Home Main Category Hunting

Today's sturgeon

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
Did a little fishing on the Columbia River near Kettle Falls, Washington. This 84" ~160lbs fish was caught (and released) using an old Shimano Calcutta with 25# line. The rod is a 10' Fenwick. My biggest freshwater far by far. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,771 Senior Member
    I've never seen one except in pics. You eat the eggs?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,646 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #3
    Nice! We have them here in MI...I foul hooked one while salmon fishing, it was like reeling in a log...got a glimpse before he broke off...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,501 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #4
    160 on 25???? Wow!!!!

That's skill to the max.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,844 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #5
    Wow!

Two threads of, I’m not worthy!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,352 Senior Member
    Nice!  No, Great!
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,474 Senior Member
    Dang, a good day hey, can argue with the wife you need a bigger boat now :)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #8
    160 on 25???? Wow!!!!

That's skill to the max.

Mike
    Thanks. I'm sore all over today. Took about an hour to land. We pulled anchor and let him drag the boat. There's some videos but too many swear words. 

Weight estimate found here:
    https://www.riverfishingbc.com/WhiteStrugeonWeightandAgeChart.pdf

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

A few years back I read an article about a guy who's specialty was big fish on really light line. He already held a few world records. This day he set the hook in a humongious tarpon (I don't recall the weight, but it was way up there) on 4 lb test.

He was fishing from a kayak and at one time considered letting the fish break off since it had drug him so far out he hadn't seen the shoreline for 3 hours. Took him 14 hours to finally land the fish. Said after it was over, it was the 3rd day before he could get out of bed.

I've never been that fish hungry......LOL.

Mike

N454casull
    BTW.....love the pic of the rod bend.....that's epic!!!

Mike
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Well done.  That is one huge fish.

The closest I've come to such a feat was pulling in an 18 lb. Jack Fish on 14 lb. line.  I can still hear the drag on that reel screaming.  It took an hour and 45 minutes to land, and my arms were tied up in knots when it was over.  The worst part of the whole ordeal is that we were hauling in gaff top catfish at the time and everyone quit fishing.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    When I was ~ 9 YO I was crappie fishing and an accidently caught 4 lb jackfish slashed my wrist so bad I was close to an ER emergency. Toothy bastages......

FWIW, I haven't done much saltwater fishing, but it seemed to me gaff tops were mostly considered a "trash fish" and no one specifically fished for them. ???

Mike
    N454casull
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,881 Senior Member
    Impressive!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    When I was ~ 9 YO I was crappie fishing and an accidently caught 4 lb jackfish slashed my wrist so bad I was close to an ER emergency. Toothy bastages......

FWIW, I haven't done much saltwater fishing, but it seemed to me gaff tops were mostly considered a "trash fish" and no one specifically fished for them. ???

Mike
    Gafftop are good if you can get passed the slime.

My youngest on the Gulf coast a few years ago.

Adam J. McCleod

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member

He was fishing from a kayak and at one time considered letting the fish break off since it had drug him so far out he hadn't seen the shoreline for 3 hours.
    There is zero chance I will fish from a kayak in water where I could potentially hook something bigger than the kayak I was on.  And then have it drag me out to sea out of sight of shore?  Nope.

Hey, Jerry.....maybe I misunderstood. When you said jack fish, I assumed freshwater, similar to a Pike. If saltwater, possibly a Jack Cravelle? The saltwater guide I fished with a couple times told me if I hooked one, he was going to cut the line.....long fight, not worth eating, and disrupts the "real" fishing.

Mike
    N454casull
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,249 Senior Member
    Awesome caliFFL. A catch like that on 25# shows impressive skill and an angler who knows how to use his gear.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

He was fishing from a kayak and at one time considered letting the fish break off since it had drug him so far out he hadn't seen the shoreline for 3 hours.
    There is zero chance I will fish from a kayak in water where I could potentially hook something bigger than the kayak I was on.  And then have it drag me out to sea out of sight of shore?  Nope.

Could be why he has more than a couple world records under his belt. Willing to do what no sane person would even consider.

Mike
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Mike, we called them Jack Fish, but probably the correct name is Jack Crevalle.  We were fishing in salt water, and try as I could, I could not eat the damn thing.  They're usually used as shark bait.

As for gaff top sail catfish, they're damn fine eating.  Maybe you're confusing them with hard head catfish, which aren't worth the trouble.  I totally agree about how slimy they are, though.

My apologies for side tracking your thread, Califfl.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,966 Senior Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,708 Senior Member
    Congratulations on an awesome fish.
    When stationed in Washington I caught a few, but none near as large as yours.  Well done
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 647 Senior Member
    That’s a good one! Spent many a morning on the Columbia cashing a 10+ foot one. Best I ever did was just under 9ft. Hooking into the big ones is like tying your line to a tractor and putting it in low gear and letting it idle away. They truly are and amazing fish. 
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member

Could be why he has more than a couple world records under his belt. Willing to do what no sane person would even consider.

Mike

Yeah, whatever floats his boat (or kayak).  To me, no world record is worth having my name changed to "Shark Bait".  But some people live for that kind of adrenaline rush.  Heck, I have even heard that some people jump out of perfectly good airplanes just for fun.  :D
    I bungee jumped once. Although my mind knew it was perfectly safe, my body didn't. The jump went fine, but 2 minutes later I  just wanted to puke. To hell with an adreniline rush....I'd rather shoot heroin.

Mike
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,258 Senior Member
    That's IMPRESSIVE
    My best fish/line rating is a near 29# (28lbs 10oz) salt water stripe on 17 pound line in swift water below a hydro-electric dam. I felt like I'd taken too many body blows from a boxer the following day.
    I can't imagine tying into one of those
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    That's a dandy, for sure.  I've never even come close to something that big in fresh water.  Very nice job.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Huge fish, and on light tackle, too! Good job hauling that hawg in! Sturgeon are being stocked in the TN River again. Used to have lots of them in the river a hundred years ago but they were mostly caught out. Still some native sturgeon, but they are pretty rare. Still have  some big paddlefish in the river, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams