knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,101 Senior Member
No Ice Cream maker required

Ingredients
- 2 cups heavy cream -
- 1-14oz can sweetened condensed milk
 - 1 cup Mtn Dew soft drink
 - (optional) green food coloring

Instructions here

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    edited July 22 #2
    so.  did you make some and if so how was it?   it seems with the can of condensed milk it would be overly sweet?

Im going to try to make some later this week.  But i think i will use some Marionberries i picked last week.

the recipe is simple and sweet and how i like it.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    I haven't tried it... YET.

I just found this recipe this evening
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,838 Senior Member
    Looks interesting for sure!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,720 Senior Member
    YUM YUM
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,403 Senior Member
    edited July 22 #6
    I got to try that one this weekend. I have a half gallon ice cream freezer I make ice cream in for myself.
    I made a half gallon of peach ice cream Sunday from Minute  Maid peach soft drink  with the same basic ingredients except for the Mountain Dew and food coloring. Added in a cup of chopped canned peaches to it, too. Good stuff, and it's already all gone.
    With that same basic recipe you can make ice cream with your favorite soda. It's more of a sherbet than ice cream, but it's doggone good!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    I'm not a big Mountain Dew fan, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to try it.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Mountain Dew Ice Cream. That will have the kids climbing the drapes!
    edited July 22 #9
    Not if you're grandpa and give it to the grandkids a few minutes before they go home 
    Or rather, they won't be climbing YOUR drapes >:):D

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member

knitepoet said:
    Not if you're grandpa and give it to the grandkids a few minutes before they go home 
    Or rather, they won't be climbing YOUR drapes >:):D
    Of course that is what I did. Stop on the way when taking them home for ice cream cones and 20oz Mountain Dews. The Granddaughters are grown and have their own cars. Their boy cousin is 11 so it still works on him.
    an update...

i made 1 batch of the ice cream base and then used... to make 5 different flavors.. ~2 Cup containers

> Strawberrries

> Mangoes

> Sugar Kiss melon

> Hersheys Chocolate Syrup

> Raspberries

I used the blender to mash/blend the fruit and guessed on how much to use.  Since the recipe calls for 1 cup of Mt. Dew for the whole recipe, i used about 1/2 cup of fruit for a ~2 cup container.  But not sure how it will come out until tomorrow.

but licking the spatula and bowl was yummy....

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 548 Senior Member
    When I was a kid I used to take plain vanilla ice cream and add a few spoonfuls of strawberry milk mix (powdered kind) in it and stir with a spoon. That was some of the best strawberry ice cream I'd ever had. I'm gonna have to do that again.
    Sounds good

edited July 25 #14
    well i tried some of the raspberry ice cream.

i didnt mix the raspberries with the cream mixture enough so in the bottom the raspberries were clumpy/solid.

but it wasnt bad for what it is and how fast you can make it.

will try a different flavor tomorrow.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    Got the fixin's to make a batch. Will report back tomorrow

Got busy doing other things yesterday. Batch is made and was just placed in the freezer.
    Only change I made was doubling the amount of Mtn Dew.  Actually I just poured an entire 0.5L (16.9oz) in it

I rate it 6/10 though that could be from over whipping the cream, or doubling the amount of "dew"

not a lot of flavor, and a mouth feel more like a frozen mousse.

Might try a batch with some fresh peaches pureed and added instead of the Mtn Dew next time  

knitepoet said:
    I rate it 6/10 though that could be from over whipping the cream, or doubling the amount of "dew"

not a lot of flavor, and a mouth feel more like a frozen mousse.

Might try a batch with some fresh peaches pureed and added instead of the Mtn Dew next time  
    make sure you really mix the peach with the cream stuff.

i didnt mix good enough and the fruit was harder (more water) and so it wasnt so great.  More like a fruitcicle if you had a stick on it
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,403 Senior Member
    Here's a recipe I've used for years. We did this one at the nuke plant multiple times in the summer on midnight shift. Good stuff.

Orange Crush sherbet

One 2 lier bottle of Orange Crush soft drink.
    One 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk.
    One 8 oz can of crushed pineapple.
    Makes slightly over 1/2 gallon of sherbet.
    Adding 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream makes for smoother, richer product, also.

Other flavors of Crush soft drink can be used to make different flavors of sherbet.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    just had the Hershey's chocolate syrup icecream.

not bad and alot softer than the others so far.   

i just guesstimated on the amount of syrup but i think about 1/8~ 1/4 cup.  But for my tastes could be less sweet.  But that will be another try for the next batch.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt