Home Main Category Hunting

Firearms season deer opener

Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors MemberPosts: 323 Member
Here in coastal SC- our gun season for Whitetails opens August 15th- as usual it was high 90"s with 90% humidity and yesterday was also beset with thunderstorms all day- finally got a weather break in the evening and the wind was right to sit a new ground blind and feeder I set up 2 months ago.
The blind is set up 60 yards from a trail running through thick overgrowth surrounding a firebreak.

Storms stopped at 5:30 pm and radar showed a couple hour break, got in the blind at 6:15- at 6:50 I heard the first shot- good- deer are moving, thunder was rolling steady all around. At 6:52 the first does and fawns showed up, they were joined by more at 7:20- now I have 9 deer feeding 60 yards away, my trail camera has shown 5 different bucks using this feeder and 2 are good shooters- they typically show just at dark around 8:30.

A few deer wander off, more arrive- still no bucks, time is getting close..8:15 the bottom dropped out of the sky and never quit.

I always consider it a successful hunt if I have an opportunity to shoot a deer even if I don't pull the trigger.
 I think that stand will produce well over the season and it's in range for my M1 carbine when doe season opens September 15. A good first sit in a little corner of my property that I have never hunted.
Our season runs through Jan 1st with a 13 deer limit.

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,394 Senior Member
    I can't imagine hunting deer in 90 degree temps.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,505 Senior Member

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,383 Senior Member
    WUFF!

I quit archery mainly because I just couldn't make the system work well enough for me to feel like I could kill with confidence, but the fact that it's still SUMMER during archery season around here was a factor as well.  You're a brave man.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,807 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    I can't imagine hunting deer in 90 degree temps.
    Yeah, I agree--------dove hunting was bad enough, however.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,877 Senior Member
    At least dawn and dusk are out of direct sun light.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,298 Senior Member
    Glad your stand seemed to be working!  I can’t get myself motivated to hunt in temps over 65, but I get it.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    High heat and bugs is definitely testing, but missing an opener is not an option.  Great that you made it out, even if the deer were a no-show.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 323 Member
    Plenty of deer, just no bucks. The bucks are in full velvet the first week or 2- then start rubbing it off. Our weather in coastal SC can be challenging, sometimes we are in insulated coveralls, 2 days later shorts and tee shirts even at Christmas- usually have to cut grass until Thanksgiving and start again in March
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,085 Senior Member
    In KS, archery season opens in September...stupid hot...we'd butcher them in the field and toss them in a cooler...and leave the leftovers for coyote bait...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    I remember more than one Louisiana December evening deer hunt soaked in sweat swatting mosquitoes. Don't miss it.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull