Home Main Category General Firearms

Should I get my boy a 6.5 Creedmoor?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,701 Senior Member
edited July 14 in General Firearms #1
I have ammo. I have brass. I have dies. But, currently I only have a CVA Scout Pistol in 6.5 Creedmoor. 

He has used one of my .243 Winchesters for deer & axis, couple of my .260 Remingtons to take deer and shoot 750 yards. He’s used a .308 Winchester rifle and pistol for deer and a pig as well.  Even a .223 Remington to take deer and do positional shooting!
But, they are kinda my guns. The world is Ga-Ga for the Creedmoor and I have ammo and plenty of brass. So my thoughts........I have the following that could make a decent rifle. 
-Rem 700 HS Precision Stock
-Rem 700 Pic Base
-Remington 40x Trigger
-Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 Scope
-Leupold Mark 4 Rings
-Surefire Brake
-Surefire Suppressor
-Brass
-Ammo
-Dies
-Bullets

What I don’t have is a rifle. But, I can get a Remington 700 SPS Tactical w/ 22” threaded barrel. 

Strip it down and build her back up with my pieces parts. Give it to the boy for this hunting season. And, I think he’s getting ready for some distance shooting this year. 

Thoughts?
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,701 Senior Member
    edited July 14 #2
    The cheap route is to get a CVA Scout V2 Takedown Rifle w/ 24” threaded barrel at half the cost of a Remington. 

I just don’t get to use the parts I’ve accumulated. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,481 Senior Member
    If this is the first rifle that will be HIS gun, make it a good one!  Not that the CVA Scout is not a good gun but the Remington upgraded by dad with his spares will be world class and something he can show his kids a few years down the line with pride and say “Dad built this for me.”.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,234 Senior Member
    edited July 14 #4
    Looks like a good build to me. The less trendy route would be .243 Win.

Let me know if you need a good Savage recommendation. :)

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,710 Senior Member
    It looks like the 6.5 CM is here to stay on the market, and it's utility is pretty well known. I'd go for it. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 541 Senior Member
    edited July 14 #6
    Is he up to an 06 yet ?
    IIRC dad's first gun would be a pretty good one for him too.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,851 Senior Member
    Is he up to an 06 yet ?
    I was thinking the same thing. A custom build would be cool but I would think handing down a first gun keeps the memories alive.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,317 Senior Member
    Does he want a 6.5 Creedmore? If yes, build it. If no, then build what he wants.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Is he up to an 06 yet ?
    No. He’s not ready for that recoil yet. Or at least, I don’t want to subject him to it. 
    Does he want a 6.5 Creedmore? If yes, build it. If no, then build what he wants.

Ha!  He doesn’t know/understand  cartridges. Just shoots whatever I put in his hands. 
    Unlike me, when I was young, he doesn’t read/study gun magazines. He likes to shoot. But, he doesn’t study or research it. 
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 360 Member
    edited July 14 #11
    Zee said:

Unlike me, when I was young, he doesn’t read/study gun magazines. He likes to shoot. But, he doesn’t study or research it. 
    But what will he base his excuses on in later life, if and when if ever he misses.

:D
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,710 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Ha!  He doesn’t know/understand  cartridges. Just shoots whatever I put in his hands. 
    Honestly, if that's his level of interest, a 6.5 Creedmoor is a great choice:

- Mild recoil
    - Still capable of taking elk sized game with the right bullet
    - Readily available and relatively affordable factory ammo
    - At this point, the 6.5 CM is probably here to stay
    - Tons of long range ballistic potential
    - Troves of hand loading info available If his interest in the details does expand
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Zee said:

Honestly, if that's his level of interest, a 6.5 Creedmoor is a great choice:

- Mild recoil
    - Still capable of taking elk sized game with the right bullet
    - Readily available and relatively affordable factory ammo
    - At this point, the 6.5 CM is probably here to stay
    - Tons of long range ballistic potential
    - Troves of hand loading info available If his interest in the details does expand
    Agreed with all of the above.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,675 Senior Member
    Zee said:

I would go the create your own route. But, I would sit him down and let him know this will be HIS rifle and see if he wants a place in picking the caliber. If he doesn't, I say go with the Creed.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,188 Senior Member
    There's a time and place for exotics.  I'm not sure that a kid who might be soon be fueling his hunts with store-bought ammo while in college, living in small confines with no reloading press while living on ramen is it.

Plain vanilla .308 is everywhere and rock-busting ammo is cheap, you know it can reach a long way, and at the point he needs to fell a critter larger or farther than it can handle reasonably, he'll be in the money for more expensive hunting and guns anyway.

My father & I went through our Ackley Improved phase - him more than me.  He's also into his vintage black powder cartridges.  I appreciate all that stuff greatly, but really don't know how I'll handle that stuff when it's mine.  More and more, I just want to go have fun with a firearm without a lot of preamble.

Basic transportation ain't a bad thing.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,071 Senior Member
    Why buy a complete 700 when you are just keeping the barreled action?  Can you buy the barreled action and bolt all the other stuff you have on it?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Why buy a complete 700 when you are just keeping the barreled action?  Can you buy the barreled action and bolt all the other stuff you have on it?
    I don’t know anyone who sells just barreled actions for Rem 700s. 
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    When I decided to set aside the 243 for my wife/kids, I wanted to by a rifle that could take any game I wanted to shoot in the Southwest.  While there are a lot of rounds that fit in that window, I went with the 6.5 creedmoor because it supposedly has a mild recoil and it passed my “Walmart Test” (available everywhere at a reasonable price.”

I like the M700 option you are looking at.  
    Much cheaper to buy an SPS and sell the take off parts on eBay.

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/2385/remington+action+700+sa+stainless+steel+308

At that price, you might as well buy the whole rifle and sell the parts you don’t want.
    edited July 15 #21
    Zee said:
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/2385/remington+action+700+sa+stainless+steel+308

At that price, you might as well buy the whole rifle and sell the parts you don’t want.
    I’d still have to buy a chambered/threaded barrel. Which is every bit of $400+. 
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,267 Senior Member
    If it's not gonna be a surprise gift, maybe ask him if he has a preference. It might get him started researching guns and such.

Also, if it's not surprise, it could be an excellent father-son project.  Let him help you or you help HIM build his rifle with the 700 parts you already have.

I like the Father-Son project idea!  Thanks. 
    edited July 15 #24
    Bigslug said:
    There's a time and place for exotics.  I'm not sure that a kid who might be soon be fueling his hunts with store-bought ammo while in college, living in small confines with no reloading press while living on ramen is it.

Plain vanilla .308 is everywhere and rock-busting ammo is cheap, you know it can reach a long way, and at the point he needs to fell a critter larger or farther than it can handle reasonably, he'll be in the money for more expensive hunting and guns anyway.

My father & I went through our Ackley Improved phase - him more than me.  He's also into his vintage black powder cartridges.  I appreciate all that stuff greatly, but really don't know how I'll handle that stuff when it's mine.  More and more, I just want to go have fun with a firearm without a lot of preamble.

Basic transportation ain't a bad thing.
    Well, America has finally embraced the 6.5 caliber and the trend is moving towards professional acceptance as well. So, the future could be promising for the lad in regards to brass/ammo. 
    I do have enough .308 Supplies to choke an elephant. But, I may live long enough to deplete it if I’m lucky. 😁 
    Zee said:
    Is he up to an 06 yet ?
    No. He’s not ready for that recoil yet. Or at least, I don’t want to subject him to it. 
    He will still get that rifle eventually. It’s still retired and waiting on him. But, that will be a bit. Waiting for him to mature some more and be able to fully understand the meaning of a rifle From Grandpa, to father, to son. 
    When he is able to appreciate that, regardless the recoil, he will be ready for it. 
    I’ve actually contemplated taking one more deer with it myself. Having him and my father with me at the time. Just to create a bond with the gun for 3 generations. Before passing it along. 
    JKP said:
    Looks like a good build to me. The less trendy route would be .243 Win.

Let me know if you need a good Savage recommendation. :)

He’s used my .243 Win (Short Rifle) to good effect. Even this past season still. But, having used a .260 Rem and .308 Win this season as well, I think he’s ready to step up to something with a little more “umph”. 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    Zee said:

That would be my suggestion as well.  Once my dad is fully retired and I am not working as much, I plan on sitting down with my dad to figure out some projects we can work on together.  The time working on the project is more valuable than the rifle will ever be.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,317 Senior Member
    If he gets to pick the cartridge (you can likely guide him to the 6.5), then helps to select components, it will be fun. I wouldnt go out and buy a different X if you already have an X that will do, but id you dont have it, then its time for his input.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Zee said:
    That is a GREAT idea!  And the pride he'll feel when he makes something he helped dad build go bang will probably ignite the fire to et deeper into it.  Leave the gun mags laying around.  ;)

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,473 Senior Member
    Since you lack a 6.5 rifle, then yes, he has a plethora of .308 to inherit from you, expand the inventory, otherwise I would say stick with .308. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,077 Senior Member
    Post one
    Yes.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?