Home Main Category Clubhouse

F250 Kayak rack

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,401 Senior Member
edited August 16 in Clubhouse #1
I have had racks for my pickups since 1988. A simple screen over the rear window, and rails down the sides to tie stuff to. The one on the 07 250 was one I rebuilt from a full sized bed off a 95 F150 that was my fathers. I also had a rack that was off my 97 short bed. Well the 250 has a 6'9" short bed that is longer than the 97 short bed. The cab is also higher from the bed than either the 07 250 (had to make it higher to fit the 07) or the short bed 97. So a lot of measure, remeasure, rethink existing racks, 1 trip to the metal shop, some welding rods, 3 cut off wheels, a grinding wheel, paint, 4 kayak racks, some 3/8the rebar, and we have a winner.
I needed to make the rails longer so since I am not a good welder, I cut 2 10" pieces off the 8' rack, closed the ends, and welded them to the bottom of the shortbed rack instead of trying to buttsplice.  I welded 2 pocket feet to the front of 2x1 square tube, then drilled and tapped then for 5/16 so I could bolt it to the bed, then put shorter pocket feet on the rear.
Then I took parts of the 8' rails and made a frame that is the same size as the frame the screen is on. Welded a angle to both sides, gusseted with 3/8 rebar. Drilled a 3/8 hole in it so I can remove it for normal use. Since I had the torch and rebar out, I made 2 tie downs that I welded to the front frame on the top outside.
84.80 got me 4 kayak J bars from amazon. The only thing I had to do was slice a hole in the screen on the left and right side front to slide the bottom of the J bar through.
Took them to the state park this morning. The orange one is 15' and about 57(lb), the yellow is 18' and 68lb. They stayed there at highway speed and through all the turns on the back roads.
The rear part came off and 2 tightners for the front J bars came off quick and all of it is stored with the kayaks. I think I have a winner. A regular rack/screen and a kayak rack.
You need to be about 5' 10" or better to get the boat up there, but it isnt hard. Put the nose in the front J bar with the back on the ground, lift and slide forward, then lift into the rear J bar.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,647 Senior Member
    Very nice mods there.

So, who used the second 'yak? ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,401 Senior Member
    Its the daughters. She went with for the paddle. I havent been out but once this year so we did about an hour and a half on a lake, that was enough.
    That is a good day, I got all the kids on a pontoon this past weekend and did a lap around Pelican lake and we caught a few fish.

Just checking to see if the new wheels and some kayaks meant you were trolling for cougars.... o:)  
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited August 16 #5
    Not yet. Mine moved back in. Separated in the same house. At least she is covering her half of the expenses now. Story for a less happy time. However the counselor said I should join a dating app jut to get introspective on filling out the from about myself and not publish it. She apparently didnt mean Zoosk. In 5 min I was live an nationwide with one hit. Took longer the cancel than to fill out the form. And at my age they would have to be in their 80s to make me one of the young for cougar status.
    Wheels were because of need. It was in the plan, just two years early.

Not yet. Mine moved back in. Separated in the same house. At least she is covering her half of the expenses now. Story for a less happy time. However the counselor said I should join a dating app jut to get introspective on filling out the from about myself and not publish it. She apparently didnt mean Zoosk. In 5 min I was live an nationwide with one hit. Took longer the cancel than to fill out the form. And at my age they would have to be in their 80s to make me one of the young for cougar status.
    Wheels were because of need. It was in the plan, just two years early.

Depends on what her boat looks like......don't be pessimistic, lol. Hope it works out hey. 
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 364 Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Depends on what her boat looks like......

Some say better the devil you know.
    Me, 43 year this month.
    I'm good.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,932 Senior Member
    That will work
    When I had the Silverado I just put then in the bed and left the tailgate down. Couple tie downs and called it good 
    Now have a kayak trailer that works great until you try to back up.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited August 17 #9
    Diver43 said:
    That will work
    When I had the Silverado I just put then in the bed and left the tailgate down. Couple tie downs and called it good 
    Now have a kayak trailer that works great until you try to back up.

18' + rudder out of the back kind of works with a regular bed. You get about 10'. Not so much the shortbed. That and the plan is to haul the camper and kayaks. I can push the boats fwd enough that I can still turn the camper tight.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,932 Senior Member
    Good that you can get them forward enough to haul the camper.
    You kayaks are longer than mine also
    11 and 13 feet
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5