Home Main Category Hunting

1st kill for 2020/2021 season

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 292 Member
Deer hunting season started 1st of September here. I got my first deer on the 2nd hunting day. I had taken couple of days off from the work and luckily it paid of.

Nice fat doe with an easy shot from 130 yards in the early evening hours. One 180gr ttsx through the shoulder blade did the trick. Mauser I bought last Oct works flawlessly and the suppressor made things even better. It's got some good hunting luck too as this was it's 6th kill in under a year.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,818 Senior Member
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,911 Senior Member
    The one round missing from the butt-stock carrier says it all.

Your garage is set up for butchering just like my dad's. Only he has a bigger bucket.

Unfold that tarp next time. Less mess on the family car. :)
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,951 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #4
    Nicely done, our deer have fat on them like that too, FWIW, I use an Otter sled to transport deer.
    https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/pro-sled-medium/

Tows ok behind an ATV, a couple of guys on a ropehandle  gets it out of the thick woods but the built in runners on the bottom do tend to make it drift, obviously it would work in snow, sturdy enough to have each person grab one end and lift it into the vehicle, hose it out when you are done. There is too much flex in it for really large loads like elk or moose, me and Milehighshooter had an interesting hour or so going downhill with 1/2 an elk

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,263 Senior Member
    I always look forward to your posts. They're kind of the bright spot in my "hunting season", since hunting in Colorado nowadays isn't nearly what it's made out to be....so I don't even bother anymore.

You provide great photos of beautiful country along with eloquent descriptions of the hunt. Thank you for that.

That's the fattest deer I've ever seen. Downed by my favored bullet placement. "High lung, low spine". I've never seen one step out of their own shadow after such a hit.

Looking forward to the rest of your season.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Excellent result.
    Dont you love it when you peel the skin back and see how well conditioned the deer is by the amount of fat. That deer will be perfection on the plate............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,396 Senior Member
    Nicely done
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 292 Member
    I always look forward to your posts. They're kind of the bright spot in my "hunting season", since hunting in Colorado nowadays isn't nearly what it's made out to be....so I don't even bother anymore.

You provide great photos of beautiful country along with eloquent descriptions of the hunt. Thank you for that.

That's the fattest deer I've ever seen. Downed by my favored bullet placement. "High lung, low spine". I've never seen one step out of their own shadow after such a hit.

Looking forward to the rest of your season.

Mike
    Nice to hear. I have thought that perhaps I should just stop posting anything as it seems that the number of readers drops every time I post anything.
    I have thought that cultural differences in hunting methods are too big to interest North American hunters.
    To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,396 Senior Member
    TurdusMerula said:
    Nice to hear. I have thought that perhaps I should just stop posting anything as it seems that the number of readers drops every time I post anything.
    I have thought that cultural differences in hunting methods are too big to interest North American hunters.

PLEASE, don't stop, I also enjoy reading your posts.
    If you look, traffic's down all over the forum
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,305 Senior Member
    Great hunt, and great deer!  I am really looking forward to getting out this year
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,394 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #11
    knitepoet said:
    TurdusMerula said:

PLEASE, don't stop, I also enjoy reading your posts.
    If you look, traffic's down all over the forum

I REALLY enjoy your posts and photos. I just don't srespond or post much. .
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,911 Senior Member
    No difference I can tell, except most of your pictures are better.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Definitely continue posting.  Your rifle season starts well before any we have out here and give me something to look forward to reading, even before our archery season gets going.

Great doe you scored.  We get fat ones like, but not until the weather really starts getting cold (closer to muzzleloader season).
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,571 Senior Member
    Great start!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Don't quit, Dude! It's not that we're not interested. It's that most of us Stateside can match neither the terrain or variety of game you hunt. Not much we can add to the conversation.....only admire and be a little (well.....a lot) jealous. ;)

Mike 
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    As said, please do not stop.
    Your posts and pictures are enjoyable. 
    What you call an easy 130 yard shot is almost impossible to have where I live 
    In South Florida.  Your variety of game makes me jealous.  I have hogs, and a possible chance at a small deer, if I stay within 4 hours of home.
    Well done and Congratulations on your first of the season
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,394 Senior Member
    I love to read the posts from our international members. I've learned a lot about hunting and shooting sports outside the USA. And about life in general in other places. 

Feel free to join in conversations in the other sub-forums. What may seem mundane to you can be interesting to us foreigners!!

I'd certainly like to know more about regular/normal life in Finland.  We don't hear much from your part of the world.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,951 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #18
    You post all the moose hunting pictures that you can, we are shut down in MN for the foreseeable future with moose hunting and Canadian moose hunts are not happening with Covid-19 if traveling from the U.S.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,549 Senior Member
    Beautiful country. Well done. 
    The .30-06 is definitely a good cartridge and one I find dear to my heart. 

Wish I used it more these days. But, it’s become more of a nostalgic cartridge for me.  
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Last night I showed your post to my wife and told her your 5th pic is what our Lexus should look like. She almost agreed.... ;)

Mike
    N454casull