Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Texas protester shot

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberPosts: 2,295 Senior Member
Read the article. Watch the police update video then the video posted by Anthony Martini. 

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200725/man-shot-to-death-during-downtown-austin-protest

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Strange how they're chanting against the PD in the last video, even though they (the PD) weren't the ones that shot him
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Also, I don't see a video from Anthony Martini, though there is one "Video Unavailable" window
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Also, I don't see a video from Anthony Martini, though there is one "Video Unavailable" window
    I wondered if the videos would show up. Idk if I can get it to play.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    See if this link works. 

Anthony Martino (@anthonyfartino) Tweeted: Clip of the shooting at the protest in Austin Texas from Hiram Gilberto on FB https://t.co/VFbzqfoSff
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    Officers on scene like 30 seconds after the shooting........oh the irony.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,967 Senior Member
    edited July 27 #7
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,153 Senior Member
    Since this happened just a short distance from where I sit right now... I am paying attention to this.  More data being reported this morning:

-Deceased dude had been protesting for 50 days straight.
    -Was interviewed by local news in the past few days and asked why he was carrying an AK-47 while protesting.  His response was something along the lines of “The people we are against are too big of ****** (slang term for a cat) to do anything.
    -Group of ‘protestors’ surrounded a vehicle and started beating on a car that was trying to pass through.
    -Driver of the car was a concealed carry licensee.
    -Deceased dude reportedly pointed his rifle at the driver.
    -Driver drew from the drop and shot the ‘peaceful protestor’, drove away called police to report what had happened, was instructed to pull over and then he began fully cooperating with the police.

IF all the above is correct, then the deceased “protestor” played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.  Assaulting someone by pointing a rifle at a driver WHEN THE DRIVER HAS THE RIGHT TO BE THERE (big difference between this and the St. Louis couple) is a good way to get shot.  

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    More data points:

-Two people fired shots in the incident.  One was the driver, and another was a different protestor who drew his gun and fired on the vehicle as it fled the scene.
    -Both shooters have been released.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,803 Senior Member
    Since this happened just a short distance from where I sit right now... I am paying attention to this.  More data being reported this morning:

-Deceased dude had been protesting for 50 days straight.
    -Was interviewed by local news in the past few days and asked why he was carrying an AK-47 while protesting.  His response was something along the lines of “The people we are against are too big of ****** (slang term for a cat) to do anything.
    -Group of ‘protestors’ surrounded a vehicle and started beating on a car that was trying to pass through.
    -Driver of the car was a concealed carry licensee.
    -Deceased dude reportedly pointed his rifle at the driver.
    -Driver drew from the drop and shot the ‘peaceful protestor’, drove away called police to report what had happened, was instructed to pull over and then he began fully cooperating with the police.

IF all the above is correct, then the deceased “protestor” played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.  Assaulting someone by pointing a rifle at a driver WHEN THE DRIVER HAS THE RIGHT TO BE THERE (big difference between this and the St. Louis couple) is a good way to get shot.  

Color me “not shocked at all”.  So this this information is correct the story will disappear from the news in 10, 9, 8, 7.....
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Video of the deceased talking about why he is carrying a rifle at the protest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhm-nbr4zhg
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Some of the comments on that youtube video are "priceless"

:D

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    IMO once you are brandishing weapons, and more specifically POINTING THEM AT PEOPLE you are no longer a protester. With the facts we’ve seen IMO the clown was an assailant and got what he deserved. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 776 Senior Member
    One less mouth breather in the world. 
    IMO once you are brandishing weapons, and more specifically POINTING THEM AT PEOPLE you are no longer a protester. With the facts we’ve seen IMO the clown was an assailant and got what he deserved. 
    Yep...

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    In other news: AK 47 for sale. Fired 5 rounds, dropped once. No reasonable offer will be refused.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,926 Senior Member
    An obvious error in the victim selection process...and a moron relying the "intimidation value" of his firearm....Teaching moment here...If you're going to go waving a gun around, you probably be ready to get into a gunfight
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 544 Senior Member
    It shouldn't make a person smile when someone loses their life, but these times are sure making it easier to do.
    It shouldn't make a person smile when someone loses their life, but these times are sure making it easier to do.
    It pains me to agree with you...

The victim of the shooting has come forward.  An Active duty Army Sargent from Ft. Hood in Killeen that has done one tour in Afghanistan.

He was driving for a Rideshare company, and since he is not local, did not know that there were illegal protests happening on Congress Ave.  

https://www.kxan.com/austin-george-floyd-mike-ramos-protests/man-who-shot-austin-protester-garrett-foster-reveals-identity-claims-self-defense-attorney-says/

Sgt. Perry’s view of the shooting:

Prior to arriving at the corner of Fourth Street and Congress Avenue, Sgt. Perry did not know that a demonstration was taking place,” the statement says.

“When Sgt. Perry turned on the Congress Avenue, several people started beating on his
    vehicle. An individual carrying an assault rifle, now known to be Garrett Foster, quickly approached the car and then motioned with the assault rifle for Mr. Perry to lower his window,” which the attorney says Perry did, thinking the gunman was a police officer.

The attorney says Foster then began to raise his weapon, and Perry shot and fired. Perry drove a short distance away to safety while another protester shot at him. He then called police.

Sounds like a clean shoot to me.

-Mikhail Kalashnikov
    The victim of the shooting has come forward.  An Active duty Army Sargent from Ft. Hood in Killeen that has done one tour in Afghanistan.

He was driving for a Rideshare company, and since he is not local, did not know that there were illegal protests happening on Congress Ave.  

https://www.kxan.com/austin-george-floyd-mike-ramos-protests/man-who-shot-austin-protester-garrett-foster-reveals-identity-claims-self-defense-attorney-says/

Sgt. Perry’s view of the shooting:

Prior to arriving at the corner of Fourth Street and Congress Avenue, Sgt. Perry did not know that a demonstration was taking place,” the statement says.

“When Sgt. Perry turned on the Congress Avenue, several people started beating on his
    vehicle. An individual carrying an assault rifle, now known to be Garrett Foster, quickly approached the car and then motioned with the assault rifle for Mr. Perry to lower his window,” which the attorney says Perry did, thinking the gunman was a police officer.

The attorney says Foster then began to raise his weapon, and Perry shot and fired. Perry drove a short distance away to safety while another protester shot at him. He then called police.

Sounds like a clean shoot to me.

Sue as **** does!

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    As far as the guy getting shot and killed, if you go looking for trouble then you're likely to find it. He bit off more than he could chew.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Even in liberal Austin this is a good reminder to folks that pointing a gun at anyone in Texas just to show off could be really bad for your health...