Home Main Category General Firearms

Worst recoiling rifle, worst pistol

13»

Replies

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,690 Senior Member
    Pistol-grip 12GA shotguns with heavy loads are nasty!

Fired a Freedom Arms .454 Casull with hot reloads.....no thanks. Up to .357 is fine but bigger becomes uncomfortable.

Friend of mine assembled a very light hunting rifle in 30-06 with a Vz-24 action and a fiberglass stock that was correctly shaped but very light and very thin. With surplus ball ammo that thing was an awful shoulder wrecker despite the rubber pad and any shooting position. 2 shots out of that darned thing and you were done for the day.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,917 Senior Member
    I had a chance to shoot one of those X frame S&W .500 snubbies they put in their "Survival Kit"....I looked at the cartridge...then I looked at that 2 3/4" barrel...thought for a second or two and declined...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 601 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
    The rifle that hurt me the worst was an 8 or 9 lb  .378 Weatherby. I have fired some English Double with more recoil but they didnt hurt like the 378. Pistol the heaviest recoil was a 454 Casull most annoying was a short barreled S&W 629 44mag.

JAY
    The wetherbys especially the 375 and bigger are too much of a good thing for most people. It’s the recoil impulse that gets most people instead of a push they recoil with a fast jab. The good news is if you can learn to shoot them they can be bought right and usually with only 1 or 2 rounds missing out of a box.
    GunNut said:
    bellcat said:
    Savage synthetic 300WSM....the sharpest buck I’ve ever felt, the bolt would bloody my right knuckle. 

Shotgun was a Winchester 1001 O/U

Havent shot any huge pistol rounds.
    And here I thought I was the only one that got mauled by a .300 WSM. It ain't a fun round in a lightweight synthetic rig, that's for sure!

Mike
    It was a pussycat in my old Kimber Montana.  Shouldn’t have sold that gun.  I miss it.
    Simple physics.....on a good day I don't weigh 150lbs. You, OTOH, likely weighed that with a packed diaper. I get pushed around a lot easier than you. :)

Mike
    I think being a larger guy that recoil is worse than being lighter. Bigger guys tend to take all the recoil where smaller men tend to go with the recoil.
  • lancebanyonlancebanyon Posts: 10 New Member
    In a rifle, a friend's Browning single shot in 45.70 with a crescent buttplate and hot reloads.  In a shotgun, same friend's 10 gauge single shot long tom with a petrified red rubber recoil pad shooting 3 1/2" BB magnums. And my Ruger SuperRedHawk and 300 grain hornady .454 ammo. OUCH to all three.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,030 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    bellcat said:
    Savage synthetic 300WSM....the sharpest buck I’ve ever felt, the bolt would bloody my right knuckle. 

And here I thought I was the only one that got mauled by a .300 WSM. It ain't a fun round in a lightweight synthetic rig, that's for sure!

Mike
    It was a pussycat in my old Kimber Montana.  Shouldn’t have sold that gun.  I miss it.
    Simple physics.....on a good day I don't weigh 150lbs. You, OTOH, likely weighed that with a packed diaper. I get pushed around a lot easier than you. :)

Mike
    I think being a larger guy that recoil is worse than being lighter. Bigger guys tend to take all the recoil where smaller men tend to go with the recoil.
    I don't disagree with that at all. But.....for us lighter framed guys, there's not as much padding between the buttplate and bone.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    1898 Hungarian Steyr 8mm   
    Easily the worst recoil to date.   Hangs above the window in my "office.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member

Mike
    I don't disagree with that at all. But.....for us lighter framed guys, there's not as much padding between the buttplate and bone.

Mike

Fat!

You're talking about fat ain't ya?
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    bellcat said:

Mike

Mike
    Less mussel mass or padding equals more pain. There's Newton's law of inertia. With less mass to resist the plow the more it will move. Heavier guns equal less "Felt recoil", heavier body mass absorb  and resist rearward movement. 

I don't and never had the padding to stop heavy recoil. A heavy recoil rifle hits deep into my shoulder and only a good grip keeps me from scope eye. 

In addition my smaller mussel structured arms can't absorb the recoil from a high recoiling handguns as well as a greater developed arm mass. My grip is not meant for arm wrestling. 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,030 Senior Member
    Spk said:

Mike

Mike

Fat!

You're talking about fat ain't ya?
    :D
    You better watch it.You're going to offend someone somewhere. :)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Less mussel mass or padding equals more pain. There's Newton's law of inertia. With less mass to resist the plow the more it will move. Heavier guns equal less "Felt recoil", heavier body mass absorb  and resist rearward movement. 

I don't and never had the padding to stop heavy recoil. A heavy recoil rifle hits deep into my shoulder and only a good grip keeps me from scope eye. 

In addition my smaller mussel structured arms can't absorb the recoil from a high recoiling handguns as well as a greater developed arm mass. My grip is not meant for arm wrestling.

Where people mess up with heavy recoiling rifles is that they try and stop the recoil. You can’t do that it will beat you up. Yes you need to hold rifle firmly into you’re shoulder. At the same time you also need to let you’re body go with the recoil. If you stiffen up you’re body and don’t let it roll with the recoil there is only one place for the energy to go and you’re body absorbs it all. If you’re getting beat to death when you pull the trigger you aren’t going to shoot well. 
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 328 Member
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee