Home Main Category Clubhouse

Comet Neowise

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberPosts: 2,295 Senior Member
I just saw it. Haven't really been looking for it. But, a few minutes ago, I could juuust see a smudge in the sky under the Big Dipper. My binos took a a few minutes to unfog but I could barely see it. Wish I had a telescope and less light pollution. 

Any one else seen it yet?

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,018 Senior Member

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Just the dark abyss from here........
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,893 Senior Member
    Just got back from Northern Wisconsin, saw it several nights up there in crazy clear skies. pretty cool!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,811 Senior Member
    Will try tonight.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 233 Member
    Stayed up past my bedtime to see it the other night. Way cool! Was going to haul out the spotting scope last night but a wildfire in CA is sending large amounts of smoke our way.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    I lived on Lake D'arbonne in NE Louisiana when the Hyakutake comet passed though. It's pretty dark on those waters, and I was really disappointed when I didn't spot it at first due to cloud cover.

No problem.....comets aren't "flash-in-the-pans" like meteors. You'll have many opportunities to see it. I watched that one for almost a month. You could see it with the naked eye from a dark spot, and clearly with hand held binocs.

Possibly a once in a lifetime thing, but not a one night stand. Keep watching.....you'll see it.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,922 Senior Member
    We went months with clear skies and a few drops of rain.  Since the comet came into range, we have had nothing but heavy cloud cover and rain.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Too much humidity-haze and light pollution here at the best of times.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,922 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Well there is that too, but I live further inland than you
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    I was looking at it Sunday through an 8" Newtonian. Nice view despite the less than perfect conditions. Wish I could've taken some pictures.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    zorba said:
    Well there is that too, but I live further inland than you

I live further inland than either of you, but that just puts me too close to light pollution from Orlando.