Home Main Category Clubhouse

Super easy killer home made pastrami recipe.

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 6,857 Senior Member
edited July 26 in Clubhouse #1
I've really been experimenting with this new pellet grill and so far everything I have done on it has far exceeded my previous results with both gas and charcoal. Which has led me to try a few things I wouldn't have attempted before.

Today was "Cheaters Homemade Pastrami".

1 packaged store-bought corned beef. Soak in water 4-6 hrs to draw out some of the salt, changing the water every couple hours.

50/50 mix of cracked coriendeer seed and cracked black pepper corns. (Note: I found the mix to be a little heavy on black pepper, so next time I'm going to try a 60/40 mix in favor of the coriendeer). Thoroughly rub/press this onto the corned beef all around, even on the fat side....(you can't use too much....a lot will fall off during the cooking/cutting process).

Preheat grill to ~350F using pellets of your choice....I used apple, but due to the inherent spices I figure any would work okay. Cook corned beef to an internal temp of ~175, (about 2 hours or so).

Remove from grill , and here's the trick.....steam (covered) on the stovetop for ~30 minutes until internal temp hits 190-200F. Remove and let it rest for ~30 minutes before slicing.

It's great all by itself (ours didn't last long enough to be turned into a pastrami braid, it got eaten right off the cutting board), or Rueben sandwiches. 

This would be a great "make-ahead" meal for that first night at deer camp when time is always running short.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
N454casull

Replies