Home Main Category Clubhouse

Went swimmin'...

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,144 Senior Member
...with a whale shark in the Pacific.  Lots of cool reef fish showed up, too.  That SCUBA certification is looking like a bargain.  Got a night dive in last night.  Nothing like coming with 10 yards of a white tip reef shark in a cave under a flashlight beam.  Awesome 2 days of diving!

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,701 Senior Member
    Wow!!!  That’s awesome!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,144 Senior Member
    Thanks, man.  Took me years to find a time block on a deployment long enough to get SCUBA certified, but finally got it done.  It’s paid off nicely.  This was a truly amazing experience.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,481 Senior Member
    Now that’s a dive!!!!  Very cool!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    If your high and dry you can catch fish. Now the fish can catch you.......
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,659 Senior Member
    Glad you were not mistaken for plankton!
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,754 Senior Member
    Fantastic Experience!
    I got certified back in 1985 and loved every dive I ever made.
    Ruined my ear a few years back, and can no longer equalize.  You are starting with a top notch destination, well done.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,789 Senior Member
    That's just incredible! You joined the  Air Force and got to see the ocean!
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 475 Member
    Incredible pics! 
    And likely no biting flies.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,670 Senior Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,337 Senior Member
    Whale sharks are cool critters. That had to be a blast swimming with one. That one fish seemed to take a lot if interest  in you, the one that looks like an angelfish. They like dry dog food nuggets a lot, and the dog food nuggets don't attract the sharks.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,473 Senior Member
    Glad to see "Went Swimming" did not mean you had to ditch over water :*

Very cool dive, I need to show son #3 this, he caught the diving bug.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    tennmike said:
    Whale sharks are cool critters. That had to be a blast swimming with one. That one fish seemed to take a lot if interest  in you, the one that looks like an angelfish. They like dry dog food nuggets a lot, and the dog food nuggets don't attract the sharks.

It was definitely a unique experience.  That angel fish hung with me nearly the whole time.  He could smell the mushy bagel bits I had on me, I guess.  Once I broke them out, a BUNCH of his buddies swarmed in, but I gave the camera off to my friend who was snorkeling nearby at that point. 
    edited July 10 #14
    If I can get back here in February, there's apparently a good chance that the hammerheads will be pushing through on their way to breed.  Quite a few boat outfitters will take you out to see them for a very reasonable fee.  If the stars align, that's gotta happen.
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 360 Member
    I see you were wearing your mask.  

AlleyCat said:
    I see you were wearing your mask.  

Safest way to play, right?  :D
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,138 Senior Member
    My imagination is WAAYYYYYY to active to have that much water under me......

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Oh, there's stuff down there.  Ooohhh, I'm sure of it.  Nothing more unsettling than looking over a reef cliff that goes deep enough that you can't see anything under you but dark blue nothingness.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,754 Senior Member
    If you enjoy feeding fish, sometime take a can of cheese whiz down with you to the reef.  Be prepared to be swarmed
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    If you enjoy feeding fish, sometime take a can of cheese whiz down with you to the reef.  Be prepared to be swarmed
    Wow - never tried that before.  Done lots of other foodstuffs, but never CheezWhiz.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,234 Senior Member
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,675 Senior Member
    Only got to do it once long ago. But there is nothing quite like exploring the "underworld"!
    Michakav said:
    Only got to do it once long ago. But there is nothing quite like exploring the "underworld"!
    Considering how much of the planet is hidden down there, no question!
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,040 Senior Member
    Welcome to the wonderful world of blowing bubbles underwater.  Love the pics awesome dives!  I was supposed to go diving with sharks last week but that got cancelled.  Now we're hoping to go in Aug or Sept.   

If you have any questions on dives or equipment, myself or Diver 43 would be glad to help answer them.

JUST OUTSTANDING!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Welcome to the wonderful world of blowing bubbles underwater.  Love the pics awesome dives!  I was supposed to go diving with sharks last week but that got cancelled.  Now we're hoping to go in Aug or Sept.   

If you have any questions on dives or equipment, myself or Diver 43 would be glad to help answer them.

JUST OUTSTANDING!
    Thank you, Jeff, on multiple fronts.  I am still very green and very cautious accordingly.  It's not lost on me that there's no substitute for experience and e-course/early dives can only teach you so much.

I was scheduled to start my advanced open water course and NITROX dives today, but weather and sea state went sour.  Gonna try again Saturday.
    You are on the right track!  As I told my son when he started diving with me.  The three biggest things to focus on, work on your buoyancy, control your breathing, relax and have fun! 

You'll know when you have your buoyancy and breathing under control.  When you do your 3 min safety stop at 15' or so, relax, cross/intertwine your legs.  This will prevent you from kicking or moving your legs.  Hold onto your dive computer or depth gauge so that you can see it when you fold your arms so you can watch your depth. Did I mention relax!  Now suspend yourself without movement for the next three min between 15' and 18' or so simply by breathing in and out.  Slowly breath out you'll descend a couple few feet, breath in you'll rise a few feet and slowly keep repeating!   If your air in your BCD is correct for good buoyancy and your controlling your breathing, you'll just stay motionless and suspended between 15' and 18' or so for your safety stop.  It takes work but it's so satisfying and relaxing. 

BTW when you get back on the boat, someone will usually always come over and say, how do you stay suspended like that on your safety stop!  Practice, practice. practice on every dive until it becomes second nature.

I always thought Nitrox was going to be great!  Turns out, you're still at the mercy of the divers who don't control their breathing or buoyancy and blows through their tank before everyone else, at least on group dives.  When I dive by myself, it so so good though most times the dives I book are cattle dives and everyone stays together.  It's all good though, beats being on the surface!

Shoot me a PM with your number if you want to chat about equipment or other dive stuff!  Good luck this weekend!  Let us know how it goes!  I so flipp'n jealous!  

BTW, where exactly were you diving in the pacific with the whale shark and why the net above and around you!  I could tell it was warm as you had no wet suit. I see you were diving with a back plate BCD?  Was it comfortable and did you like it?  I've never dove with one before.  My BCD is a hybrid.  I have an Aqau Lung Axiom with the i3 lever for inflating and deflating which is built into the bottom left of the BCD.  No more powerline hose to inflate or deflate.  Very simple to use.

Also, I saw your Octo was on a neck lanyard.  Easy place to store it using a back plate BCD.  If another diver came up and grabbed it in an emergency would it pull away easily?  Early on I dove with lanyard for my second stage so it was always around my neck and easy access.  Came to find out it was always in my mouth so I didn't need it.  Mine would not pull away from the very lanyard easily.  

edited July 16 #28
    BTW, where exactly were you diving in the pacific with the whale shark and why the net above and around you!  I could tell it was warm as you had no wet suit. I see you were diving with a back plate BCD?  Was it comfortable and did you like it?  I've never dove with one before.  My BCD is a hybrid.  I have an Aqau Lung Axiom with the i3 lever for inflating and deflating which is built into the bottom left of the BCD.  No more powerline hose to inflate or deflate.  Very simple to use.

Also, I saw your Octo was on a neck lanyard.  Easy place to store it using a back plate BCD.  If another diver came up and grabbed it in an emergency would it pull away easily?  Early on I dove with lanyard for my second stage so it was always around my neck and easy access.  Came to find out it was always in my mouth so I didn't need it.  Mine would not pull away from the very lanyard easily.  
    Jeff - 

Love the buoyancy exercise you brought up and I'll have to give it a try.  This is the western Pacific.  Closest landmass to where I was is Okinawa.  It is definitely warm out here right now.  I used a wet suit for my very first dive to deal with the thermocline, but water temps are now up around 80 degrees, so it's just not necessary.

The whale sharks migrate through here (like the humpbacks and hammerheads), so their big push is seasonal.  An aquarium out this way has several that they are trying to study for breeding.  The male in their main tank is nearing sexual maturity with a year or so.  Then there are a couple that live in huge, open ocean net enclosures like the one I saw.  This allows for year round viewing.  They are hand fed and live effectively in an open ocean aquarium.  

My BCD is a 23 lb.-lift backplate/wing made by HOG, as is the D1X regulator package.  I love the backplate/wing, as it puts all of the inflation bulk behind you, so you never have changing bulk around your waist or arms.  Very minimalist setup: no pockets or weight storage partitions - just webbing with D-rings.  The plate provides 6 pounds of weight and I run another 4-6 lbs. of lead on my weight belt for adequate sink rate.  Inflation/deflation is the standard 2-button/oral inflator setup on the left side.

That rubber, octo band around my neck for the backup second stage regulator is indeed a pull-away setup that would let another diver snatch it out of there in a hurry if they ran out of air.  It would also allow me to simply lift it to my mouth and breath if the primary second stage regulator failed.  The primary second stage I'm using has no lanyard and simply stays in my mouth when in use.

As for dive computer, I got a great price on an AquaLung i300C.  The guy training me said that was a great choice that would take me all the way through basic technical diving if I so chose to go that route.  It does air, EANX, or gauge mode, and includes safety stop indications/timer, safe-to-fly times, etc.  Very simple an intuitive.

PM coming your way.

Six-Gun said:

Jeff - 

Love the buoyancy exercise you brought up and I'll have to give it a try.  This is the western Pacific.  Closest landmass to where I was is Okinawa.  It is definitely warm out here right now.  I used a wet suit for my very first dive to deal with the thermocline, but water temps are now up around 80 degrees, so it's just not necessary.

The whale sharks migrate through here (like the humpbacks and hammerheads), so their big push is seasonal.  An aquarium out this way has several that they are trying to study for breeding.  The male in their main tank is nearing sexual maturity with a year or so.  Then there are a couple that live in huge, open ocean net enclosures like the one I saw.  This allows for year round viewing.  They are hand fed and live effectively in an open ocean aquarium.  

My BCD is a 23 lb.-lift backplate/wing setup from HOG.  I love it, as it puts all of the inflation bulk behind you, so you never have changing bulk around your waist or arms.  Very minimalist setup: no pockets or weight storage partitions.  The plate provides 6 pounds of weight and I run another 4-6 lbs. of lead on my weight belt for adequate sink rate.  Inflation/deflation is the standard 2-button setup on the left side.

The rubber, octo band around my neck for the backup second stage regulator is indeed a pull-away setup that would let another diver snatch it out of the band in a hurry if they ran out of air.  It would also allow me to simply lift it to my mouth and breath if the primary second stage failed.  The primary second stage I'm using has no lanyard and simply stays in my mouth when in use.

As for dive computer, I got a great price on an AquaLung i300C.  The guy training me said that was a great choice that would take me all the way through basic technical diving if I so chose to go that route.  It does air, EANX, or gauge mode, and includes safety stop indications/timer, safe-to-fly times, etc.  Very simple an intuitive.

PM coming your way.

I have the AL i500 dive computer that attaches to my high pressure line on my regulator.  My i500 isn't removable though I am thinking of getting the quick release hose for it.  I absolutely love it, like your i300 simple to use and does any and everything I need.  I lucked into a dive shop in Houston last Dec that was going out of business.  Everything was 45% off.  They were an Aqua Lung shop so everything I have is AL.  First time in 20 plus years I bought my own equipment and I fully outfitted myself minus tanks and weights.  I always thought it would be a hassle taking all the equipment on trips.  We spent two weeks in Belize this past Jan and dove multiple times most everyday.  It was great having my own equipment.

Diving with sharks without cages are my all time favorite dives.  I did a night dive off of Honolulu two years ago on a 110' sea tiger wreck.  We had a tiger shark moving in and out of the lights six to eight feet away for most of the time we were underwater.  It was totally awesome!  Most of our shark dives, are tigers, bulls, blues, lemons, silky's (grey reef) and the occasional hammerhead depending on the time of the years.  My goal one day is a great white without a cage.  I don't have much fear of sharks though I do have a healthy respect for them.  I'd also love to dive with a whale shark!

Here's a couple videos from last summers shark dive off of Jupiter FL.  That's me in the middle with my son filming.  These were lemons if my mind is correct.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjzLCj0P2FQ

the second is a big bull shark passing behind me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caL5yW8stdM

Can't wait to see those videos!  They're blocked at work, but I'll be able to view them at the hotel tonight when I get back. 

That AL i500 looks like a dandy rig.  I'm sure it's significantly more capable than mine.  I toyed with getting a high pressure line setup, but decided that I would buy a cheaper wrist rig for now, and relegate it to a backup later when I eventually upgrade.  Ironically, I'm really digging this i300c, if for no other reason than, even at it's $250 price point, it has Bluetooth connectivity and logs all of the dive data to my iPhone using the Dive Log+ app - no more paper logs and instant access to the dive profiles.  

Only place I've been that had legit access to great whites was Adelaide, Australia about 16 years ago.  Those suckers get big out there, but I agree that a cage free dive with them would be a lifetime event.

edited July 17 #31
    One of the coolest features on both the AL i300 and i500 dive computers is the DTR (Dive time remaining) This feature constantly monitors your No Deco status and O2 Accumulation.  It displays your dive time remaining at that depth and automatically changes as you descend or ascend.  This is just a super cool feature especially when you're diving by yourself or with another person and not in a cattle herd!  It really helps to manage your dives!

Granted 700 psi is still the magical number you can hold out to when must start your final ascent, but no point coming up earlier than you have to!