Home Main Category Clubhouse

Worst job ever.

2»

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    edited August 19 #32
    You would be amazed. I worked for the phone co in installation and repair for 14 years. Again, not as bad as in an office, but crawlspaces with dead animal carcasses, carpet that squished with cat pee, turds, stank. I worked last winter in I&R for the extra OT. I walked into a house, made it about 3 feet in, turds on the kitchen counter and stank, turned around, got out of the door before the dry heaves hit, tied a jack to 30 feet of wire, connected the other end and handed it to one of the people who lived there. Oh, and it doesnt have to be a "hood" house. Dog crap covered basements in high end houses with the owner having MD at the end of the name.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    You would be amazed. I worked for the phone co in installation and repair for 14 years. Again, not as bad as in an office, but crawlspaces with dead animal carcasses, carpet that squished with cat pee, turds, stank. I worked last winter in I&R for the extra OT. I walked into a house, made it about 3 feet in, turds on the kitchen counter and stank, turned around, got out of the door before the dry heaves hit, tied a jack to 30 feet of wire, connected the other end and handed it to one of the people who lived there. Oh, and it doesnt have to be a "hood" house. Dog crap covered basements in high end houses with the owner having MD at the end of the name.
    YIKES!

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    None of my jobs compare to what a few of you have done!  Dang, some of those have made my pucker factor hit 9.9 on a 10 scale.

When I graduated HS, my folks didn't have the money to send me to college and I wasn't mature enough at 18 to go and not waste my own money.  My pop worked for AT&T and got me a job as a Dial 0 operator.  Only place to start out of HS.  The job sucked with a capital "S" but it taught me a lot of discipline and consequences for screwing up.  I was able to get promoted to a telephone tech after 14 months.  Being the new tech, I got all the glamorous jobs.  The job I hated worst than anything was getting a disconnect orders in the hood.  This was back when people rented their phones from AT&T and we had to go and remove them.  You'd have thought AT&T would have been happy with just pulling the dial tone, nope they wanted the phones too. 

You always feared for your life and when threatened we just turned around and left.  If didn't make much difference, the phones we pulled were normally filled with cock roaches and we just tossed them in the nearest dumpster.  Those two jobs taught me one thing.  This is not what I wanted to do the rest of my life and if I wanted to move up and I needed to go to college and that fall I was off to College Station!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,730 Senior Member
    edited August 19 #35
    I used to detail trade in semi-trucks at a Kenworth dealer. The amount of filth can not be portrayed with words on the internet! Polishing the aluminum was probably the most sanitary. If you have polished aluminum you know how bad it can be. Most of the interiors involved unspeakable horrors.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,989 Senior Member
    edited August 21 #36
    The worst job I ever had was what most would call normal. I was moving furniture and pianos in my late teens when a furniture company offered me a job as a salesman. Promised more pay and better hours than my moving job. 
    I lasted 6 months. Worst job I ever had. 9-5 wearing slacks and ties. Being nice to people and smiling. Selling crap I didn’t care about. 
    In other jobs I’ve starved, sweated in 130 deg temps, frozen in others. Bleeding, broken bones, lost teeth and body parts.......shot at, blown up, away from home, destroyed joints, rebuilt them........slept next to decaying bodies.....carried some, made others.....and the worst job in my life was a sales job. 

Never again. I know my place in the world. 😎
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    ...wearing slacks and ties..
    Ugh!

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    The worst job I ever had was what most would call normal. I was moving furniture and pianos in my late teens when a furniture company offered me a job as a salesman. Promised more pay and better hours than my moving job. 
    I lasted 6 months. Worst job I ever had. 9-5 wearing slacks and ties. Being nice to people and smiling. Selling crap I didn’t care about. 
    In other jobs I’ve starved, sweated in 130 deg temps, frozen in others. Bleeding, broken bones, lost teeth and body parts.......shot at, blown up, away from home, destroyed joints, rebuilt them........slept next to decaying bodies.....carried some, made others.....and the worst job in my life was a sales job. 

I did that job for exactly one year for North American Van Lines.  Estimates and Sales.  I sucked at it.
    I was/am a great estimator and not a bad sales guy, I just did not lie about the price or low ball it.  Lost way too many sales because of being honest.

Did some of that other job for a couple years (20)  Wish i wasn't to old to do it again
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    Zee said:

So, you like selling shoes?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:

So, you like selling shoes?

Naaa, he just likes feet  ;):D:p
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    In the Men's dept. or Women's? Asking for a friend.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,989 Senior Member

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,921 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Bad job, I guess not since---------every day was a holiday and every meal a feast!
    Every paycheck a fortune...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,921 Senior Member
    Yeah Knite...most anyone in EMS during the bad old days has seen (and smelled) some grotesque stuff...especially when ambulance companies supplemented their income by doing body removals. 
    Suicides, murders, car wrecks...not to mention the folks who died forgotten and unnoticed....the ones where you have to borrow a Scott Pack from the FD to deal with...
    ..I've seen folks who were being fed on by their pets...
    I will mention the most considerate suicide I've seen...the guy covered the walls, floors, and ceiling, as well as the sink and toilet with Visquene before eating a 12 gauge... 
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 543 Senior Member
    Years ago I had a boss that was a wrecker driver. He once told me a very descriptive story about being called to a parking lot. A guy sat in the front seat with a shotgun, put it to his head and pulled (pushed?) the trigger. My boss had to haul it to the coroner's office. He said it was quite a sight just working the controls and dragging the car up the wrecker. Id imagine anything involving death and/or bodily fluids will always top the cake as "most disgusting".
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
    edited August 28 #48
    I worked on large cargo planes in the AF.  While it does not sound bad, it can be a pretty messy affair.  First, any kind of weather.  You could be drenched to the bone in 40 degrees for as long as 18 hours a day.  Or in 100 degree heat or -10 in a snowstorm.  Next the fluids.  There were days you would be covered in engine oil, hydraulic fluid, fuel or grease and had no way to get cleaned off.  If you had to fill the liquid oxygen tanks, you had had to have long sleeves, a big thick rubber apron, a face shield and asbestos gloves.  Didn't matter how hot it was.  Luckily, most of the fittings leaked enough you could stand in a pool of cool evaporating O2.  The worst day I had was having to drive this little tractor around delivering maintenance stands and cases of oil and stuff.  It was over 100 degrees out and the heater was stuck on full blast.  Pretty much was ordered to continue on all day and just suck it up.  But all in all I enjoyed the experience but decided I wanted an indoor job and have been ever since.