Home Main Category Clubhouse

Mover recommendations?

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,530 Senior Member
Any mover recommendations?

What about PODS or similar?
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    How much weight/volume are you planning to move? The PODS idea is interesting, but I have a feeling it's going to be expensive compared to more conventional cross-country moving methods. When I made the move from CA to TN in 1980, I towed a BIG trailer about 2500 miles, and Mary followed in another vehicle, towing a small station wagon with all our clothes crammed into it. It took us just under a week, but the trailer axles were over-wide and we weren't allowed to tow after dark. The main tow rig was a 1970 Cadillac Fleetwood towing an 18-foot 3-axle backhoe trailer, GVW 16,700 lbs.! I still spent less than a big U-Haul truck and trailer would have cost, even at 5 MPG.
    Jerry
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I was a mover for seven years. The old guys told me I'd never go back to honest work again. Just something to keep in mind. That was 30 some years ago, but I doubt the business has changed alot.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Any mover recommendations?

What about PODS or similar?

I used PODS 10 years ago for my California escape. You pack them at your convenience you retain the keys for the locks. It was cheaper than paying a professional mover, and driving U Haul trucks wasn't an option.

We drove our personal vehicles, with two kids, two dogs, and a cat. We took our time driving and stayed at KOAs. When we arrived at the new house, the PODs were waiting for us.

Easy peasy.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,530 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I used PODS 10 years ago for my California escape. You pack them at your convenience you retain the keys for the locks. It was cheaper than paying a professional mover, and driving U Haul trucks wasn't an option.

Ok, so the other question is, "How about loading?".

There's NO way I can handle this myself.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member

Dance sisters.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hire 2 Chicks wearing Hot-pants or two not sure what they is or two friendly dudes or gals...............you are in CA..........:jester:

You can probably hire folks to load yer POD if you go that way there and and when you get to FLA to unload too.

I imagine there is a going rate per pound per mile for regular movers to pack and move/deliver for you.

Probably lookin at $6,000-10,000 bucks fer a 2-3 bedroom house full of stuff if they pack and do it all.

Here is a calculator for a ballpark figure.

http://www.moving.com/movers/moving-cost-calculator.asp
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    That is from CA to FLA..............long way.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member

I had help loading the PODs (friends and family). When I arrived, I employed a couple guys from the local temp agency.

You can always look for help in the Home Depot parking lot. :tooth:
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

2 Guys and a Truck? Is that local only????
  • SargeSarge Member Posts: 324 Member
    The last two times I've moved, the Army paid for it. But one time they sent Mayflower, and the second they sent North American. Both were very good companies, and experiences. They don't touch firearms or ammo, along with a few other things such as any open food or refer stuff.
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
    I'm moving the MBR - huge furniture - most of the LR, the DR, the Library, and my tool chest in the garage plus a couple of random items in the shed - 2 or 3 plastic totes full of stuff, a generator, and some misc small stuff. Dumping the FR, some of the LR stuff, 95% of the kitchen stuff, an all bathroom stuff. Firearms and Ammo go into the Trunk of the MBZ, along with "whatever else" makes sense - probably most of the artwork and the altar out of the Library. Costumes get packed, mostly into a big wooden trunk that is half full of veils; china in the DR hutch gets packed, misc stuff like the vacuum cleaner, the computer monitors, etc get packed. And the Aughkstra - the stained glass window. I need to build a crate for it, it might just go crosswise in the MBZ behind the front seats...

I do need to find out about the piano. If they're going to charge me an arm and a leg to move it, Keyboard Carriage (a specialty Piano mover) might as well do it.

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    This is exactly why I told my wife I would never move once I got things half way set up years back. Now, I think the only way I'd move is, God forbid, a fire burns the house to the ground. And then I still wouldn't want to leave the acreage.

Anyway a POD will run you at least $5K from CA to FL by the time all the fees and such are added. Renting a truck (a BFT! the way you are talking) will be over $3K before car trailer, fuel and other stuff so I'd say $4K easy that way. Honestly, this might be a time to have a major moving sale and move lighter ... although the good stuff is always the heaviest. I will say this IF I ever did move I will never move my gun safes because I like my toes and back toooo much and thank God we do not have a piano.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Yea, there is the gun safe, but its a small one. But it still weights 301 lbs empty! But I have to move what I have to move - there's no way selling it and re-buying would be cost effective. I figure somewhere between $7K-$10K to move it all, easily twice that if I had to re-buy.

• SargeSarge Member Posts: 324 Member
    Yea, there is the gun safe, but its a small one. But it still weights 301 lbs empty! But I have to move what I have to move - there's no way selling it and re-buying would be cost effective. I figure somewhere between $7K-$10K to move it all, easily twice that if I had to re-buy.

It really boils down to how much space you need. It think the PODS run what, 17' long? Maybe? I know I've seen them transported with 3 of those on the back of a flatbed, if the trailer is 53' long, that works out to be 17' per pod with a bit of extra wiggle room. If you go with a moving company such as North American or Mayflower, they come in, bring an 18 wheeler, pack up your stuff for you and load it up. I'm sure if you check the websites of any of these places you can get a real time quote.
    Pain is okay. Puking is okay. Fear is okay. Falling is okay. Crawling is okay. Failure is okay. Quitting is not.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,787 Senior Member
    Zorba, I set up moves for the Military daily. For the items you named, a pod or two may be your best option. Van Lines are going to charge you by weight.

Doing your own packing will save you a bunch of money. Pods are not cheap, but if you cut back items it may be OK for you seeing that you seem to have heavy items.
    If you use the pods, you can hire a local company by the hour to help you load.

When you get estimates, make sure you get a guaranteed not to exceed price. They tend to low ball your weight, then charge you way moreand have weight tickets to prove their charges.

Give me a holler if I can help.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,654 Senior Member
    I think the PODS are the way to go. Figure out how many you need, and if there's stuff you can't pack yourself get a couple of strong guys to help you.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Uhaul has a service that refers "packers" for your move. They can help with PODS as well.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingHelp/

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 360 Member

Is a spammer.

Link in text

Good catch, it looks like normal text.

Graveyard post is always a good clue.

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,373 Senior Member
    have you asked for any quotes?  they may want to see what you all have and do a walk through to get a better guess/estimate on your stuff.

but im sure i dont have to say this, but have you considered having a big garage sale before you go and downsize as much as you can?   Even if you have to buy some stuff what you may need when you arrive, i find that some people like to buy new - again.  New house, new stuff.

Im sure there are something that you cant just buy, but im thinking of things like furniture and big/bulky things.   

im downsizing my moms stuff since she passed years ago now.  My dad doesnt want to do it.  She had china sets for all 3 of us kids and kitchen ware too.  she also had rentals so our basement looks like a hardware store and used to look like a used appliance store too.  I still have one range to find a home for and some other small furniture.  finally found a home for the encyclopedias.

Maybe if you dont want to sell, consider donating. There will be alot of new unemployed people and newly homeless people due to COVID.  Or of you have any good friends, some maybe willing to take some stuff off your hands.

have fun.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    edited August 6 #23

ilove22s said:

have fun.

He did.  :D
    edited August 6 #24
    Yep, its all over - even the crying! Went with North American. I did most of the packing, although I had some hired help with the very fragile stuff - vases from Greece, my altar setup, and similar things. Those all rode in my car across country, along with my firearms and ammo. The stained glass Aughkstra also went in the car in a crate I built for it standing behind the front seats. Everything made it just fine - a bit of rubbing damage on the grandfather's clock that was easily touched up was the only thing that wasn't 100%.
    The car barely made it here, but that's another story!

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,841 Senior Member
    I'm late to the party, but can offer the following.

MOVING SUCKS!  It doesn't matter who you go with, how good they say they are, they're going to break something and it will cost more than the initial estimate.  I've moved twice since 2017, and don't think I have another one in me.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,095 Senior Member
    Agree!  I just sold my house and moved and I only intend to do that one more time in my life.