Home Main Category Clubhouse

Box Office bombs that you actually enjoyed watching.

13»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,107 Senior Member
    Tugar said:
    Couldn't stand Event Horizon. It was billed at the scariest movie since the Exorcist.. No, maybe the loudest movie since the Exorcist. The cut scenes into the the Event horizon was just people flailing around and spurting blood. It made no sense. Meh. 

To me, Kilmer made Tombstone. Russell was good as far as that goes, but Kilmer went over the top. 

Like its subject matter, "Event Horizon" was sliced and diced - which never results in a good movie. Unfortunately, the deleted scenes are apparently lost forever, there'll never be a "director's cut". Sort of like the theatrical release of "The Abyss" - it didn't make any sense at the end, but the director's cut does!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,570 Senior Member
    This one bombed horribly at its initial release, and is now a cult classic

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,009 Senior Member
    The Rocketeer,  Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I wouldn't pay to see any of these, though.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 380 Member
    Bill Murray's version of The Razors Edge fared very poorly at the box office, but I would watch it again.  Probably wouldn't ever buy it, but definitely watch it if it was available to do so.  

Seems nobody wanted to see Murray in a serious role in his early years, much like Belushi's Continental Divide, although that movie was better received.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
    knitepoet said:

Never understood this one, I've seen it twice and that was two times too many.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,213 Senior Member
    This was a box office bomb for the first 10 years of it's existence. Released in 1939 it didn't start making money for MGM until 1949. The rest is history. 👍

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,145 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    knitepoet said:

I may (I did say may) have to agree to disagree on this one! I was in HS when it was released and it seemed to become an instant cult classic!  It played for years around us at the local movie theaters primarily around the 9:30 and 11:30 PM time slots at the movies on Friday and Sat night!  Like you I went a few times on dates, never understood or got into the whole movie thing.  However, I have friends who saw it over a 100 times back in the day.

I guess if you looked at it as a hit in movie theaters that ran all day everyday for a summer run you might say it bombed.  It  did filled a night time niche on weekends  for many years! 
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,162 Senior Member
    Has anyone mentioned A Boy And His Dog.  Somewhat strange, to say the least, but I liked it.

If you want to see early Don Johnson, this is the one.

And speaking of young, check out Fandango, starring Kevin Costner.  Some of that was filmed near my home town. 

I also like Costner in Silverado.  In fact, I like that movie, and would watch it again.  Brian Dennehy played a good bad guy.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    zorba said:
    knitepoet said:

I may (I did say may) have to agree to disagree on this one! I was in HS when it was released and it seemed to become an instant cult classic!  It played for years around us at the local movie theaters primarily around the 9:30 and 11:30 PM time slots at the movies on Friday and Sat night!  Like you I went a few times on dates, never understood or got into the whole movie thing.  However, I have friends who saw it over a 100 times back in the day.

I guess if you looked at it as a hit in movie theaters that ran all day everyday for a summer run you might say it bombed.  It  did filled a night time niche on weekends  for many years! 
    I'm well aware of its hyper cult status - and if people like/love it, more power to them! Just not my thing - I don't care for it, I don't really understand it (obviously). I don't despise it, just isn't my thing. It seems very poorly made too - but a lot of cult films are that way. Heck, there's no accounting for taste, I adore "Time Bandits", probably the stupidest movie ever made! Never mind the nonsensical "Phantasm" series that I also like.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,364 Senior Member
    Has anyone mentioned A Boy And His Dog.  Somewhat strange, to say the least, but I liked it.

And speaking of young, check out Fandango, starring Kevin Costner.  Some of that was filmed near my home town. 

I also like Costner in Silverado.  In fact, I like that movie, and would watch it again.  Brian Dennehy played a good bad guy.
    LOVED “Fandango”.  Never knew it was a bomb, but it was a really good movie.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,220 Senior Member

One of my favorites...especially trying to tow the Cadillac with a freight train....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    edited July 2020 #73

zorba said:
    knitepoet said:

Rocky Horror is billed as a sci-fi/horror comedy musical. It's really just a parody of crappy B-movie sci-fi and horror from the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. I have a lot of crappy B-movie sci-fi and horror movies from those decades and there's a lot to make fun of. Rocky Horror just threw many of the most memorable "Bad" scenes together in a blender added musical numbers and hit frappe. Out popped Rocky Horror.
    I hated it when it came out. I remember saying some choice words about folks that liked it back then. I won't repeat those things now. 😁
    Anyway, many attempts later, I managed to watch the whole thing and today, while still not on my fav list, I can appreciate it for the artistic vision that it is.
    Also, with a budget of 1.4 million, it made just over 140 million at the box office (because it became a cult classic) so that's not a bad return on investment by any standard. 💰

But Tim Curry in that getup is still disturbing! 😬
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

The airplane hanger scene in Fandango was filmed at the Rattlensnake Air Base in Pyote, Tx.  The air base was heavily used during WWII, and both my grandfather, uncle and older cousins worked there at one time or another.  My grandfather was a gate guard, I believe.

The Enola Gay was also stationed there in the late 40s.

I have 2 cousins who grew up in Pyote, which is about 15 miles from where I grew up.  I spent a lot of time there when I was a kid.

The air base is now gone, as is most of Pyote.  It had it's glory days during the oil boom of the early 1900s as well as during WWII.
    Jerry

Spk said:

Rocky Horror is billed as a sci-fi/horror comedy musical. It's really just a parody of crappy B-movie sci-fi and horror from the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. I have a lot of crappy B-movie sci-fi and horror movies from those decades and there's a lot to make fun of. Rocky Horror just threw many of the most memorable "Bad" scenes together in a blender added musical numbers and hit frappe. Out popped Rocky Horror.
    Thank you for this. Next time I'm stuck watching it, I'll keep this in mind and maybe I'll appreciate it a bit more. I learned something today. Maybe not anything particularly useful, but I still learned it! :D

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Huge bomb at the box office but turned into a great hit on TV and streaming services!

True classic and an incredibly well-made film.  I've actually been to the prison where it was filmed in Ohio  They do audio tours and have scene descriptions throughout the place now, including the cells/spaces used during the production.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    The 1982 version of "The Thing" with Kurt Russel was overlooked when it was released in theaters.  It's since become a cult classic and absolutely one of my favorite movies ever.  Kurt Russell put on a clinic in horror-drama acting, and the supporting cast was excellent.
    edited July 2020 #78
    Six-Gun said:
    The 1982 version of "The Thing" with Kurt Russel was overlooked when it was released in theaters.  It's since become a cult classic and absolutely one of my favorite movies ever.  Kurt Russell put on a clinic in horror-drama acting, and the supporting cast was excellent.

Maybe it was the beard.
    Maybe it was the glasses. Or maybe it was the bottle of JB he was seen drinking but he brought the coolness in the movie The Thing.

But I think it was the hat. 👍

edited July 2020 #79
    Another dark horror comedy that struggled initially at the box office was Return of the Living Dead.
    If you've ever wondered when and where did zombies start craving brains, it's this movie. There's an entire scene where our heroes "interrogate a zombie and discover the dead are after "brains" not "people" because brains make the pain go away. Apparently, it hurts to be dead!!!
    This film can be described as a sarcastically written horror punk comedy that's both funny and kinda creepy at the same time.
    (the expendables)
    Yes, that's B-movie scream queen Linnea Quigley on the passenger side with red hair. Btw, she spends nearly the entire movie nekkid so this isn't a kid friendly movie. The unlikely girl in white is one of our heroines.
    The main characters in the movie.
    (l-r... Clu Gulager, James Karen and Thom Mathews)
    It's a funny movie but not for everyone. Watch secretly at your own peril. You've been warned. 😁

I remember watching "Night of the Living Dead" at the drive-in back in the 60s.  It was the bloodiest and goriest movie I had ever watched, especially the scene in which some of the living tried to gas up a car while holding off the zombies with a torch.  Needless to say, that did not end well.

And, to top it off, the lone survivor was...  Well, I don't want to give away the ending in case anyone wants to watch it. :)
    Jerry

I remember watching "Night of the Living Dead" at the drive-in back in the 60s.  It was the bloodiest and goriest movie I had ever watched, especially the scene in which some of the living tried to gas up a car while holding off the zombies with a torch.  Needless to say, that did not end well.

And, to top it off, the lone survivor was...  Well, I don't want to give away the ending in case anyone wants to watch it. :)
    Yeah, good luck making that ending fly today. 😂

This Is Spinal Tap did not do well at the box office.  I thought it was funny, and much of it was ad-libbed and really clever.

It's A Wonderful Life was a total box office bomb.  Didn't catch on until it went into syndication on television.

Office Space is probably one of the box office bombs that I have re-watched the most.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee

Absolutely.  Fandango was a GREAT movie.  I can't recall how my dad and I discovered it (probably a recommendation from someone at his job), but we watched it multiple times on VHS rental back in the 80's.
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 261 Member
    Loved Fandango. Since I was skydiving back then that part of the movie was my favorite.
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    knitepoet said:

Neither did I, but then again, I'm not too keen on paying money to see some dude wearing panties and a garter belt. 

edited July 2020 #86
    zorba said:
    knitepoet said:

Neither did I, but then again, I'm not too keen on paying money to see some dude wearing panties and a garter belt. 

Be honest now.  When you hear the first few bars of The Kinks 'Lola' come on the radio do you crank up the volume or change the channel?  :D  

(me?  I crank it up but I have Weird Al's lyrics 'Yoda' in my head...)
    Change the channel...