Home Main Category Clubhouse

KEN ONION / WORK SHARP

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,981 Senior Member
I have the K.O. sharpener, I know a lot of you have them, I found 1/2" X 12" belts on Amazon 24 for $ 11.79 , 4 ea. 5 different grits,  much cheaper than the K.O. belts. Has anyone tried them? if so opinions.

JAY

THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,739 Senior Member
    I have tried a few different brands with good results but I don’t remember what the brands were.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,014 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #3
    They don't seem to wear out all that quickly.  Two dozen?  Long term replacement.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,222 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #4
    I wonder if that thing would work on my two-handed great sword.....using a stone is downright tedious
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    I wonder if that thing would work on my two-handed great sword.....using a stone is downright tedious
    Probably not , for axes, machetes, anything big i have a 1" vertical belt sander and a 4" horizontal belt sander, I take some well used 220 grit belt charge them  with  white, green or black buffing/polishing compound, refinishes the edge and will sharpen it like a razor.

JAY
    Jayhawker said:
    I have used mine on machetes and it works well.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,572 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    I have used mine on machetes and it works well.
    Likewise
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,222 Senior Member
    Will the fact that it has a four foot blade enter into it?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    Your biggest issue will be handling the machine in one hand and the sword with the other but I think there would be ways.

Work Sharp WSSAKO81112 Blade Grinder Attachment https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J9AADN6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NIlvFbZHQCWJB

Work Sharp blade grinder attachment.  Looks like this would do the trick.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,326 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Your biggest issue will be handling the machine in one hand and the sword with the other but I think there would be ways.
    I solved that problem within 20 minutes of getting my KO.

THE KO has threaded inserts in the bottom that allow you to bolt it to your work surface. (Requires 2 drilled holes in your table-top). I also drilled 2 clearance holes in a large cookie sheet and mounted both onto my bench. The cookie sheet catches the shavings, and it's easy enough to remove and clean when necessary.

Since the KO edition has, for lack of a better term, a trigger lock, you can set it to your desired speed and handle your blade with both hands.

Granted, the longest blade I've done is a 14" Mercer carver, but this system works great on that.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    I solved that problem within 20 minutes of getting my KO.

THE KO has threaded inserts in the bottom that allow you to bolt it to your work surface. (Requires 2 drilled holes in your table-top). I also drilled 2 clearance holes in a large cookie sheet and mounted both onto my bench. The cookie sheet catches the shavings, and it's easy enough to remove and clean when necessary.

Since the KO edition has, for lack of a better term, a trigger lock, you can set it to your desired speed and handle your blade with both hands.

Granted, the longest blade I've done is a 14" Mercer carver, but this system works great on that.

Mike
    Brilliant!

I guess I'm lazy at heart. Truth is, while this setup is easy enough to remove for cleaning, I never have. I simply shop-vac the cookie sheet and unit while still attached to the table.

Disclaimer....in some alternate universe this might be considered a shock/fire hazard, but I shop-vac pounds of dry steel chips a day. The only discomfort I've experienced is lifting the damn thing high enough to hang over the edge of the dumpster. YMMV.

Mike
    N454casull
    Speaking of shop vacs, I've always had a full sized Rigid that works great on stuff that requires a shop-vac. But I recently purchased a much smaller Black & Decker, mostly for vacuuming ashes out of the Traeger. Turns out, it's really handy for most of the stuff that you don't really want to drag around the full sized shop vac for. Great $40 investment, and will see a lot more use than the full sized shop vac.

Mike
    N454casull

THE KO has threaded inserts in the bottom that allow you to bolt it to your work surface. 

Mike
     Mike , mine has NO threaded inserts, I removed the 4 plastic caps on the base and i know its says for 1/4" x 20 bolts , I might have to install some myself.

JAY
    edited September 2020 #16
    Mine had 'em. Brass.....

Yours might have slipped past QC. 

Mike
    N454casull
    Mine had 'em. Brass.....

Yours might have slipped past QC. 

Mike
    Sent an E mail to worksharp let ya know what they say,  how many inserts are there and whats there location ??

JAY
    Got an answer this morning they informed me that mine doesnt have inserts but does have 2 half moon cutouts for a countersunk screw, there is no way they will hold the tool down, (i tried)   

I will just build adjustable " V " blocks to mount it.

JAY
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,113 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
    Got an answer this morning they informed me that mine doesnt have inserts but does have 2 half moon cutouts for a countersunk screw, there is no way they will hold the tool down, (i tried)   

I will just build adjustable " V " blocks to mount it.

JAY
    That's what your wife is for!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."