Home Main Category Hunting

190gr SubX bullets at supersonic velocities for hunting??

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,388 Senior Member
Hornady designed their 30cal, 190gr SubX bullet to expand at 1050fps muzzle velocity.

I've seen quite a few gel tests with the subsonic loading, and while they do expand, it's not terribly impressive.

As we all know, velocity is a MAJOR player in expansion, along with bullet construction.  Not much I can do about a given bullet's construction, but I CAN change its velocity. Hence this question.

Through quickload, and published data for other 190gr bullets, 13.0gr of my preferred BO powder (Not going to list it until after I know the load works) SHOULD launch them from my 16" hunting carbine in the neighborhood of 1500fps

I should be roughly 50% faster than the factory loads with this bullet

The state extended the predation permits for hogs for an additional 2 months, so IF they function and are accurate enough, there's a good chance one or 2 might find its way into a hog, that I don't mind losing, since I won't eat them and am just trying to reduce their numbers. If they work well on them, then I'll try them on deer later this fall.

Thoughts about using it for hogs and possibly deer? 
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,388 Senior Member
    Here's Hornady's video with gel test of the bullets

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,505 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #3
    knitepoet said:

Thoughts about using it for hogs and possibly deer? 
    Good luck.👍🏻👍🏻

The bar is not high. Your reputation precedes. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,004 Senior Member
    Other than for giggles I have to ask why? The bullets is designed for sub sonic performance why push it super sonic when there are other options available?
    I don't begrudge anyone their science experiment but I do sometimes scratch my head as to the why of it.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,877 Senior Member
    I don't think a lot of expansion will be needed for that bullet to be effective.

Speed kills. Some situations may find that load and some subsonic loads lacking. Even with good bullets designed for slow speed.
    Sako, the main reason is simple curiosity, plus I picked up a couple of hundred of the bullets at a good price.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,064 Senior Member
    Do you have any water jugs?
    The first gel penetration scene seems to show little expansion (maybe it was at 900 f/s???). The second gel scene with an exit showed better results (maybe that was the 1050 f/s shot???)

Best way to know more is line up some water jugs. My concern at 1500 f/s is how well the bullet holds up. Find that out by testing...
    Or use those nuisance piggies as part of your science experiment before you use them on deer. 😁
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,249 Senior Member
    Why the heck not? Just a guess on my part, but a 190 grain soap bubble at 1500 fps will get "noticed".
    Heavy and slow did millions of buffalo for years. In fact, you may have stumbled upon the fix to the early NBT's (since corrected) penchant to self destruct on contact at close range.

And while all lives matter.....it's just a feral pig.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Why the heck not? Just a guess on my part, but a 190 grain soap bubble at 1500 fps will get "noticed".
    Heavy and slow did millions of buffalo for years. In fact, you may have stumbled upon the fix to the early NBT's (since corrected) penchant to self destruct on contact at close range.

And while all lives matter.....it's just a feral pig.

Mike
    Yep, and coyotes, possums, buzzards and insects need to eat too  >:)

Got around to chronographing a couple of them today, my load produces 1628fps. Currently on hold with Hornady to see what they say about pushing the bullet at that speed.

They've only tested them up to around 1400fps and said penetration starts dropping off at that speed. Considering the bullet was designed around the FBI specs, I'm okay with that.

As Zee has shown with Amaxes, rapid expansion at the expense of a little penetration isn't necessarily a bad thing

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,877 Senior Member
    I bet theres enough weight to get it done after impact.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,249 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    They've only tested them up to around 1400fps and said penetration starts dropping off at that speed. Considering the bullet was designed around the FBI specs, I'm okay with that.

As Zee has shown with Amaxes, rapid expansion at the expense of a little penetration isn't necessarily a bad thing
    IME, I've found the following to be true of "rapidly expanding bullets".

Up close against the "normal" North American big game....they still have enough mass to penetrate "far enough", yet provide enough smack to anchor stuff dead right there. No complaints.

At long range, (quarter mile or so) they shine...."conventional" bullet close range expansion and complete pass through when a tougher projectile would normally not expand much more than caliber. At 400 yards you'll usually get a 1" or greater exit wound.

The debate about expansion vs. penetration is timeless and endless. While I have no scientific data to back up my preference.....I'll take something that violently expands almost every time.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,505 Senior Member
    I agree. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith