Home Main Category Hunting

Has anyone used the "new" Sierra bullets (TMK TGK/Gamechanger) bullets on game?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,096 Senior Member
Since they've been available for a while, I'm curious as to their terminal performance.

My only time using them was a head shot on a doe at a little over 100 yards with my 300BO and the 125 Tipped Matching. As most of you know, even a full metal jacketed, supersonic, rifle bullet through the brain is normally a DRT, and it was with my one TMK shot.

So, any results from the Tipped Game King/Game changers or Tipped Match Kings?

I think I vaguely remember @Ernie Bishop mentioning them, but am not sure
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,031 Senior Member
    edited July 21 #2
    With a friend when he used a 168gr TMK from a .308 Win to take an Axis doe at about 60 yards. 
    Bullet thrashed the internals on a broadside shot and lodged under hide on off side. Deer ran about 15-20 yards. 
    Seems softer than an A-Max. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    thanks
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I’ve thought about playing around with them. But, they cost more than A-Max / ELD-Match. So, probably won’t happen. 
    I understand. I went looking online, and suffered sticker shock :o  :#

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    I bought some 130gr 6.5 gamechangers and worked up a load for the x55 Finnlight
    So far I've shot numerous wallaby and one large [ for kind] Fallow spiker, all were killed
    as they were with 120 noslers and 140gr amax [I have about 1200 140gr amax left so haven't moved to the edl-x yet
    They are cheaper per 100 over here than the 143gr  edl-x by 10$ NZ a box and  about cost 73 cents a projectile compared to the Nosler Bt's at $1.20 a projectile.

I don't know the difference if any to the tipped match Kings but I'd assume that the tip of the bullet has been bored out somewhat to a bigger cavity to enhance expansion.

I really cannot pick a difference yet in performance between the 120/30/40 gr on that sort of game except I use the finn as a walk about so I like a faster flatter bullet, eg the 120 noslers
    The other x55 and the 6 .5 06 I run the 140s

Probably to much info above knitepoet but upshot for this type of hunting I would see no reason to buy again over what I already use and If I'm hunting bigger bodied red deer I pack the 30 06.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Thanks Owen

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited August 7 #8
    I'll just stick with my ratty old SGKs and Nosler and Combined Technologies Ballistic Tips. They've all been doing it for me for 40 years.

If I want something for bigger, heavier game, I'll just use Nosler Partitions.

Some things it's just hard to improve on so why kick that poor ol' sleeping dog?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Because science, experimentation, learning, and new things are good and fun. 

Knowledge. Learning. Improving. Who’d a thunk it?!?
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    snake284 said:

Some things it's just hard to improve on so why kick that poor ol' sleeping dog?
    Sometimes you do science and get a surprise.  Not the same as this discussion, but I found that my Ruger .350L does not shoot 170-180gr .355 bullets very well but will shoot 180gr .358 bullets resized to .356 with sub 1" groups fairly easily.

My experience with tipped bullets has been less than favorable.  I assume the TMK and TGK are cup and core.  I do look forward to a chance to try some bonded bullets to see if they do better.
    snake284 said:

Because I KNOW how Rem CoreLokt, NBT, Hornady SP etc, et al work on game. After finding that out, I get bored with "that" load and want to try something different.

I've used 1 125gr TMK on deer. An approximately 110yrd head shot with my 16" 300BO

Bullet performance through the cranial vault, with a supersonic bullet, is pretty much a non-issue. She would have probably died just as quickly with a FMJ and the same placement.