Home Main Category Clubhouse

Old Ads you won't believe!

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,964 Senior Member

Because there was nothing to be careful of. There was no real evidence that DDT was harmful, the inventor ate a teaspoon of it EVERY day and lived to a ripe old age. Rachel Carson was a sham and her book was garbage. She killed as many people in third world countries as any banana republic dictator.
    I've read that elsewhere also.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,861 Senior Member
    I never red "Silent Spring" and grew up in rural GA where no spraying occurred.  DDT may be harmless to humans, although I doubt there are no negative affects, but it plays hell with bees, which we are dependent upon as they fertilize crops. Something apparently is killing bees now, don't know what it is, but farmers are starting to feel the shortage.  

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,394 Senior Member
    IIRC, DDT affected the egg shell thickness of birds. It made the shells thin and they broke easily. 

I can remember when bluebirds were rare around here. Now they are quite common. 

It possibly could have been another chemical. But, I thought it was DDT. 
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    AlleyCat said:

Kinda creepy that the mutt seems more interested in the "snack sack" 
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    IIRC, DDT affected the egg shell thickness of birds. It made the shells thin and they broke easily. 

That was said about it, however the birds they tested were fed a calcium deficient diet.

42. Years of carefully controlled feeding experiments involving levels of DDT as high as present in most wild birds resulted in no tremors, mortality, thinning of egg shells nor reproductive interference. [Scott, ML et al. 1975. Poultry Science 54: 350-368 (Egg production, hatch ability and shell quality depend on calcium, and are not effected by DDT and its
    metabolites)] https://junkscience.com/1999/07/100-things-you-should-know-about-ddt/

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    I never red "Silent Spring" and grew up in rural GA where no spraying occurred.  DDT may be harmless to humans, although I doubt there are no negative affects, but it plays hell with bees, which we are dependent upon as they fertilize crops. Something apparently is killing bees now, don't know what it is, but farmers are starting to feel the shortage.  

Ask MonsantoI bet they know
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,394 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:

That was said about it, however the birds they tested were fed a calcium deficient diet.

42. Years of carefully controlled feeding experiments involving levels of DDT as high as present in most wild birds resulted in no tremors, mortality, thinning of egg shells nor reproductive interference. [Scott, ML et al. 1975. Poultry Science 54: 350-368 (Egg production, hatch ability and shell quality depend on calcium, and are not effected by DDT and its
    metabolites)] https://junkscience.com/1999/07/100-things-you-should-know-about-ddt/

Not surprised. 
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Gene L said:

Stop cutting your grass, plant wildflowers. There are no more wildflowers growing in the corn, and people have huge yards that they trim to nothing. No food, no bees.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,859 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Gene L said:

The bees are getting infected with something, I can't remember if it is a virus or a bacteria, but once it infects the hive it kills the whole hive. They haven't found a cure but have found ways to slow the spread. Can't ask Monsanto anything, they don't exist anymore.