 foot live oak. 

Popped him, he hit the ground with a "thud", and I decided to hunt for ten more minutes.

That was it for the day. Upon retreat, I couldn't find him. The other 3.....no problem.

One week later I was hunting the same trail. Got to the same tree. Got the exact same shot presentation. Scored. Picked up the squirrel and later at home skinned him along with the rest.

A 22 cal hole through the meaty part of his thigh indicated we'd met previously. Well healed, not lethal. He should have lived to be an old squirrel. But he wasn't a smart squirrel.

Mike

N454casull
    edited July 9 #13
    I'll admit this, and not ashamed to........

I've shot dozens of deer, hundreds of ducks, a few hundred rabbits, 5 antelope, 2 bison, 1 elk, uncounted armadilllos, possums, raccoons, snakes, and way more uncounted thousands of pdogs, and a few well loved pets. Most, with the exception of pets, I can do with complete aplomb.

But squirrels, of all things, after 50+ years of hunting them....still give me the shakes.

Don't know why. It might be the cat and mouse thing.

Mike
    N454casull
    I shot a squirrel once that I must have missed with the shot and knocked it out with the wad that was sticking out the side of it's head; thought it was dead and dropped it in the group of dead squirrels I had laying next to the cushion I sit on and lean back against a tree.

The squirrel came to and started chattering causing me to jump out of my skin and ran off10 yds or so and stopped still chattering-----I had to shoot it again.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    Have you ever barked a squirrel? I heard an ol tail of the settlers "barking squirrels". Their squirrel guns would destroy a squirrel if it well and the expensive lead ball would be lost. Instead they would shoot below the squirrel and the concussion would kill the squirrel and they could retrieve the lead. I thought this was hog wash.

I was hiking and hunting the Cascades in Northern California. Where I was there weren't many people but a lot of bear and cougar. The only thing that out numbered them were the squirrels and they would harass you and rat you out wherever you went.

On day I was scouting the woods and a very large squirrel just wouldn't leave me alone! I had moved almost 200 yards and the dang thing kept following me! I had no intention of killing it but and thought I might teach him a lesson he'd never forget. I drew my Ruger Security Six and aimed at the branch below him. At 35 yards I squeezed of the shot and hit the tree branch square just below his belly. The squirrel jumped from the branch and hung on to the trunk of the tree, then fell over dead. I was dumbfounded. I took it back to the cabin for further examination, not a spot of blood on him. I barked a squirrel!

I'm a believer  :o

I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,532 Senior Member
    Pretty much, every time I hit the target past 100 yards. 😁
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,031 Senior Member
    A few years back my buddy and I were hunting hogs at a buddies ranch in the middle of the night.  He decided to join me around 1 am in the box blind I was hunting.  We were hunting a feeder about 30 yards out from the blind.  At the time we had red Hog Sniper spot lights attached to our scopes.  Shortly after he got there we heard a grunt by the feeder.  He switch on his light and there had to be 2 dozen hogs under the feeder.  We never heard them come in until the one grunted. It wasn't easy picking out hogs that presented us with a shot that we could pull the trigger together on when we counted 3.

I'd say I have a shot and he said I don't.  Then he'd have a shot and I wouldn't.  Finally I said I have a shot, my buddy said I have a shot.  Quietly we counted 1, 2 BANG!  Hogs took off every which way.  Only one hog lay dead under the feeder.  We both said I know I didn't miss as I took a head shot.  My buddy said the exact same thing.  We go down to the hog and turned on our flashlights.  He dropped dead in his track.  On the back side of his head you could see red blood that sprayed in a "V" pattern where both are shots hit him and passed through his head.  With two dozen plus hogs, we picked the same one to shoot!  I said nice shooting, he said same to you!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Anyone who has been around crows knows they are very smart. When a crow near a road sees a vehicle stop it almost always flies away.

My uncle and I started carrying a .410 pump shotgun with a pistol grip in his truck when making trips through crow country. Our idea was to blast the crows from the truck without stopping.

On our first chance to try this silly idea we turned from one road onto another and spotted a crow about 15 yards from the highway in a field. I grabbed the .410, my uncle rolled down the window (he was driving) and I made some effort to actually aim the gun and blasted away. We were rolling around 15-20 mph.

Crow rolled over dead on the spot! After that I never attempted a similar shot even though a couple of opportunities presented themselves - no sense in messing up my average!

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 304 Member
    The very first deer I ever shot.  The guys I worked with and I were all pretty green and no one had yet managed to harvest a deer.  One of the guy's relatives had some property bordering state land with an old mobile home on it that had been converted to a bunk house.

A couple of us went up for the first weekend of firearms season.  Another guy had been up there all week and was leaving to try another parcel of land in the next county.  He had hauled a refrigerator carton out into the woods maybe half a mile from the bunk house and brushed it out for a ground blind. 

He told me how to find it and said I could use it if I wanted too, he had set it near a run and had found some fresh rubs. 

I sat out there on Saturday evening, and as the sun had not yet set it was still getting pretty dark in the pine woods.  I kept checking the iron sights on my Marlin 336C and figured as long as I could still align the sights on a target I'd be good. 

Well, just at the time I figured it was time to call it a day I spotted a spike that had quietly wandered in behind me busily worrying a sapling.  I readied the Marlin and could not make out the sights against his body.  He was standing over a patch of snow, so I aimed into the snow, found my sights, moved to just behind his near foreleg, raised the rifle until I lost the sight picture against his body and fired. 

The buck literally dropped in his tracks, made an attempt to stand and fell back over.  I trotted back to the bunk house where everybody else was already inside eating and drinking beer and told them I had just killed a deer. 

They all called BS and said they hadn't heard any shot.  I cleared my rifle and stowed it and told them I was off to bring back my deer.  After I had been gone for nearly an hour they got curious and came out of the bunk house to see me dragging the deer in. 

None of us knew how to field dress a deer, so we did it wrong and hung it from a tree limb by it's neck.  After I had everything below the diaphragm out on the ground I started to cut up through the ribs along side the sternum and got soaked past my elbow from all the blood that came gushing out - along with the heart which fell to the ground. 

Every beer can I cracked open that night tasted like blood but I'd finally gotten a deer with the most blind shot I'd ever taken before or since.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,122 Senior Member
    I was walking the cheat grass in Montana with a friend hoping to roust some sharp-tailed grouse.  I spotted 2 frozen and tell my buddy to be ready to shoot: he would take the left bird and I would take the right one per our relative positions.  When the birds went up, I led the right bird and squeezed...dropping both birds in one shot and cheating my buddy out of his.  

I have killed many double while duck hunting - intentionally, I might add, as they typically flock together - but this was not intentional and I'd never done it before on upland birds.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,703 Senior Member
    I hit a 4" steel circle with my iron sighted Glock 19 offhand at 100yds away once, on the first shot. After that I holstered the gun and stopped shooting for the afternoon. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    This is a story that was told to my 5th grade class by one of my class mates.  It's probably true, as the kid telling the story seemed pretty pumped about it.  Here's the story, as told by Albert.

He was at his grandfather's farm, and was going to shoot a high powered rifle for the first time in his life.  I don't know the details of the rifle.  The way he described it, he was instructed to get in a kneeling position to make the shot.  Just as he fired, a deer just happen to wander in front of the rifle, and the shot hit it in the throat or neck.  Whichever it was, it resulted in a dead deer.

I don't know if it's true, but it makes for a good tall tale.
    Jerry