Home Main Category Clubhouse

The Wisdom of UPS Delivery

PFDPFD Senior MemberPosts: 1,308 Senior Member
UPS sends me a message telling me I have a package requiring a signature that will be delivered the 24th.
I know I'll be gone then and go to their website to schedule for the 25th.
They want $5.00.
I'm not going to pay them $5.00 to help them be more efficient.
So I let them try on the 24th, leave a note and come back on the 25th. 😮
Heck, I would have saved them a trip if they wouldn't have tried to charge me. 😂
That's all I got.

Paul

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,669 Senior Member
    you handled that in the finest American way.     B)
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,652 Senior Member
    I believe you can put a note on your door to tell the delivery person to leave package without giving a signature. It should say that on your email.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,523 Senior Member
    That is the same logic that's at work in airlines.  They want to charge me $35 to check a bag...  So I carry it to the gate as a carry on.  At the gate they always ask if anyone wants to "gate check" any bags for free.  So I then check in my bag at no cost and twice the work for the airline.  

I'm convinced the world of "transportation" is run by idiots...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 315 Member
    I placed an order for some muzzle loading supplies last week, including some percussion caps.  The company made a big deal about how caps and powder would be shipped separately and require an adult signature upon delivery to comply with Federal Law.

UPS left a note when they tried to deliver the package that required a signature, and they re-routed the package to a UPS access point for me to pick up in person.

When I got home with the package that I ultimately did not have to sign for (Because - COVID!) I found the percussion caps in the box boldly marked "EXPLOSIVE" on it waiting for me on my porch.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,525 Senior Member
    I've recently gotten some emails from UPS, "Track your delivery", where you can see the GPS position of the delivery truck as it runs around all day. There is ZERO rhyme nor reason to it, it zig zags all over this part of town, passes within a half block of my house multiple times, re-visits the same street repeatedly, etc, etc.

I even asked the driver "what's up with this?" - apparently, the day's route is laid out for them in advance - and it certainly isn't based on geography! It looks so random that I wonder if it isn't just by the order the packages are loaded on the truck! A little bit of planning would probably cut the daily mileage by a third, and the time by half! *shrug*
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,095 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    That is the same logic that's at work in airlines.  They want to charge me $35 to check a bag...  

You are just flying on the wrong airline....

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,776 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    That is the same logic that's at work in airlines.  They want to charge me $35 to check a bag...  So I carry it to the gate as a carry on.  At the gate they always ask if anyone wants to "gate check" any bags for free.  So I then check in my bag at no cost and twice the work for the airline.  

Being one of those guys I want to resent that, but its true.

Have been doing the check at the gate for a while now
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    GunNut said:
    That is the same logic that's at work in airlines.  They want to charge me $35 to check a bag...  

Southwest! I only fly somebody else under duress, and *NEVER* United. I'd rather walk.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    GunNut said:

That's when I'm forced to fly American.  On Delta I have status so no issues there...

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

edited August 6 #11
    zorba said:
    I've recently gotten some emails from UPS, "Track your delivery", where you can see the GPS position of the delivery truck as it runs around all day. There is ZERO rhyme nor reason to it, it zig zags all over this part of town, passes within a half block of my house multiple times, re-visits the same street repeatedly, etc, etc.

I even asked the driver "what's up with this?" - apparently, the day's route is laid out for them in advance - and it certainly isn't based on geography! It looks so random that I wonder if it isn't just by the order the packages are loaded on the truck! A little bit of planning would probably cut the daily mileage by a third, and the time by half! *shrug*
    There is a logic and science to it but for security purposes it actually makes more sense for it to be (look) "random" and for routes to overlap.  It's on purpose.  If they didn't do that it would be much easier for folks to figure out how tho jack the trucks with all the good stuff.  The added cost is assigned to security.  I got that right from the horses mouth when we were doing some work for them.  They even told me what an "average" truckload is worth and I almost fainted.

Even with precautions, in some places in LATAM their "losses" are in double digit percentage numbers.  You even want to see what nuts definition is visit one of the depots in Brazil or Mexico...

GunNut said:
    There is a logic and science to it but for security purposes it actually makes more sense for it to be (look) "random" and for routes to overlap.  It's on purpose.  If they didn't do that it would be much easier for folks to figure out how tho jack the trucks with all the good stuff.  The added cost is assigned to security.  I got that right from the horses mouth when we were doing some work for them.  They even told me what an "average" truckload is worth and I almost fainted.

Even with precautions, in some places in LATAM their "losses" are in double digit percentage numbers.
    That at least makes some sense. I gave up watching the website after the first couple of times - drove me nuts! In fact, I have a delivery coming today - not even bothering with the website watch thing.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,073 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

How do you have a blade with you when you land if you dont check a bag?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    GunNut said:

How do you have a blade with you when you land if you dont check a bag?
    I carry a solid metal pen wherever I go.  No need for a blade.

Diver43 said: Being one of those guys I want to resent that, but its true.

Have been doing the check at the gate for a while now
    I meant folks in the business of transporting “stuff”, not folks like you that have to deal with their random madness...  they are the MOST resistive to technology that would fix ALL their problems.  The companies are run by dinosaurs that came through the ranks and think their way is best because it’s a way they’ve been doing it for 200 years.  That why Amazon is becoming their own carrier and will put them ALL out of business.  Some day Amazon will be delivering your mail...

Amazon ain't perfect, but they're pretty good 99% of the time!

zorba said:
    Amazon ain't perfect, but they're pretty good 99% of the time!
    They are AMAZING on customer service.  We ordered a dog crate for the new pup.  Amazon sent the wrong model.  We wanted the two door they sent the single door.  

Wife calls and before she hung up they had the double door out the door for overnight delivery and a tracking number in her email.

My wife: ”How do I return the single door crate?”

Amazon: “You don’t have to.  Please donate it to a local dog shelter if you don’t need it.  Thank you for doing business with Amazon and sorry for the inconvenience.”

I ordered a big bottle is Sweets Copper cleaner.  No updates and 3 days late past the delivery date in the USPS site so “Lost” in the mail. I called and they again expedited a replacement Which arrived on time.  4 days later the lost bottle shows up in my mail box.  Called Amazon and they said just keep it, no charge, sorry for the inconvenience.

THAT is how you handle customer issues.

Agreed. I have a minor issue right now with a 3rd party seller on Amazon...

zorba said:
    Notify Amazon, they will take care of it.  We had an issue with a vendor from China and it got resolved in a few days
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    zorba said:
    Notify Amazon, they will take care of it.  We had an issue with a vendor from China and it got resolved in a few days
    It finally fixed itself, after a second email. This vendor was VERY weird - never shipped, ignored my first two emails, had similar bad feedback from others, etc. BUT - same vendor, lower price, VERY fast shipping, much better feedback on eBay.

zorba said:
    Diver43 said:
    zorba said:
    This.  I never deal with the vendors directly, only Amazon.  They take care of everything swiftly!

GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    Diver43 said:
    zorba said:
    This.  I never deal with the vendors directly, only Amazon.  They take care of everything swiftly!
    Amazon referred me to the vendor. *shrug* - it finally got resolved after a 3rd email basically telling them that they shipped immediately when I ordered the same item (for less) on eBay, but never shipped nor ACK-ed the purchase on Amazon, then wouldn't cancel either. They finally did. Anyway, all's well that ends well - it was a new gearshift knob for the Jeep, its on now and its nice!

zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    Diver43 said:
    zorba said:
    Amazon referred me to the vendor. *shrug* - it finally got resolved after a 3rd email basically telling them that they shipped immediately when I ordered the same item (for less) on eBay, but never shipped nor ACK-ed the purchase on Amazon, then wouldn't cancel either. They finally did. Anyway, all's well that ends well - it was a new gearshift knob for the Jeep, its on now and its nice!
    Wow, I’m kind’a shocked!  Every issue we’ve had, granted have not been many, have been resolved on one call.  Granted I’ve never bought car parts on Prime, so no clue how that works.  Glad it got resolved for you.

GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    Diver43 said:
    zorba said:
    Wow, I’m kind’a shocked!  Every issue we’ve had, granted have not been many, have been resolved on one call.  Granted I’ve never bought car parts on Prime, so no clue how that works.  Glad it got resolved for you.
    Hmmmm.... Maybe that's the difference, I didn't do it by voice, I did it by email - or contact form stuff at least.

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,796 Senior Member
    I use amazon for some things but parts is not one of them. I ordered brake pads once and got the wrong ones, no problem easy to return, ordered another set and they were wrong and I made sure they were supposed to fit. I sent them back and ordered from Summit. It didn't cost me any money but even my time is worth something.  
    Or the difference could be......Zorba, do you have a Prime account?
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    Diver43 said:
    zorba said:
    At the beginning of the pandemic, I ordered 6 Neck Gaiters in assorted colors.  Figured if Covid ended quick, we would have them for kayaking and fishing.  Anyway, as the order went in i realized how long the shipping was.  Forgot about the order and realized it was late.  Sent an email and received the canned due to covid 19 shipments are delayed.  Gave it until the drop dead date and contacted Amazon, Within 10 minutes my money was refunded.  Of course a week later the package arrived.  We do not like bad Karma so contacted the seller via email.  They said keep the gaiters, no charge, but please review the product.  I did a bit of tracing and learned the package was actually delayed in US Customs for weeks.   The product is great and shipping delay was not the vendors fault so I said so.  
    Bottom line is Amazon usually responds immediately.  They had some hick cups when Covid started, but who didn't.

As for UPS tracking, the route is useless until you get to within a few stops.  Not sure if their route is that scattered, or the program throws out mixed GPS locations for safety.   I know that because GPS transponder tracking is easy to trace, certain carriers moving certain Military equipment, will mix signals and with proper decryption you can not locate the actual location. 
    Nope. ENTIRELY too cheap for that!

zorba said:
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... Sorry, assumed you did.  Prime is awesome, CS is flawless and has saved me a TON of money over the years, not to mention all the great TV content.  But I know you don’t do TV so I guess useless for you.

GunNut said:
    ...But I know you don’t do TV so I guess useless for you.
    Yea, pretty much. Wife has something called "sling", plus Netflix and some kind of HBO. She watches TV all the time, especially the news, I watch something 2 or 3 times a year - and its usually a movie.

edited August 9 #31
    zorba said:

I used to be of the same persuasion as you.  But with the COVID lockdown I started doing much more shopping online.  The Prime account saves me more in shipping every month than it costs me.  Overall it has turned out to be a good investment.