Home Main Category General Firearms

Another AMAZING week shaping up... More uber-productive range time...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,295 Senior Member
Yesterday I got 12 more folks certified so the can go get their CCWs.  Doing 48 more confirmed in the next month... These folks yesterday were the nicest group of people you ever want to meet!  MOST of them first time gun owners and about as enthusiastic as they get, several are contacting me for private instruction.

BUT, this morning was just about as fulfilling as it gets.  I got to work one on one with a NICE lady in her 50s who until just a few months ago was totally anti-gun.  I got her from OMG, I'm actually afraid to hold these things to safely loading, unloading and handling/shooting a Glock 43 like she was born with one in her hand in just over 2 hours.  (yes Zee your Jedi mind tricks are still working on me).  BTW she shot 4 different SD guns and the Glock 43 was HER choice.

In this quest to get folks trained and pro-2A I keep discovering better ways to transmit information every time I go out and spend time with these folks.  If you instill the fundamentals and feed a new shooter ONE thing at a time until they get it and then let them put it all together for themselves it is AMAZING what one-on-one dedicated attention will produce.  AND as a bonus I learn new stuff every time I teach!!!

Now she is NOT a well well oiled commando, but then I'm not qualified to train those and I will NEVER teach ahead of my headlights.  BUT if a BG ever gets in front of her, she now has the basic knowledge/skills and confidence to at least have a good chance of prevailing.  She knows she is still a long way from being proficient.  BUT she can now go to the range by herself and practice effectively.  She's coming back for more instruction with her husband soon.

BTW she shot a LOT of rounds today and NOT ONE of them landed anywhere but the -0 spots on an IDPA target from 5-7 yards away.  When you don't saddle humans with your own preconceived limitations they will blow you away (and themselves) with what they can do.

It will take a plastic surgeon to take away the smile form my face (and hers!!!)  :D
Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,410 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    ...AND as a bonus I learn new stuff every time I teach!!!
    If you REALLY want to learn something, teach it to somebody else. Teaching is the best teacher! One of my dance teachers used to tell her beginners to teach what they learned today to somebody else - even if its their dog! It'll cement what they learned.
    Sounds like you're having a blast!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,295 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    If you REALLY want to learn something, teach it to somebody else. Teaching is the best teacher! One of my dance teachers used to tell her beginners to teach what they learned today to somebody else - even if its their dog! It'll cement what they learned.
    Yes I am, and you are absolutely correct!  I learn A LOT passing along what others have been kind enough to teach me.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    Yes I am, and you are absolutely correct!  I learn A LOT passing along what others have been kind enough to teach me.
    I understand. Its been my privilege to learn dance at the knee of some of the best dancers in the country - but where things really have been cementing themselves is here in Florida where I've been doing some teaching myself and I suddenly realize "So THAT'S what Janette was yelling about all those years! I get it now." Its pretty eye opening, and I'm sure you have similar epiphanies yourself.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Yep, and it makes for a lot of fun.  The best part is this lady just wanted to hug me today!  I could see this new found confidence and empowerment in her!  It was just AWESOME!!!  I just LOVE seeing someone when that sparks light up and they realize "I can do this!".

GunNut said:
    I just LOVE seeing someone when that sparks light up and they realize "I can do this!".
    That's what its all about. The very best thing is when your student surpasses you! You may not have had that joy as yet, but you will if you keep teaching.

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 435 Member
    I've always wondered why women seem to have such a natural ability to shoot with accuracy. Every woman I've ever taken shooting just blows out the center of the target and then gives me that look like, "Am I doing it right"?
    I've always wondered why women seem to have such a natural ability to shoot with accuracy. Every woman I've ever taken shooting just blows out the center of the target and then gives me that look like, "Am I doing it right"?
    No preconceived silly notions and they put no pride into the equation...

zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    I just LOVE seeing someone when that sparks light up and they realize "I can do this!".
    That's what its all about. The very best thing is when your student surpasses you! You may not have had that joy as yet, but you will if you keep teaching.

So far no, because I’m really training newbies.  Can’t wait!

GunNut said:
    Absolutely - plus women in general are more in touch with their bodies and what they're doing, which really helps with coordination. And grace for that matter. Since I seriously lack both (what little I may have I learned the hard way), I'm pretty aware of this phenomenon!

So funny, when this lady called for training I told her I charge for my time, so same charge for only her or her and husband.  She asked her husband if he wanted to be included and he said he was “good”.  It’ll be a hoot when she out shoots his ass at the range!  😁

GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:

So far no, because I’m really training newbies.  Can’t wait!
    It'll happen sooner or later - and the PRIDE you will feel...

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    edited July 14 #13
    GunNut said:
    So true. Once my wife was handed a HK P7M8 and everyone around hold their smiles waiting for her to fumble with that odd squeezing grip safety but she shot it like it has been taylor-made for her.

Glad you're enjoying your new job so much!

Any kind/brand of guns you advice your pupils to avoid for SD?.....just curious (something like a SA revolver or a pocket .25ACP maybe?)
    edited July 15 #14
    Antonio said:
    GunNut said:
    So true. Once my wife was handed a HK P7M8 and everyone around hold their smiles waiting for her to fumble with that odd squeezing grip safety but she shot it like it has been taylor-made for her.

Glad you're enjoying your new job so much!

Any kind/brand of guns you advice your pupils to avoid for SD?.....just curious (something like a SA revolver or a pocket .25ACP maybe?)
    I try to give them options that they can relate to widely.  I was just about to post thread on this very subject.  But yes as part of my CCW class I spend some time explaining to folks why smaller guns/calibers are not as effective at stopping a BG.  One lady actually said to me you can kill someone with a .22.  I smiled and said.  Sure!  Maybe...  eventually.  How long are you willing to wait for the bad guy to stop trying to kill you?

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,703 Senior Member
    Outstanding Enzo. Also, what a great way to reiterate that training is the most powerful tool you can buy.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Outstanding Enzo. Also, what a great way to reiterate that training is the most powerful tool you can buy.
    Thanks, It truly is.  Always amazes me folks will dump thousands of dollars into car, home and health insurance without ever thinking about it, but don’t even think of investing in knowledge that can truly save their life.

The good news is that what is going on around us is waking up a LOT of folks....  I get a lot of people telling me they USED to be anti-gun...

• JaphyJaphy Posts: 59 Member
    GunNut
    you are making me seriously envious first it was the three S&Ws! and now you tell us you get range time!!

just looked at the local range here to check hours. Well guess what?  now a reservation is required time limited to an hour and there were two late afternoon slots think 110 degrees available last week of August!! Over a month out!

This week I will drive 50mi to BLM land for some shooting 
    I’ve gotten more range time in the last two weeks than in the last two years...  and I shoot quite a bit!  Just trained a lovely young couple and had a blast with them.  Still hot as all crap but this will be awesome in the fall!!!