Home Main Category General Firearms

Tried my first stock restoration (Marlin 780)

KosmoCramerKosmoCramer Posts: 20 New Member
edited July 27 in General Firearms #1
I decided to refinish The stock of my Grandfathers old Marlin 780 (Manufactured in 1977).  I re-engraved the checkering and design with a hobby razor as best I could.  I also drew the Groundhog and landscape and then used a wood burning tool to burn it into the stock surface.  Still have a few more coats of Tru-Oil to apply.

any advice?

Before:

After:

I’ll post some more when the Tru Oil coats are finished.

Replies

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,851 Senior Member
    Wow! Good hustle!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Nice work!
    You going to keep the white spacer?
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,822 Senior Member
    Good job on the checkering, especially with a hobby knife!!  I like it!! That's the kind of stuff I love the most these days, restoring old and neglected closet queens and bringing them back to their former glory. I have a soft spot for old .22's because they have been used and shot the most and probably have more memories!!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,899 Senior Member
    Nice work, you have much more patience than I
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,759 Senior Member
    Nicely done!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• KosmoCramerKosmoCramer Posts: 20 New Member
    Nice work!
    You going to keep the white spacer?
    I didn’t even think of that... you think it’ll look better with or without?  I still want the classic look... so maybe with?
    Do you guys think I should go with a Satin finish or polish it up when I’m done with the Tru Oil?
    Do you guys think I should go with a Satin finish or polish it up when I’m done with the Tru Oil?
    Satin and while I’m not a huge fan of the white spacers I also recognize them as part of a good vintage look.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I have Marlin 783.. I've carried it through some badly needed days afield. It has the white spacer and wouldn't seem right without it. The work you've done is very nice. Whatever you decide for yours will be right.
    Another quick question.. in the 3rd photo.. there looks like a plug in the sling swivel spot... is that a plug that I pop out to put a stud in or do I actually drill into that?
    edited July 27 #12
    Satin is a classier finish than the high gloss!! 
    Here's a Marlin I recently refinished with a satin finish. I left out the white spacers. You should leave the butt plate and grip cap in place otherwise after you sand the stock the butt plate will be slightly oversized. I had the trim the butt plate down to fit properly.
    Another quick question.. in the 3rd photo.. there looks like a plug in the sling swivel spot... is that a plug that I pop out to put a stud in or do I actually drill into that?
    Marlin has been putting those in their stocks for s long time.  A little bit of a trademark and has nothing to do with sling studs.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,724 Senior Member
    A Marlin bullseye.  I would complete the Tru Oil before freshening up the checkering/carving, but it looks great the way you did it.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Big Al1 said:
    Here's a Marlin I recently refinished with a satin finish. I left out the white spacers. You should leave the butt plate and grip cap in place otherwise after you sand the stock the butt plate will be slightly oversized. I had the trim the butt plate down to fit properly.
    I didn’t even think about leaving the butt plate in before sanding.. hopefully it isn’t off that much
    Big Al1 said:
    I didn’t even think about leaving the butt plate in before sanding.. hopefully it isn’t off that much
    I did that to an old beater gun.  Had to take a little off the plate to even it out. I should have read BigAls posts first
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    edited July 28 #17
    Not a fan of wood engravings on a stock other than some checkering for better grip, specially if the gun is taken to the field, but still very nice job! 

I'd leave the white spacer in this one if original.

I'd give it the same finish it had when new.

Those old .22 rifles are amazing!
    Finished with the Tru Oil... I believe I did about 7 or 8 coats.. lost count

I’ll let it sit for a few days and do the Tru Oil Conditioner for the Satin finish.  Also bought sling swivels and ordered a brown leather sling from Amazon which I will need to install.  
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,068 Senior Member
    looks good :)
    Nice work
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Ya had me at Marlin!! Looks great!!
    Looks Good
    Almost ready for the target range!

Finished product for now .. did multiple coats of Tru Oil and fine sanding and more coats.  Cleaned the rifle and reattached.

Drilled in swivel studs - the rear is very slightly off center (but good enough for not having a vice or work bench).

I would have a scope on but I bought Redfield see through scope ring bases from amazon and one of the thumb knobs stripped so I’m waiting for the replacement.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,419 Senior Member
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,724 Senior Member
    Good for you.  You'll never have a problem recognizing this rifle.  It's one of a kind.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Very nice!

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Good work dude! I like it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.