Home Main Category General Firearms

Interesting results based on actual new shooter training experience...

13»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,976 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    What are you looking for? I assume I will see and avoid most problems, that is my goal, my J-frame is if I get jumped and someone is in contact distance, hands on me, I am never far from more guns and ammo so if the situation goes beyond my original load and 3 speed loaders, I was too far or too injured from my longer firearms to add a magazine fed firearm. My knife is always on me too. I carry a pistol in church because that is a different situation.
    I am asking if there is a drill or a technique you think one should be able to accomplish with a small revolver, I gave my reasons for carrying mine above, I figure that is my daily scenario.
    I don’t know. There are any number of drills I can run with a pistol that I’d look like a **** if I tried them with a revolver. 
    Most of my drills incorporate 5-10 yards, 1-3 targets, 2-6 shots, maybe a reload, and 3 seconds or less from the draw, in the Half “A Zone” of an IPSC Target. 
    I can live it with a pistol.........not a revolver. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,976 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Zee said:
    Ok, elephant in the room. 

Does anyone here shoot a revolver like an extension of themselves. Akin to Jerry Michulek?  Can you drive a revolver like a NASCAR?

I suspect a couple here can. Maybe a few. But, the vast majority here most likely drive a pistol better than a revolver. 
    I stand to be corrected. If you can drive a revolver better than a semi-auto pistol (and I don’t mean slow fire.....drive the gun as if your life depended on it).......please say so. 

I’m honestly curious. 

Disclaimer:  I’m likely to call BS unless you can prove it or have the rep to hold otherwise. 
    Revolvers ain’t t as easy. You wanna call yourself Jerry or Munden.........be prepared to prove it.

Yes.......I’m an ass.
    All the trophies I have in the case in the front bedroom say I used to be pretty good (Not great, but pretty good)with my old 6" 586. Now, not so much
    But then, I was also going through ~1k rounds a month at that time.

And if you DO want to be an ass about it, I'll see if I can get enough of the grandkids' toys out from infront of it and take a pic of them for you
    I don’t know what any of that means. 
    Bullseye Shooting?
    IDPA?
    IPSC
    PPC?
    Steel Challenge?
    Pin Matches?
    etc.......

All my matches were IDPA or “Tactical” (local/national/international) in nature. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,086 Senior Member
    Local plate matches
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    edited July 27 #65
    Zee said:
    Ok, elephant in the room. 

Does anyone here shoot a revolver like an extension of themselves. Akin to Jerry Michulek?  Can you drive a revolver like a NASCAR?
    No, but then again my J frame is only my "absolutely, positively can't carry the Glock 19" gun. 

I am, however, at least okay with it. Last time I practiced with it I could keep 5 shots in an IPSC A-zone in ~3.5 seconds. Start with gun loaded on the table, hand in pocket (couldn't draw from a holster back then at the range). Managed to get the first shots off in 1.8 or so. 

I'll have to find photos of the shot timer. 

EDIT: Found the range report: https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/40805/range-report-s-w-442-1-38-special#latest

I still prefer my semi autos :D
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    What are you looking for? I assume I will see and avoid most problems, that is my goal, my J-frame is if I get jumped and someone is in contact distance, hands on me, I am never far from more guns and ammo so if the situation goes beyond my original load and 3 speed loaders, I was too far or too injured from my longer firearms to add a magazine fed firearm. My knife is always on me too. I carry a pistol in church because that is a different situation.
    I am asking if there is a drill or a technique you think one should be able to accomplish with a small revolver, I gave my reasons for carrying mine above, I figure that is my daily scenario.
    I don’t know. There are any number of drills I can run with a pistol that I’d look like a **** if I tried them with a revolver. 
    Most of my drills incorporate 5-10 yards, 1-3 targets, 2-6 shots, maybe a reload, and 3 seconds or less from the draw, in the Half “A Zone” of an IPSC Target. 
    I can live it with a pistol.........not a revolver. 
    OK, something else to add to the list.....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11