Home Main Category General Firearms

Beat up rusty guns

2»

Replies

• Sporty726Sporty726 Posts: 27 New Member
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    That is nice work. I hope you find some more to restore.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,791 Senior Member
    Just out of curiosity, what type of finish did you use?? On both wood and metal!! Don't worry, I can keep a secret!!  B)
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,504 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Just out of curiosity, what type of finish did you use?? On both wood and metal!! Don't worry, I can keep a secret!!  B)
    The wood looks really good but he needs a primer on the Big Al1 way of finishing wood stocks.  The finish could be a little smoother with no traces of open pores but really I'm just nitpicking.  It looks GREAT!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,768 Senior Member
    Nice work
    I did the same with my Late FIL's guns
    Yours looks better than a couple of them I worked on
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,743 Senior Member
    We're waiting to hear abut the finishes! That's some nice work.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    It is addictive. I hope have some more to work on soon. 
    It is addictive,  I hope I can find something good to keep me going. Thanks for all the compliments on my 32 special project.  I enjoyed doing it and my dad is happy that after close to 40 years his gun looks right again. 
    edited July 10 #40
    The finishes,  the wood I rubbed out with Formbys then sprayed with semi gloss laquer.  This kept the original color.  The metal was just perma blue. I used liquid form 3 times then cream 3 times and then sprayed barricade and let set overnight 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,665 Senior Member
    Good!  What did you do to remove/fill the pits?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Lots of filing and sanding. Had to be very careful to keep the profile and all the edges looking proper. Was a lot of work but worth it to have it look right.
    Well worth the time. Ive seen the old 94's and the roll pin one's close up. Those old rifles were assembled with great care.
    This is the other gun I did, it's not a proper refinish because it should have been nickle plated but it doesn't have much monetary value and I wanted to see it blued. It was my first one I did. It a Forehand Arms Company .38 S&W
    edited July 12 #45
    That turned out nice, too. Does it shoot or just for lookin' at??  B) Here's a pair you could practice on, one of them even works!!

Looks great blue!
    I haven't shot it yet but it should,  I need to get ammo for it
    Never heard of Forehand Arms before.  Looks like a clone of one of my Smiths!

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Forehand was an OLD revolver maker.  Sometimes paired up with Wadsworth to make inexpensive revolvers.
    You learn something new every day!!’

edited July 13 #51
    A lot of BP Forehand & Wadson revolvers, like many, maybe most BP revolvers, were NICKEL (note spelling, OP) but blue ones are rarer and don't flake off.  I recently sold a NICKEL I frame S&W .32 that was near perfect...looked good on that little gun, but most lose some finish and look freckled.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    A lot of BP Forehand & Wadson revolvers, like many, maybe most BP revolvers, were NICKEL (note spelling, OP) but blue ones are rarer and don't flake off.  I recently sold a NICKEL I frame S&W .32 that was near perfect...looked good on that little gun, but most lose some finish and look freckled.
    Give it a rest, Gene.  They guy is able to do something you probably can't imagine doing, and you pick on him over a misspelled word?

That's damn good work, Sporty.  Well done!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,743 Senior Member
    This post makes me wish I had done something I had done with some of the Lemon squeezers and H&Rs I found!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    Gene L said:
    Give it a rest, Gene.  They guy is able to do something you probably can't imagine doing, and you pick on him over a misspelled word?

That's damn good work, Sporty.  Well done!
    Excellent work.  I don't pretend to be able to finish a rusty gun, but I don't want for him to misspell a word important to his trade/hobby.  My life as an editor prevents that; it's not a condemnation of him, it's just a common misspelling he's probably unaware of and unintentional that takes a second to correct.
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments on my work!!!
    Just finished my dad's mossberg yy
    edited August 5 #57
    Those old Mossies are GREAT .22's!! I have about five different models, including that one, and they are all fantastic shooters!! Better than anything you can buy new!!

Another great job!!
    Nice! I have a 352kb Mossberg. They are very nice rifles.
    Thanks guys, I love that old .22. It was my grandpa's and now my dad's.  That was always the gun you wanted to use when going hunting as a kid. 
    This is an excellent video for anyone interested in conserving rusty old guns.