Home Main Category Clubhouse

Best accessory for the tractor yet...

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,068 Senior Member
I had never heard of a quick hitch until a video I was watching on youtube last week mentioned them. 
Being the neophite tractor owner that I am, I looked them up and decided then and there that I needed one on the back of my tractor.

So far, it had been averaging 15-30 minutes to unhook one attachment then 30-45 minutes to get the next one hooked up. Picked up my quick hitch Wed. Installed it on the back of the tractor yesterday (10-15 minutes) then, in less than 10 minutes, hooked to the brush hog, moved it, dropped it off, backed up to the tiller, moved it and was free from it. 

Now, since I was just moving them, I didn't bother hooking up the PTO shafts, but getting attached too and free from an implement is a SNAP. 
Of course you need new enough implements for them to be built to the quick hitch "standard", but mine are.  I will have to move the top hook up 2 holes for the spreader, but that's not a big deal.

I bought a SpeeCo quick hitch. If you HATE connecting and disconnecting things from a 3 point hitch as bad as I do, they are WELL worth the money.
I know there are some cheaper ones out there, but some of them need some modifications to work properly.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    I have never had one but I bought a rear blade at an auction and you had to use a quick hitch. At another auction I picked up one but had never used it. My new to me swather has a 2 pt. hookup so I thought I would put it on. That is when I learned of a new category, 3n, which is what the swather is but my hitch is a 3. They cost more than I am willing to spend and it is actually been pretty easy to hook up. So I am jealous.   
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,068 Senior Member
    You probably have a "real" tractor, as opposed to my 26HP "hobby" one
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    I don't know what you paid for yours but you can get a quick hitch at Rural King for $99.  Definitely well worth the money.
    Mine cost more than that, but I figure the $99 from RK is probably made in the same chinese factory as the $99 Harbor Freight ones, and they have a few issues.

There are a lot of videos about fixing/modding the HF ones to make them work better

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    From what I understand the standardization of size is not quite standard from brand to brand, which causes some minor issues.  Apparently the width is not quite the same on the connections....close, but not quite the same.  I figure if I get the tractor, quick connect and implements all from the same source I should be good to go.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    Would love to have one for my 8N but I'm not spending the $.

Rarely do I use 2 implements in 1 day, though. 
    Well, they way I use mine for my green fields, It's, possibly cut first, if needed, then spread the fertilizer/lime, then till and finally spread the seed.

So I'm looking at a bunch of implement changes and the time saved will make it a LOT easier to get all my fields done in a day

• Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    My wife( farmers daughter) saw the fight to connect the pto shaft on tractors for years, recently they came out with a pto quick connect and she bought me one for Christmas. I leave the tractor side mounted all the time and move the attachment piece from implement to implement as needed- I can literally connect or disconnect the pto without struggle/ cleaning/ greasing in less than 1 minute. 
    One of those item that is WORTH EVERY PENNY.
     My FIL had retired from farming at 75- and he was amazed by it first time he watched me hook up with it.
    My tractor is 63 HP and I think they are good up to 75 hp.