Home Main Category Clubhouse

Help with weed ID...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,519 Senior Member
Anybody know what this spiny little weed is? I've got a ton of them in my yard and I think they're what makes my skin itch...

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,502 Senior Member
    Panama City Red! 😎
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,519 Senior Member
    FUN-NEY GUY! :D

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,791 Senior Member
    Looks like nutsedge. Very hard to get rid of without killing everything else, too. There are weed killers for it, though.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,973 Senior Member
    edited September 6 #6
    Big Al1 said:
    Looks like nutsedge. Very hard to get rid of without killing everything else, too. There are weed killers for it, though.
    Yeah, that ^^^

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Twinkle said:
    I think Twinkle got it this time, definitely NOT Nutsedge from the pix I saw online...

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,665 Senior Member
    edited September 6 #8
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,652 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Anybody know what this spiny little weed is? I've got a ton of them in my yard and I think they're what makes my skin itch...

It's all over Florida. My lawn is full of this nuisance. Annoying when you get them on your socks or in your shoe.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 218 Member
    Tribulus terrestris, puncture vine, or goats head. The dreaded bane of bicyclists the world over. Lord help you if stepped on with bare feet. I'd much rather have an infestation of what you have.
    NN said:
    Apparently, this thing has several different names. In any event, I'm having an allergic reaction deluxe to it.

• TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    edited September 6 #12
    zorba said:
    NN said:
    Apparently, this thing has several different names. In any event, I'm having an allergic reaction deluxe to it.
    Ouch!  Sorry to hear it!  About the closest we get to this in the Pacific NW is cleavers, which produce a bur about the size of a BB.  I get really itchy if I pull the plants barehanded, and it's a pain to pull the burs out of my dog's coat.  At least cleavers have medicinal value.
    Edit:  OOPS!  I spoke too soon.  If indeed it is nutgrass or nutsedge, it does have medicinal qualities and parts are edible.  Go figure.
    Sand bur, on the other hand, is nothing but a weed, as far as I can see.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,861 Senior Member
    Goatheads...the reason every farm kid in Kansas learned to wear shoes....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,823 Senior Member
    That doesn’t look like goatheads to me. At least not the kind we have here. Looks like what we call sand burs. Goatheads grow pretty flat against the ground, have yellow flowers and are not grass-like. 
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,823 Senior Member
    Unfortunately I’ve been battling goatheads here at my place. I hate those things. Never had them here before. Once they get started, the spread everywhere. I’ve allowed people to store trailers here. I think they came in on trailer tires. And I got some dump truck loads of sand brought in that was full of goathead stickers, which then start growing every time it rains. I try to catch them early, before they grow seeds, and spray them. If I miss some and they go too far, I use the weed burner to burn them out. Kill the seeds. In a lawn, the best way I know is to pull them. 

For burs, yard weed spray should take care of them. But it’ll take regular spraying, trying to catch them before they have a chance to grow burrs, which are the seeds. 
    edited September 6 #16
    Jay said:
    That doesn’t look like goatheads to me. At least not the kind we have here. Looks like what we call sand burs. Goatheads grow pretty flat against the ground, have yellow flowers and are not grass-like. 
    Yea, they're definitely sand burs - they're kind of pretty, but they grow like weeds! Wait a minute...

edited September 6 #17
    Jay said:
    For burs, yard weed spray should take care of them. But it’ll take regular spraying, trying to catch them before they have a chance to grow burrs, which are the seeds. 
    So I've been reading. Their instance has gone down slightly, but noticeably from regular mowing/bagging. The burrs don't have time to mature.
    But I made the mistake of laying on the lawn a few days ago working on the Jeep. Bad idea...

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,073 Senior Member
    We have grassburrs in central TX that are pretty damn similar.  While weed killer will get the plants, the burs that have dropped already will grow next year.  What we had to do in our yard as kids was spray weed killer, then drag old towels through the yard to pick up the burrs.

then burn the towels.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,681 Senior Member
    It's not Indica or Sativa, but I say try it anyway.
    edited September 6 #20

edited September 6 #21
    The above pic and this one is a type of nut grass---- check the stem if it is triangular it is nut grass. Note you may have to use a magnifying glass to see the triangle shape of the stem. The base of the plant forms a hard nut like base that the roots come off and a nut or many nuts can form on the root structure and sprout more nut grass.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,345 Senior Member
    Nuke it from orbit. Wait 2.5 million years and replant the yard.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    Nuke it from orbit. Wait 2.5 million years and replant the yard.
    Works for me!

• RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 218 Member
    Jay said:

Sorry, that was a thread drift. My mini rant.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,791 Senior Member
    You've only lived in Florida a few years so you may not have figured out yet, you can grow anything you want except for a nice lawn or garden!! The weeds, palmettos, Kudzu and other various noxious plants. Not to mention the oak trees and Magnolia that block all the sunlight! I struggled for over twenty years to get a good lawn. After Michael wiped out all the trees and tore up my yard, I had to put in a new irrigation system and re-sod the whole yard, $18000 insurance didn't cover! So Mike's cure for the weeds is just about 100% correct!!  B)
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,502 Senior Member
    I hired a pro.  He used to manage Golf courses and his actual degree is in grass growing.  This is all he does.

He’s on a yearly contract and he comes 6 times a year and spot treats for specific weeds, fungus or any other localized issue he might see before it becomes a lawn problem with specialty chemicals based on season and wherever is going on.  Then he does a general weed and fertilizer treatment and might even re-seed and aerate some areas.  He then reprograms my irrigation for the upcoming two months which is a must so you get proper water on wet and dry seasons.  He is cheaper than buying all the equipment and chemicals to do it myself.  My lawn is weedless and nicer that the golf course, people actually knock on my door just to ask who does my lawn.

When I moved into my house the previous owner was trying to DIY and the lawn was so bad I thought I was going to have to go Al’s route at about that same cost.  This guy came highly recommended and he said give me one summer.  Beat decision I made.

With what he saved me from not having to re-sod the place I can pay him for the next 25 years and still be ahead.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

What I know about weed control I learned from  farming. Rule #1: If you have a creek running through your farm, it overflows seasonally, and your neighbors upstream don't treat for weeds, then you will AWAYS have a weed problem. Weed seeds float downstream in the floods and set up housekeeping. 
    #2. With airborne seeds, wind will blow weed seeds to your property. That goes for city folk, too. Dandelions and Canadian Thistle come to mind, as do other airborne seeds. 
    #3 Birds are prodigious propagators of seeds and encapsulate them in high grade fertilizer to ensure their growth.. 
    End result; no matter what you do you're going to have a weed problem that takes attention annually.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    edited September 8 #28
    tennmike said:
    What I know about weed control I learned from  farming. Rule #1: If you have a creek running through your farm, it overflows seasonally, and your neighbors upstream don't treat for weeds, then you will AWAYS have a weed problem. Weed seeds float downstream in the floods and set up housekeeping. 
    #2. With airborne seeds, wind will blow weed seeds to your property. That goes for city folk, too. Dandelions and Canadian Thistle come to mind, as do other airborne seeds. 
    #3 Birds are prodigious propagators of seeds and encapsulate them in high grade fertilizer to ensure their growth.. 
    End result; no matter what you do you're going to have a weed problem that takes attention annually.
    The little patch of Canadian thistle just on the other side of the fence is what did it to my yard.  I hate 'em!  I won't use chemicals because I grow food back there, so I just go at 'em whenever one pops up and two or three times a year I cut them down on the lot next door. :s

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I tarped over the whole front yard, and planted a layer of river rock.

I spray it occasionally each summer with genuine Monsanto carcinogen Round up. Add generous heat and drought with no shade for all purpose death :)..
    I'm going out this PM and mow it all, again. You can watch it grow this time of year...

Twinkle said:
    The little patch of Canadian thistle just on the other side of the fence is what did it to my yard.  I hate 'em!  I won't use chemicals because I grow food back there, so I just go at 'em whenever one pops up and two or three times a year I cut them down on the lot next door. :s

After cutting the stalk of the thistle close to the ground, split the stalk still attached to the root and pour a little Chlorox bleach in the splits in the stalk. A turkey baster is good for that job, and the plastic ones are cheap. The bleach kills the root and keeps it from sprouting back. No methyl ethyl bad stuff herbicide needed.
    ― Douglas Adams