Home Main Category Clubhouse

North Texas Tollway Authority

kansashunterkansashunter Senior MemberPosts: 1,812 Senior Member
Have anybody had any dealings with this bunch? I received a bill last month and another one today so I called them and explained I have not been in Texas for several years and that I don't own a commercial vehicle. She said that they had contacted Kansas and that tag was registered to me, I don't believe them, I have never had a pwr tag and they are 6 numbers where a regular tag has 3. I was told I would have to contact the state of Kansas and get a letter proving it is not my tag and send that to them and they would check into it. I told her it was their problem and I am not paying no matter how many bills they send.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    We had similar problems when the Florida Tolls became toll by plate.  People were getting bills left and right.  I had paid one we received, thinking our SunPass Transponder did not function.  I then realized, Hey, that was a Sunday, I don't drive that road except when I go to work.  Then learned  if your transponder is missed, the tag program is supposed to cross check your plate number.  These highway tolls run by contractors have become a racket.  Pay the toll and fine or they issue a ticket out of state and you end up with a warrant
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    I have received bills from them, but they were legit due to using toll roads in Dallas driving to and from DFW.  I have also used the same toll roads for which I have yet to receive a bill, and it hasn't impacted getting my vehicles registered.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    It seems all of the toll road companies are starting to share info.  They should have sent you a pic with the license plate taken while passing a toll camera.  Without that there's nothing they can hold you to.  Also, it may be your plate number but from a different state, or a plate number close to yours with KS plate and they made a guess at what ever number or letter they couldn't make out.

Ask for a picture of the plate and vehicle and work from there.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Pretty much all of the Texas Toll Authorities are crooks.

The one in Central TX is known to purposely bill the wrong person until the bill is late, then send the tolls and late fees to the RIGHT person.  All of a sudden a $2 toll is a $30 late fee.  When you call them, they blame everyone else (“the info we got from the DPS was wrong!  We swear!”  Then how in the hell did you get the correct info now?!?), including YOU (“you know you took the toll road.  Why didn’t you contact us when you didn’t get a bill?”).   Their solution?  Get one of the pre-paid TxTag toll tags.  You put money on it, and then we can earn interest on your money while you cant use it.

There have been lots of news stories about how they operate, but for the most part, they just wave it off and have the attitude “What are you going to do?  Sit in traffic?  ride the toll roads and shut up, peon!”

sorry- these guys piss me off.  They tore up regular and replaced them with toll roads and charge us to drive on them.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    When they first went active in North Texas, the agreement was NTTA couldn't profit off of late fees and fines.  After six months NTTA reported to the state they had collected $25 to $30 million in late fees and fines.  Some of these into the thousands of dollars for one offense.  The state came down hard on them with the threat of shutting them down.  They refunded nearly 98% of the late fees and fines collected.  The also had to change their compound interest calculations that asses fees and fines for each day it was late.  For one of the first times I saw the state jump right in and slam this overseas company and put them in their place.  

If I remember correctly, though I may be wrong, after the record fees were collected, the state set the fines and penalties to make sure NTTA couldn't profit from them.  Most of the write ups I saw on it, folks thought they were very fair, but for habitual offenders after a certain date of being late and penalties can add up.  I remember seeing someone being billed $40K for driving the toll roads and cutting through DFW airport five days a week for two years and not paying their bills or fines.   They were arrested and the judge levied the full $40K fine and penalty on them for ignoring the laws, bills and fines.  The Dallas Morning news used to post the habitual offenders with the vehicle, license plate and owner for a few years.  Some of the fines were off the charts but so were there behavior.    
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    My bill is $104 plus some interest. I looked at their website and they have a lot of complaints. I would think they would want to fix this so they could collect from the correct person. I guess I will see where this goes but I am not paying. We won't be planning any trips to Texas just in case.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    I contacted the office of my house representative and I got a return phone call. They contacted the Kansas dept. of motor vehicles and they are going to contact Texas. Hopefully this is over and it was nice when an elected official helps you out. 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    Good news, hey
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia