Home Main Category Clubhouse

Ornithologists, step inside, please.

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,933 Senior Member
We're being invaded by birds.  More specifically, we're being invaded by cardinals.  

Maybe "invaded" is too strong a word, but we have had cardinals pecking at windows of various rooms of the house this morning.  It appears to be a mating or nesting pair, and both are pecking away.

Has anyone else seen anything like this.  Maybe Hitchcock was ahead of his time after all.  I'm thinking of plugging up the flue of our fireplace.  :#
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    If they can see their reflection in the window then they're trying to run the 'other bird' off.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,087 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    If they can see their reflection in the window then they're trying to run the 'other bird' off.
    Yeah, that
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• christiechristie Member Posts: 86 Member
    I love birds but I'm not an ornithologist(would be a cool career though)

What Tennmike wrote sounds right.

I read the latest way of window proofing from birds is to have lines on windows(with tape). But that could just be to stop them from flying into the windows.

"I couldn't be more proud and humbled by the experience"- said by a successful someone
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 361 Member

No one expects.........

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    The real question is, how many cardinals does it take to make a meal.....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    Are you Alfred Hickock?
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,904 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    do they taste like chicken?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Birds rain tiny little presents everywhere they go.
    CHIRO1989 said:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    NN said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Clean has a recipe? ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,933 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Are you Alfred Hickock?
    Hickock?  Any relation to Wild Bill?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Are you Alfred Hickock?
    Hickock?  Any relation to Wild Bill?
    Naw, that would be Hickok45!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    CHIRO1989 said:
    NN said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Clean has a recipe? ;)
    No; but, Clean will cook anything-------will she eat it ---------maybe not.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,028 Senior Member
    We're being invaded by birds.  More specifically, we're being invaded by cardinals.  

Maybe "invaded" is too strong a word, but we have had cardinals pecking at windows of various rooms of the house this morning.  It appears to be a mating or nesting pair, and both are pecking away.

Has anyone else seen anything like this.  Maybe Hitchcock was ahead of his time after all.  I'm thinking of plugging up the flue of our fireplace.  :#
    I was home on leave from the Marines and looking forward to sleeping in at least a few of those days. My father lived WAAY out in the sticks...so thick that you often couldn't see the sun until 10AM even in the summer. But I digress.....

Anyway, a male cardinal would start beating his head against  my bedroom window at the first hint of dawn, and would return to this habit over several days even after I'd scolded him off several times. This went on for at least 1 1/2 weeks of my leave. I finally settled the matter with the judicious application of #7 1/2 birdshot.

Turns out, this time of year, (mating/nesting season) male cardinals are very territorial. They see their reflection in your glass and they perceive it as an interloper and will attack ad nauseum until one or the other is gone.

It's likely a single male "defending" his territory. Chances are, you're NOT going to dissuade him shy of terminal means or fall comes around.

FWIW...I offed only one bird. Problem solved.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,028 Senior Member
    edited July 16 #16
    FWIW, cardinals seem prone to attacking household window panes. Robins, OTOH, seem to ignore windows, but play hell with exterior car mirrors.

An older guy (imagine me saying that) that I work with bought a brand new Forester. Parked it in the same lot all of us used, without a tree within 50 yards. A robin attacked both his exterior mirrors and crapped all over both doors. For a couple months. Bird crap often contains sap elements. His clear-coat went went downhill pretty quick.

That robin hated his car for some reason. It never bothered the rest of ours.

????

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    When I was taking an Ornithology class in college...I learned an interesting (if unrelated) factoid...

One of my classmates was constantly finding some strange gooey stuff on here car while parked for class...Our professor noted that her car was a particular color...the same color as the inside of a seagulls chicks mouth...it seems that when the chick opens its mouth the color triggers the adult bird to regurgitate whatever is in its crop....thus feeding the chick...

Mystery solved...every time a seagulls caught sight of her car...well...seagulls puke is pretty nasty and we had a lot of seagulls around the college....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    FWIW, cardinals seem prone to attacking household window panes. Robins, OTOH, seem to ignore windows, but play hell with exterior car mirrors.

An older guy (imagine me saying that) that I work with bought a brand new Forester. Parked it in the same lot all of us used, without a tree within 50 yards. A robin attacked both his exterior mirrors and crapped all over both doors. For a couple months. Bird crap often contains sap elements. His clear-coat went went downhill pretty quick.

That robin hated his car for some reason. It never bothered the rest of ours.

????

Mike
    Bird was Homophobic?

(Lesbaru)
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson