Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Cashless society?

2»

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    edited July 17 #32
    I rarely use cash for anything, except a haircut, or if it's a small purchase less than $3.00. I carry about $150 with me for emergencies if the card machines are down. I pay for everything else with my debit card and bills with online banking. Nowadays all I ever buy postage stamps for is Christmas cards.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,926 Senior Member
    Interesting perspectives...What I want to know is what are we gonna do about strippers? 
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Interesting perspectives...What I want to know is what are we gonna do about strippers? 
    How are you going to bribe government officials?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 544 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Swipe your card between their cheeks. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    edited July 18 #36
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:

And say what you want about the cloud, I don't trust it as being secure.  I've worked in the high tech computer software industry since '75, including work with some health insurance companies.  They will not put their customer data in the cloud because they don't trust it.  For every security measure some entity puts in to guard their data and operation, one or more hackers are doing their best to defeat it.  It's the nature of the beast.
    Then you remember the "microcomputer revolution" and how it was going to - and did! - do away with centralized computing. And now we've come full circle! The "cloud" *is* good for certain things, but it sure isn't the panacea its made out to be. Especially in this day and age of buggy and poorly written software - there's too much latency in much of it BEFORE the propagation delay of the Internet is added to the mix. It just doesn't make sense for many, or even most, situations.
    The cloud is absolutely not centralized computing so there is no full circle.  There are no mainframes in dark data centers anymore...  The Cloud (for lack of a better term) is comprised of billions of redundant servers and points of information worldwide that talk to each other constantly at speeds we can not even comprehend, otherwise called "distributed computing" (which in and of itself is already an archaic concept).  In the money example, no one bank computer has your money in it.  Your money is just a piece of data that is held by thousands servers all over the world that agree that you have $xx,xxx.00 in your checking account.

As distribution of this processing continues to work it's way to the "edge" "latency" will be a thing of the past.  Today's soda machine has more computing power in it that most home computers did just 5-6 years ago.

Before I took my current job I was working on a project with a relatively new (and blindly fast growing company) that is deploying micro-retailing with enough power to have AI at the edge in every vending machine.  This is not in the future, the schedule was 2020 to start deployment.

Anyway I'll jump off here.  I think I've said all I wanted to say and I don't want to get sucked up into another discussion on this topic.

Thanks...
    From a technical standpoint, you are quite correct - I think we're pretty much in agreement here. The end effect is, however, pretty much the same - using somebody else's computer someplace else. The technology has improved by several orders of magnitude of course.

I remember a certain soda machine that was so overthought and had such buggy software that it crashed for the last time and had to be removed and replaced with a good ol' reliable solenoid type. Faster networks will indeed decrease latency, but too bad about all the crappy, buggy software. I've seen latency in new car software in the damn HORN! The soda machine was latent too.

I agree also - and laugh about " Your money is just a piece of data that is held by thousands servers all over the world that agree that you have $xx,xxx.00 in your checking account." I've been saying that for years, its completely fake! Hey - my old IMSAI can generate numbers too - why can't I just use those? :D;)

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    If you think the govt won't shut down your financial ability I have a real life story for you-----Here is the background- Former DOD nuke worker that went into business when our shipyard closed, always paid my taxes properly and always had an outstanding credit score- never bounced a check or carried much debt--The time is 2008 and the peak of the recession, I owned and operated numerous businesses through the years but am down to just 1 now- a highly successful construction company.
       I got a call from a vendor that my check had bounced- no way because I have plenty in my business account- off to the the bank I go. Talk to my banker- I guessed someone had made an error or there was a glitch in the system, he pulled up my account and tells me the IRS had frozen all my accounts and seized all my money. We start checking outstanding checks and I had 10k floating out there that was going to bounce. OUCH

I call the IRS and they said someone would be in touch soon. Then the letter came- it stated that an in house audit had been performed and that I owed over 100k in taxes, penalties and interest. And the war with the IRS started.

The recession crushed me that year leaving me broke. Credit ruined- home in foreclosure( we saved it) I had to function solely on a cash basis for a while.

We battled for years through the layers of the IRS and finally in 2017 we hit the jackpot and found the source of the problem- a rogue agent at the IRS was responsible for it all. She was fired, we got it all back, credit is back to the top level, and I'll never be without a substantial hidden back up fund again.

We bought a farm in 2018, the mortgage lender wanted to know where my money was coming from because we were using 1/3 from our home sale, 1/3 cash and financed 1/3- I told him our story and that it was part of my stash fund- he told me his Dad keeps 100K  cash in a safe and he had never understood why until he heard my story.

It can happen to you with just a few keystrokes- we auto pay nothing- we write paper checks- I have a separate account at a different bank that I use for electronic fund transfers and I deposit cash into it as needed.

I had my whole life hacked by the IRS
    I have had credit cards hacked a few times.
    I had my bank account hacked this year.

Damn the electronic money system.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    The IRS is the modern day Gestapo.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."