Home Main Category General Firearms

The human as a shooting platform...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
Accurate handguns! A never ending quest for many of us gun enthusiasts but how much time do we spend building an accurate human platform to utilize these guns to the fullest?

Today I had an aha! moment as I was teaching a mid 50s lady how to shoot.  This woman came to me with not a HINT of a notion of what to do so she accepted EVERY word out of my mouth without debate and just did what she was told with no fear of failure.

First we worked on giving her a great grip.  She at least knew that she wanted to concentrate on pistols because her previous researched had kind of convinced her that this is what she wants as an SD weapon (smart!).  So I started her with  Ruger Mark I .22 because we would not have to deal with any side distractions such as recoil.  When I knew she had the grip solid and after a little dry firing to show her how to pull a trigger while keeping the gun still (trigger control) we worked on her stance.  I lucked out because in her youth she actually had a little martial arts training so she understood balance and how to get into a "fighting stance".  this was followed with a swift intro to sight picture and drilling the mantra "Target, front sight, smooth trigger pull." into her head, over and over again.

Once we had that this lady just proceeded to lay shot after shot into a nice group COM on an IDPA silhouette with little trouble.  I let her gun run dry a few times to see if there was any flinch at all.  NOPE!  She just understood that the less the gun moves the better the chances of the shot landing where that front sight is!  Simple, simple simple.  Trigger finger moves, the rest of the fingers just hang on to the gun to keep it steady.

So we gave her a correct platform to shoot from which she readily adopted, and then we had it!  She shot 4 different guns today for great effect and amazingly, ACCURACY was just a happy by-product of a good, solid human launch platform.  SIMPLE, simple, simple!!!
Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,409 Senior Member
    Congratulations!
    "Blank slate students" are generally easier to teach because they have no preconceptions and don't have to unlearn something sub-optimal. Of course, what works for one student may not work for the next - it's gonna be interesting at this year's shoot to see how much I need to unlearn. I hate unlearning, and Goddess knows I've done enough of it in my time...
    I had my sister shoot my Ruger Mark III when we went to the range when she was visiting. She did well, then I asked her if she wanted to try a shot with my brand new, first outing CZ-75. Loaded 1 round for her, and she nailed the bullseye! So I can't blame the gun for my own problems!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,357 Senior Member
    fwiw,

the females i have taught to shoot were way better than me from the start.  

iirc, i think there are some physical difference in that men are stronger in the upper body, but women are stronger in the lower body - in general and im sure there are exceptions.

also, i think they are better listeners....

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,863 Senior Member
    ilove22s said:
    fwiw,

the females i have taught to shoot were way better than me from the start.  

also, i think they are better listeners....

I've seen too many of these guys at the range.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain