2»

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Jayhawker said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Jayhawker said:
    We also stopped in Pipestone MN at the Pipestone quarry where for centuries Native Americans have been going to quarry Pipestone (Catlinite) for making pipes...
    As a tribal member, my wife can quarry her own stone but she decided to get a pipe made by a local Sioux artist...the pipe depicts Raven, The trickster....her medicine animal...

You drove right past Minnesotashooter, go stand in the corner for not letting us MN folks know you were passing through :s , I keep meaning to take the kids on a day trip to the Pipestone area, been through there a bunch of times and saw stuff I wanted to stop and check out
    I'm sorry....wish we had time to stop and visit....had to get the wife home in time for her shoulder surgery...

When you go...check out Prairie Maiden Treasures downtown to see some amazing pipes...
    I know, busy is my middle name, tell the boss I am praying her surgery is successful and uncomplicated.
    Thanks...I'll pass that along...they are replacing the ball of her humerus...for some reason she has some osteo necrosis going on....
    Dang, sorry to hear that.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    edited July 23 #33
    What a great trip!  That area is such an underrated sightseeing stretch.  I took a friend from PA up that way and he couldn't believe he never knew about it in all his years of travel.  Glad you got to get up there.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Great trip.  The closest I've been to SD is extreme southeast Montana.  Wish I could have made it further east, but I had other things to do at the time.

Thanks for sharing.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,637 Senior Member
    I used to live in SD - but I was 2 years old at the time. My father purchased the '63 1 ton GMC in Pierre.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    As an aside....eat at the Red Rock in Wall SD...25% discount for vets...great food...

And no matter what all the billboards say....stay the hell away from Wall Drug....far too many people there too...

The wife and I have ate at the Red Rock probably a half dozen times. Excellent place to eat.

We stop at Wall most of the times we head west. It just seems like we are always near there when it comes time to stop. But you're right, it's a tourist trap.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,024 Senior Member
    If you're a turkey hunter......hunt just inside the treeline along the road between Deadwood and Mt. Rushmore. I couldn't believe how many I saw.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 561 Senior Member
    Did you go see Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Janes grave? The cemetery in Deadwood is pretty interesting actually. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Did you go see Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Janes grave? The cemetery in Deadwood is pretty interesting actually. 
    Tried...but the place was swarming with tourists...I don't do well around lots of people...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 561 Senior Member
    I can definitely understand that one. When I went in November there was absolutely no one there. When I went with my family and we didn’t pay attention and went during Sturgis  I thought it would be packed but for whatever reason there wasn’t but maybe 5 other people there. 
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    Have been to Rushmore 5 times now with the first time in the winter, with snow on the ground nobody there but us. Usually go through Sturges. We have stayed for a few days twice, more to see then just Rushmore.
    Wife loves Bear country USA.
    Custer state park
    Crazy Horse is a must see

• DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 776 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Looks like nice weather.
    ...but it was a dry heat :wink:)

Lol. I used to say that when it was 120 in Phoenix. Great pics btw.
    I will say that 97 degrees and 10% humidity in SD was a hell of a lot more comfortable than 89 degrees and 90% humidity in MN...Experienced both in the course of two days...Got out of the Jeep and my glasses fogged up in Windom MN...
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    rberglof said:
    Have been to Rushmore 5 times now with the first time in the winter, with snow on the ground nobody there but us. Usually go through Sturges. We have stayed for a few days twice, more to see then just Rushmore.
    Wife loves Bear country USA.

I told my boys that next time we go there we are bringing the arm off a mannequin and a big squirtable bottle of ketchup :)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • KSUFirefighter2KSUFirefighter2 Posts: 28 New Member
    Very cool, thanks for posting the pictures!

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    That sounds like a great trip. I hope to get that far north someday. I thought the only thing to see was Rushmore, boy was I wrong. Sorry to hear about your wife, I hope it goes well and they fix her up good as new. 
    That sounds like a great trip. I hope to get that far north someday. I thought the only thing to see was Rushmore, boy was I wrong. Sorry to hear about your wife, I hope it goes well and they fix her up good as new. 
    Thanks...Mt. Rushmore is a must see...but there is so much more to see..I found the Crazy Horse Monument far more interesting...the countryside is stunning...