Home Main Category General Firearms

Hey everyone...new here...suggestions about handgun....

2»

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,466 Senior Member
    If it's for the house rather than carry, get the shotgun first, then figure out the pistol.  It has often been said that the primary purpose of a handgun is to give you something to fight your way to the proper weapon for the job.

Beyond that I would suggest 9mm Glocks or .357 revolvers loaded (initially at least) with .38 Specials based on your level of mechanical aptitude and commitment.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,559 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #33
    knitepoet said:
    Hello (or welcome back???)

There's no more of a "one size fits all" self defense handgun than there are "one size fits all" shoes.

Home defense or concealed carry?
    IWB/OWB or pocket carry?
    Hand size?
    Recoil tolerance?
    Budget?

I am currently enamored with the Ruger EC9s (purchased 2 of them in recent months). It's small enough for pocket carry, and with either the finger extension mag base plate or the extended 9 round mag, it's got plenty of grip area for even my ham hands. The fact that you should be able to get one for under $300 out the door doesn't hurt either

edited to add: the "(or welcome back???)" is in case you're the newest incarnation of the mods' favorite "whack-a-troll"
    "sigh" I am brand new here. I don't know what "welcome back" means. I am someone getting ready to start classes and wanted to find a forum where I could get some great advice. 
    Gunnut explained it.
    My apologies if it came across wrong. I answered your question as best as I could because I wasn't sure and I edited in the explanation for the (or welcome back???)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,581 Senior Member
    For house use, a shot gun with slugs is a good choice.
    Welcome to both of our new members who are on this thread.
    A Glock 9mm (17 or 19) would be a good start for semi-autos, unless you choose to go with a 22lr, as some have suggested.  Glad you will be getting some training to work on the fundamentals.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    For house use, a shot gun with slugs is a good choice.
    Welcome to both of our new members who are on this thread.
    A Glock 9mm (17 or 19) would be a good start for semi-autos, unless you choose to go with a 22lr, as some have suggested.  Glad you will be getting some training to work on the fundamentals.
    As the other newb, thanks for the welcome!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    As Ernie said, a Glock 17 or 19 is a great start. I carrie a Glock 43. It fits in my pocket holster where you can't see it and it's not heavy. I don't even know I'm carrying it.  I have a spare magazine that puts me to 12 rounds. If I don't have him down on the ground by that many shots I deserve to die. Practice is the key. I dry fire it enough that I'm comfortable and shoot it enough with live ammo I know that it's deadly. My next Glock is a 19.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ProtectMyself_NoFearProtectMyself_NoFear Posts: 13 New Member
    Everything my peers have told you here, I agree with. (Though, like GunNut, I'm a bit negative toward a .22 rimfire fired from a handgun length barrel for self defense), and even cast a jaundiced eye at the .380 ACP (though my wife loves hers). But.....here's a question.......

Is your primary purpose EDC (Every Day Carry, meaning on your person at all times), or HD (Home Defense within your own castle walls)? Use of either carry significant legal ramifications, often quite different from the other.  

For some reason, likely my misperception, when I approved your membership this morning ,I thought you inferred HD. Not that it would have made any difference. But on to the tools.

EDC...handgun, period. It's hard to comfortably conceal anything else. Pistol, revolver, style, brand....strictly your choice.(I would,though, tend to steer away from "Basement Bargain" priced handguns if I'm thinking I might have to bet my life on it). If an EDC, it not only has to feel right when holding and firing it, but it MUST be comfortable to carry. Otherwise, chances are high you won't have it when you need it. Depending on how you plan to carry it, it's not a bad idea to budget a couple hundred $ more finding the most comfortable method for you.

HD? A lot simpler. Shotgun. 20 gauge on up. Loaded with heavy field loads, buckshot, or slugs. Don't matter. Some "Tacti-Cool" interweb operators say the length of the weapon is cumbersome while negotiationg hallways, doorways, etc.  In HD, you're not going to be doing that, if you have a brain in your head. How many SpecOps videos have you seen where the first half dozen guys through the door were holding handguns? You don't turn on any lights. Call 911 if you safely can. Sit tight, wait for him to come to you. If you live in a multi-story, creaking floorboards overhead may well result in a few rounds coming up at you through the floor , especially if he's an over-excited crackhead. 

If things get really personal, a shotgun is a much better club than a handgun. If I'm answering the door at 2AM, there may be a 9mm stuck in my waistband, but that's not what's in my hands.

To paraphrase GeneL (another member here) from several years back....."A sidearms best use is to fight your way to your long gun".

The reason for this overly long post is to point out there's a huge difference between the tools of choice for EDC and HD. If you know zero about either and have no previous experience with firearms....it's a good thing to think about.

Welcome to the board!

Mike

Thanks everyone! :) I would be using it for protection and thought a handgun would be the way to go. I would love to learn how to use a shotgun and get a small collections of guns to experience and own someday. My instructor says I live in a state where if someone were to break in my home, confront me and I shot them, that I would be within the guidelines of the law. I think it's Stand your Ground law. I hope I never encounter anyone threatening me in my home but I want to feel like I can protect myself. It's time for me to learn how to use a handgun. The CWP class would be so I could carry it in my car. 
    Everything my peers have told you here, I agree with. (Though, like GunNut, I'm a bit negative toward a .22 rimfire fired from a handgun length barrel for self defense), and even cast a jaundiced eye at the .380 ACP (though my wife loves hers). But.....here's a question.......

Is your primary purpose EDC (Every Day Carry, meaning on your person at all times), or HD (Home Defense within your own castle walls)? Use of either carry significant legal ramifications, often quite different from the other.  

For some reason, likely my misperception, when I approved your membership this morning ,I thought you inferred HD. Not that it would have made any difference. But on to the tools.

EDC...handgun, period. It's hard to comfortably conceal anything else. Pistol, revolver, style, brand....strictly your choice.(I would,though, tend to steer away from "Basement Bargain" priced handguns if I'm thinking I might have to bet my life on it). If an EDC, it not only has to feel right when holding and firing it, but it MUST be comfortable to carry. Otherwise, chances are high you won't have it when you need it. Depending on how you plan to carry it, it's not a bad idea to budget a couple hundred $ more finding the most comfortable method for you.

HD? A lot simpler. Shotgun. 20 gauge on up. Loaded with heavy field loads, buckshot, or slugs. Don't matter. Some "Tacti-Cool" interweb operators say the length of the weapon is cumbersome while negotiationg hallways, doorways, etc.  In HD, you're not going to be doing that, if you have a brain in your head. How many SpecOps videos have you seen where the first half dozen guys through the door were holding handguns? You don't turn on any lights. Call 911 if you safely can. Sit tight, wait for him to come to you. If you live in a multi-story, creaking floorboards overhead may well result in a few rounds coming up at you through the floor , especially if he's an over-excited crackhead. 

If things get really personal, a shotgun is a much better club than a handgun. If I'm answering the door at 2AM, there may be a 9mm stuck in my waistband, but that's not what's in my hands.

To paraphrase GeneL (another member here) from several years back....."A sidearms best use is to fight your way to your long gun".

The reason for this overly long post is to point out there's a huge difference between the tools of choice for EDC and HD. If you know zero about either and have no previous experience with firearms....it's a good thing to think about.

Welcome to the board!

Mike

Thanks everyone! :) I would be using it for protection and thought a handgun would be the way to go. I would love to learn how to use a shotgun and get a small collections of guns to experience and own someday. My instructor says I live in a state where if someone were to break in my home, confront me and I shot them, that I would be within the guidelines of the law. I think it's Stand your Ground law. I hope I never encounter anyone threatening me in my home but I want to feel like I can protect myself. It's time for me to learn how to use a handgun. The CWP class would be so I could carry it in my car. 
    I need to do the research on SYG in my state as well.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,203 Senior Member
    Twinkle said:

Welcome to the board!

Mike

Actually...you should acquaint yourself with all of your states self defense laws...Stand Your Ground in one thing...it's essentially the right to defend yourself anywhere you have a legal right to be...Then there is Castle Doctrine...the right to defend yourself in your home or on your property...this varys wildly from state to state. But generally, most modern laws remove the "duty to retreat" from the equation...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    Twinkle said:

Welcome to the board!

Mike

Actually...you should acquaint yourself with all of your states self defense laws...Stand Your Ground in one thing...it's essentially the right to defend yourself anywhere you have a legal right to be...Then there is Castle Doctrine...the right to defend yourself in your home or on your property...this varys wildly from state to state. But generally, most modern laws remove the "duty to retreat" from the equation...
    Thanks Jayhawker.  I realize that I misspoke when I said SYG.  I meant Castle doctrine and I do need to learn a lot more about my state's  laws.  I was advised by a friend locally who is a VietNam Vet and a shooter that if I shoot someone outside my house, I'd better drag him inside before I call 911.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,203 Senior Member
    Twinkle said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Twinkle said:

Welcome to the board!

Mike

I was advised by a friend locally who is a VietNam Vet and a shooter that if I shoot someone outside my house, I'd better drag him inside before I call 911.

This BS advise has been around forever and it's the fastest way I know to turn a perfectly legal shooting into a felony that will land you in prison
    .....beware the outhouse lawyer...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,315 Senior Member
    Well...all and good until reality smacks you in the ****....

They're gonna find out PDQ you shot him outside the house. Take that to the bank. A cast in stone given.

Here's an interesting fact.....in most states the following scenario applies. If you and your buddy decide to rob a liquor store, and you are simply the get-away driver.....

But it goes wrong, and the proprieter pops a cap in your buddys forehead and he is DRT. Guess what.....

You, never leaving  the car, gets charged with First Degree Murder. Someone died. Homicide...period. Mr. Store-owner was in the right to defend himself. You, OTOH, participated in causing someones death, regardless of whose it was.

Mr. Store-Owner is a local hero. You, OTOH, will spend the rest of your life regretting the events.

Be careful of who you listen to. Bad advice abounds.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Well...all and good until reality smacks you in the ****....

They're gonna find out PDQ you shot him outside the house. Take that to the bank. A cast in stone given.

Here's an interesting fact.....in most states the following scenario applies. If you and your buddy decide to rob a liquor store, and you are simply the get-away driver.....

But it goes wrong, and the proprieter pops a cap in your buddys forehead and he is DRT. Guess what.....

You, never leaving  the car, gets charged with First Degree Murder. Someone died. Homicide...period. Mr. Store-owner was in the right to defend himself. You, OTOH, participated in causing someones death, regardless of whose it was.

Mr. Store-Owner is a local hero. You, OTOH, will spend the rest of your life regretting the events.

Be careful of who you listen to. Bad advice abounds.

Mike
    Part of the reason I'm here, to learn this stuff.
    Sorry ProtctMyself_NoFear, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,129 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #44
    I think most of the time for most people. The gun is piece of mind. If something happens. I have a chance to defend myself. In the end. The person holding the gun does the defending. The gun is just a tool for that end. Information, and preporation inspire confidence. That confidence was really the goal to begin with.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,202 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #45
    Twinkle said:
    I was advised by a friend locally who is a VietNam Vet and a shooter that if I shoot someone outside my house, I'd better drag him inside before I call 911.
    You don't think the blood trail and drag marks won't be a give-away? 😉
    I'll go ahead and give your Vet friend the benefit of the doubt and say he was just being tongue-in-cheek snarky, because otherwise, he's criminally minded.
    I suspect he developed that warped sense of humor in the military. Many of us brought back colorful ideas from the service. (Things we wish we could do) 😁
    I don't know him so I'll be up to you to decide which one he is.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    Twinkle said:
    I'll go ahead and give your Vet friend the benefit of the doubt and say he was just being tongue-in-cheek snarky, because otherwise, he's criminally minded.
    I suspect he developed that warped sense of humor in the military. Many of us brought back colorful ideas from the service. (Things we wish we could do) 😁

He probably was being sarcastic.  He's a great guy who is very smart and a professional who is well respected in his chosen field locally. 
    Oh, well.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,989 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Twinkle said:

Lots of people say that very same thing but I don't think anyone actually believes it. It's not legal advice.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,707 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #48
    I advice ALL folks that intend to add deadly force to their tool chest to first read all their state statutes concerning use of deadly force and concealed carry.  Second write a list of questions and your personal what ifs, and book an hour with the best local criminal attorney you can find.  

It’s the best money you’ll spend, because if anything happens, you’ll need that guy’s number on speed dial because AFTER something happens is a REALLY BAD time to figure out you have no legal defense plan.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I would listen to GunNut's advice, it's pretty closely related to what he does for a living now.....
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,867 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #50

Welcome to the board!

"Carry it in my car".  I don't want to sound critical but...How will you carry it in your car? Too many guns get stolen from vehicles and in a glove box is a bad place to have it in an emergency, like a car jacking. 

Keep you CCW on your person where you can get it when you need it 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,315 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #51
    ^This. Absolutely.

Anything else is simply a"feel good" state of mind. Either commit to carrying on your person, or not at all. Not even in your purse.

That's why I recommended budgeting a few extra bucks to figure out what carry method is right for you. You may have to dress around the gun a bit, but with proper gun selection and minor wardrobe modifications, it's not difficult or inconvient.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Just move to Texas, not one of our big cities, and enjoy real gun freedom as the constitution meant it to be. Our castle doctrine includes outside the house. If he was in your house and running down the driveway and you nail him with your 9mm its cool. But if you ever move to Texas don't move to Austin. It's Uber Libtard. It's like San Fran south.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.