Home Main Category General Firearms

Ammo shortage

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,812 Senior Member
Ok, I’m obviously late to this party. But I’ve seen no threads on it yet, so.......
I know since the current ‘uncertain’ times, 9mm ammo has been tougher to get and limited on how much you can purchase, etc. 
But I didn’t realize 9mm and .45 bullets are getting hard to find. 

Is it hoarding? I think so. Someone at range told me it was that mining has shut down so raw materials are slim. Maybe? 

Anyways, that’s my rant. I currently load 45acp with 2 presses and child labor, but was thinking of buying a used progressive press. I certainly won’t if I can’t find bullets. 

Please respond with high level and thoroughly researched answers🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,370 Senior Member
    Been that way for a while now.  Small pistol primers have been scare for over six months in my area.  Fortunately I stocked up on .45 acp 6-8 months ago and have 500 or so plus the 2,000 I've already reloaded over the past two years.  (Used to shoot a lot.)

Just have to keep checking.  Happy so many are reloading but also makes reloading trying at times.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,504 Senior Member
    Absolutely hoarding.  Even the weird stuff is gone.  The only ammo I was a little light on was .380 and one of my partners hooked me up with a “family” deal, so I’m good for quite a bit.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,878 Senior Member
    I have one round of everything I need. I'm good.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,372 Senior Member
    edited August 8 #5
    Fwiw,

im about 60 y/o this year.

its not my first rodeo.

anytime there is a questionable election or a mass shooting, people do the panic buying thingy.  its what i happen to observe.  

so, what i did long time ago was to buy some components when i had some extra money or found a decent deal.  Not awesome deal, but decent deal.  And i just stocked up on bullets, powders, primers and most of my brass is range.  But i do have factory ammo and when i shoot that, its my brass to shoot.

I also have some CCI aluminum case stuff for when i cant pickup my brass or im too lazy.  

But also during that time i was also buying some factory ammo too.  Maybe a case if it was a good deal, but if not, i would buy 2, 3 or 4 boxes and put aside.  

I also dont shoot up whatever i buy either.  Its not like a hand to mouth, or ammo to gun, if i buy some ammo, i will put at least 1/2 away for later.

So if i wanted to go shooting and didnt have any reloads, i could bring some factory.  

i also dont shoot alot anymore since ive been doing the travel thingy.

but not sure how everyone thinks or does things, but thats how i got and what i got and what i have now.  If there is an component shortage or ammo shortage, it doesnt bother me.  

Some people offer to buy what i have at the price I paid years ago, but im not that nice anymore.  way too many people havent figured it out and they had the time and MORE money than me to do so.  Its just they choose to spend their money on something else.

maybe when things die down and get back to normalish you may want to consider buying some stuff and build up your own stockpile.  Its not like you need to buy/reload for your whole state, but buy enough to keep you comfortable for a couple/several months of shooting.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 543 Senior Member
    Ant and grasshopper 
    Not my first winter.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    The shortage will be over February 12, 2021..

You heard it hear first.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,681 Senior Member
    edited August 8 #8
    Fear of the Rona. 5.56/.223 has doubled in price. Pretty sure ammo plants have been running, but not positive. I have been stocking for years at sale prices.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,642 Senior Member
    I haven't been shooting much lately but have been buying ammo.
    Every time I am looking for something I find ammo that I forgot about. Think I have enough to last for more then an couple months (with a lot of shooting) and also have enough reloading supplies to load up a bunch more if needed.
    Was at Scheels sporting goods yesterday and they still have a pretty good supply and the guy there said they are not raising prices unless their supplier raises theirs. So far they are still in the decent price category.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,479 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I haven’t bought ammo in a couple of decades. 
    No bragging Uncle Sugar is your pimp :) Seriously though, I hope everything I pay in goes to you and your colleagues.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Same here.  Taken several years for my stockpile but between factory and reloading my family is good for it needs.  Even enough to barter with if necessary.   Last outage of .22LR I had wisely purchased 5,000 rounds as my two oldest grandsons were shooting a lot.  They hit teens and stopped shooting for awhile.  I naively sold bricks to acquaintances at cost that cried they couldn't find any ammo to take their kids out.  One guy sold a brick from me to a guy for $100.   Pissed me off that he used me.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,973 Senior Member
    Ant and grasshopper 
    Not my first winter.

This!!
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,878 Senior Member
    think I've bought 3 boxes of 9mm in the past 20 years, mostly because I don't like handloading pistol ammo. I have 4 rifles that have never fired a factory round. Handloading is where it's at.

I have components, never opened, that I bought during the first O'bama scare. And plenty more. I just chuckle a bit every time the panic-buying frenzy hits.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    I’m pretty stocked up on everything, but I can blow through 9mm pretty fast. My rifles also don’t shoot factory ammo, any my shotgun ammo will last a long time. A guy just gets tired of dumb shortages!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    bellcat said:
    I’m pretty stocked up on everything, but I can blow through 9mm pretty fast. My rifles also don’t shoot factory ammo, any my shotgun ammo will last a long time. A guy just gets tired of dumb shortages!

Amen to that. And if Trump doesn't win we're really going to get shortages.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    The shortage will be over February 12, 2021..

You heard it hear first.

You just beat me to it. But if the wrong one wins we may all be short.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,094 Senior Member
    I have started checking the Lucky Gunner website every couple of days to see what pops up.  Caught some .22LR in stock on Thursday, the Brown Truck is delivering it today.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,345 Senior Member
    For the last few months firearms have been breaking record sales, and people are buying ammo to go with them.  People with firearms already are buying all the ammo they can afford as the Mayors and Governors are calling off the PD and telling them to stand down and let the 'peaceful rioters and murderers' go unchecked. That makes for more sales. The only two ammo makers I know for sure that are running are Remington and Winchester and they can't keep up. I'd make a guess that the others are, too. Scared people are buying up guns and the ammunition to go with them, and that makes components like cases, powder, primers, and bullets hard to get; I've got plenty of all four for what I shoot. 

If Trump wins in November then things will return to mostly normal, and if Biden wins then it will get worse. Assault ban under Clinton, and then Obama's shenanigans taught us how long it will last. Buy what you need/use when it's available and you will have it in times like this. When a Democrat says gun ban or exorbitant tax on guns and  ammunition is a poor  time to not buy when it's available. I mean, seriously, look what Covid did to the toilet paper supply! :D  
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,372 Senior Member
    tennmike said:.......If Trump wins in November then things will return to mostly normal, and if Biden wins then it will get worse. Assault ban under Clinton, and then Obama's shenanigans taught us how long it will last. Buy what you need/use when it's available and you will have it in times like this. When a Democrat says gun ban or exorbitant tax on guns and  ammunition is a poor  time to not buy when it's available. I mean, seriously, look what Covid did to the toilet paper supply! :D  

again, not my first rodeo.....

What i noticed is that doenst make a difference on whos/what, its the change and fear of change that scares people to do the crazy things... Also trust.  If you cant trust who's watching the chicken coop, you will be doing it.

but thats just me and how i think...im sure others that are better connected and more money/power know more than i do.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,909 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Ant and grasshopper 
    Not my first winter.

This!!
    If ammo becomes coin, call me banker. 😉

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,194 Senior Member

Bullets are only scarce if you're relying on someone else to make them.

I do not think that hoarding is really the problem right now.

The problem is that (to use the current vernacular), we have a lot of new people who just got "woke" to the notion of self-sufficiency.  Many here on this forum have got ready for the "zombie apocalypse" years ago due to Clinton, Obama, or the ban scare of the week.  Most of the current shoppers are probably starting from zero.  Some are undoubtedly thinking of purchasing by the thousand-count unit, but I think we mostly have 50-100-count purchasers multiplied by the thousands.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    edited August 9 #23
    Went by Academy Sports this evening.  They had more ammo than I expected, but mostly oddball calibers.  Had a lot of 12 gauge sporting clay rounds, so I picked up a couple of boxes of that.  They had .22 Shorts and .22 WMR but no .22LR.  After leaving the store I got to thinking, then went on my phone and ordered a .22 WMR cylinder for my American Heritage revolver.  Thought I remembered something else, just checked and yes, my wife's Henry lever gun will shoot .22 Shorts as well as .22L and .22LR.  Looks like I will be headed back to Academy Sports tomorrow......and the .22LR ammo I ordered from Lucky Gunner did arrive today.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    edited August 9 #24
    I have one round of everything I need. I'm good.

Mike
    Barney Fife and his one bullet.

As to OP’s original question, I am learning to cast boolits because of this shortage.  I have 1000 small pistol primer sand 2000 small rifle primers put away.  I should have enough powder for both.

After this mess subsided, I’ll keep 2,000 each plus Powder set aside.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    I have started working up loads for powders I have in cartridges they wouldnt normally be used in due to how unavailable powder is around here.  I have been told by a lot of people that Benchmark wont work with 120-123gr bullets in 6.5 Grendel, but I have found it works well.  About to try some H1000 loads in 6.5x55 with 142gr ABLR bullets as well.  Is it an ideal powder for the cartridge?  Probably not, but I have it and its worth a try since I could still get it last I looked.  There will be lots of playing with IMR 4064 and Varget in the future as well.  When things get scarce as they have, its time to try combinations that wouldnt normally be thought of.  

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,743 Senior Member
    I have been forced to buy factory ammo.....22 lr and 22wmr.

I don't hoard but I have enough to last a shortage and haven't needed to buy since the last shortage ended.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,073 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

Bullets are only scarce if you're relying on someone else to make them.

I do not think that hoarding is really the problem right now.

The problem is that (to use the current vernacular), we have a lot of new people who just got "woke" to the notion of self-sufficiency.  Many here on this forum have got ready for the "zombie apocalypse" years ago due to Clinton, Obama, or the ban scare of the week.  Most of the current shoppers are probably starting from zero.  Some are undoubtedly thinking of purchasing by the thousand-count unit, but I think we mostly have 50-100-count purchasers multiplied by the thousands.
    This.  When the ammunition supply chain is based off of the majority of shooters being 'casuals' that may run 50-100 rounds of pistol ammo a year, a box of hunting ammo every 3 years, and maybe 300 rounds of .22lr.... it makes stuff go completely sideways when MILLIONS of new gun owners flood the market and immediately demand 1000 rounds of 9mm and .223.

Add in a pandemic with low labor and production shutdown
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,504 Senior Member
    The great news is that in a couple of months we’ll see 1,000 Round cases of 9mm and ARs at rock bottom prices as soon as the new shooters figure out they have no interest in either...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Went back to Academy Sports today to pick up the .22 Short and .22 WMR ammo I noticed yesterday.  Noted that they do have plenty of .270 ammo on the shelf.  I guess if it won't do more than anger a chipmunk it's not much good for self defense.  :D  Perused the gun counter.......sad.  I am pretty sure I have more handguns in my house than they have in that 40 ft. long display case.
    I'm guilty.  Over the years I have hoarded and just supplied my daughter with xx,xxx rounds of multiple calibers for multiple guns.  And, I've retained most of my reloading for some "good days" of instruction with her in the weeks ahead.   

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    Went back to Academy Sports today to pick up the .22 Short and .22 WMR ammo I noticed yesterday.  Noted that they do have plenty of .270 ammo on the shelf.  I guess if it won't do more than anger a chipmunk it's not much good for self defense.  :D  Perused the gun counter.......sad.  I am pretty sure I have more handguns in my house than they have in that 40 ft. long display case.
    Any rifle round that won’t work in an Semi-automatic Rifle is generally available.  

Every time there is a shortage, 40 S&W seems the last Self defense pistol ammo to go.  I might just pick up a LE trade in for my collection.