Home Main Category Clubhouse

Of all the places you've lived, which one do you miss the most...

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
and why.

I lived in southern Colorado for 27 years, so I guess you could say I liked it.  Like Mike has said, it has changed a lot since then, but it's still a beautiful place.  The hunting is at best mediocre, although I've had my good days.  What I really miss, though, is fly fishing the upper Arkansas river.

Even when I was there I remember telling myself how lucky I was to have such a beautiful place to fish so close, and even had days that produced a lot of fish (like 25-30).  I still remember one golden morning during which I had 22 by noon, and knocked off for the rest of the day.  But, for every one of those days, there were more that I was completely skunked.  The river has its way of reminding one why it's called fishing and not catching.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    NAS Whidbey Island WA--------great weather, good fishing and hunting.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    edited August 10 #3
    Liberia, West Africa.  What's not to love about living in the African rainforest?

A close second would be the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri.  All four seasons (but not too much winter) and things to do outside all year around.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,760 Senior Member
    My ranch, of all places, in New York State.  If the state had not turned into such a shithole I’d still be there. I’ll get back to that lifestyle sooner than later but I really wish I could have kept that place.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,823 Senior Member
    I still miss Wisconsin, just the nicest people in the world, and the best bar food!! But winters SUCK!!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Montana
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I've not lived any place that felt truly ideal. 

One thing I found out was true. You really can never go home. Time removes the things of pleasant memory. They're gone.

Right now. I'm so sick of noise, crowds, aggression, crime, danger, and all the rest here. Any place that's just a bit quieter looks good.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,396 Senior Member
    NN said:

With ya, plus access to great skiing. however it has turned into a overrun suburb and WA state a dumpster fire.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    I still miss Wisconsin, just the nicest people in the world, and the best bar food!! But winters SUCK!!
    I'm with Big Al, always said I should have never left Wisconsin, Al forgot to mention the best hunting, and the winters aren't that bad.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 561 Senior Member
    NN said:

With ya, plus access to great skiing. however it has turned into a overrun suburb and WA state a dumpster fire.
    100% agree but I will say the east side of the state is far better than the west side. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Texas Hill Country along the banks of the Guadalupe River.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    I really miss Kansas...the weather there...not so much...I'd just like to be able to go hunting in my back 40 again...If the place had some good trout fishing it would be perfect...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    edited August 10 #13
    I miss California. I miss the scenery, I miss a lot of the people, and I certainly miss the weather. But I sure don't miss the politics, taxes, Liberal insanity, and high cost of living. Much better off in Florida, even if it is rather ugly and HOT!
    Most of all I miss mountains.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Yeah, Wisconsin was a good place to grow up; I left there in 65; but, did visit some in the summer.
    It was always great and the Fri fishfrys were outstanding.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    Can't say that I really miss any of them. I'm pretty much where I wanted to be for 40 + years. I lived in Michigan until I was six so I can't really opine about that except I recall it was very scenic once you cleared Detroit. I lived in Louisiana for 40 years and all I miss about it is the food and the fishing. Haven't been back since I left 16 years ago. I really enjoyed a year in Okinawa but I don't think I want to live there. Nope, I'm pretty content where I'm at even though it's changed a lot.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    Oh give me a home, where the deer and the antelope roam, and the skies are not cloudy all day.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Much better off in Florida, even if it is rather ugly and HOT!
    You forgot to mention the humidity......and have you climbed Mt Dora yet?

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I miss California. I miss the scenery, I miss a lot of the people, and I certainly miss the weather. But I sure don't miss the politics, taxes, Liberal insanity, and high cost of living. Much better off in Florida, even if it is rather ugly and HOT!
    I miss Arizona.
    Northern Arizona, up around Flagstaff is just like California but without all the things you mentioned above.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,329 Senior Member
    Spk said:

I miss Arizona.
    Northern Arizona, up around Flagstaff is just like California but without all the things you mentioned above.
    I lived in Flagstaff for 12 really good years.  Still own a house there.
    Load up some guns on the quad and tool on over to the gravel pit and probably have the place to yourself.
    Unfortunately the town motto is "Poverty with a View"
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    NN said:

Dumpster fire is an apt description.  That's why I want to move back to Western Montana.  Anywhere but Missoula.  Beautiful country and great people.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Twinkle said:
    NN said:

Dumpster fire is an apt description.  That's why I want to move back to Western Montana.  Anywhere but Missoula.  Beautiful country and great people.

The only part of Montana I've seen is the extreme southeast corner.  We were so close to both Wyoming and South Dakota you could throw a rock and darn near hit them.  Some of that country is low hills with lots of sage brush.  A few miles further west and you get into rolling hills that are grassland with pines along ridge tops.

In three days of hunting, we didn't go a single day without seeing both deer and antelope.  Three of us took 5 deer, both mulies and whitetails, in 3 days.  That's a place I would consider going to.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,656 Senior Member
    edited August 15 #22
    Having lived in California most of my life I miss the mountains and the ocean,  just not enough to go back. I really do like ocean fishing, used to go out of LA harbor on the Matt Walsh. Also fished on the Islander the First String and the speed Twin
    Lived in Kansas for a short time and do like that state.
    I enjoy North Dakota and as of now have no plans on leaving. I like that there are a lot of lakes and the only place you have to put up with traffic is in the larger cites.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    Twinkle said:
    NN said:

Has Missoula turned to crap? Have not been there since 82, Had a friend who lived in Victor south on 93 a bit. 
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    I'm pretty happy where I'm at, though I'd like to move to a different, less urban area.

There are things about the places I used to live that I miss, but I have no desire to go back for more than a visit.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,726 Senior Member
    edited August 15 #25
    Evergreen/Conifer Colorado. Spent a few years as a teenager there in the mid '80s. Did a lot of stuff up in those foothills with my friends. Most can't be discussed here though.... B)
  • Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 327 Member
    Jumping Branch, West by God Virginia.  Had nearly 9 acres up on Flat Top Mountain.  In the evenings, when the commercials came on, I'd go out on the back deck and plink with a .45 until the show came back on.  Had Ram Truck rear differential covers that were scrap from a recall tacked up on a couple of trees behind my house that made a satisfying ding.  .45 hardball would make a dent and fall onto the ground at the base of the tree.

Could not see my house from the corner of the property where I had my deer blind set up.  Had this view of the Bluestone River valley from there
     After I got crushed by an F250 coming home from work on my Kawasaki, I ended up back in Michigan.  Love every part of Michigan north of Midland, but I sure do miss my little piece of Almost Heaven.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    Slight derail, but not really. One place I spent a lot of time at and liked a lot more than I expected was Northern Michigan, near Traverse City. If I had to spend a few years there, I probably wouldn't be too upset about it.

With that said, the mountains have infected my blood, and outside of shooting snowboarding has become a huge passion. I don't see myself happy if I'm not within a few hours of good riding.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    I've spent some time in Charlevoix Michigan not real far from Traverse City. Beautiful country. Tough freaking Winters though.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull