Home Main Category Clubhouse

Started watching Lonesome Dove last night

2»

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,717 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Ever occur to anyone that the entire series of events in Lonesome Dove unfolds due to the actions of one character, Jake Spoon?

Jake shot a guy in Arkansas. Which caused him to flee, ultimately finding Deets and ending up back in Lonesome Dove. As a result, he starts the idea of driving cattle to Montana. That sets off that chain of events. Taking Lori with him, then dumping her and allowing her to be kidnapped. The bar owner burned the place down and killed himself due to Lori and everyone leaving. Etc..

As a result of Jake shooting a guy in Arkansas, Sheriff Johnson is pressured into going after him. He decides to take the little boy with him. And since he left, his wife leaves to find her lover, which causes Rosco to leave to look for July. That sets up an entirely different chain of events that ends up meeting the other story line along the way.

The entire story falls apart if not for the actions of Jake Spoon... And he was hung as a result of his actions. 
    Very insightful point!  Just a minute detail...  Juries, Parliaments and penises are hung.  Men punished by hanging are hanged.  Small but significant difference :D
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    Or it could be that Call was just restless and looking for a new adventure.  I can your point, Jay, about Jake Spoon, and had never even considered it before.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,317 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #34
    GunNut,

JerryBobCo is spot-on with his reference to Quanah Parker. Considered a great war chief by his  own people (though contested by some) and never a tribal chief, he was feared and despised by settlers on the Comanchero  in Texas and Oklahoma....even into SE Colorado. (100% agreement). He lived a complicated life.

By any military Tribunal  in use at the time, it would be expected that he would have been quickly convicted and executed for his actions. Instead, he died peacefully in 1911, on his impressive cattle ranch in Oklahoma, having  adopted the ways of the white man many years before.

Strange end for the last actual Native-American war-chief of any military significance.

If it's something you're interested in, I highly recommend "Empire of the Summer Moon", by S.C Gwynne, Simon & Schuster, 2016. On of the most absorbing books I've read in years.

BTW....Quanah Parker was at the Battle of Adobe Walls  (Billy Dixon, if you recall), and his mother was Cynthia Ann Parker (basis of John Wayne's classic, "The Searchers").

Highly recommended.

Mike

ETA.....A friend of mine who was a fairly reknowned Texas historian once told me that the Comanche were the only people the Apache feared.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,214 Senior Member
    Empire of the Summer Moon", by S.C Gwynne, Simon & Schuster, 2016. ....I second this recommendation...Probably one of the best books written about the Comanche and the Red River War...

Dixon was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Buffalo Wallow Fight...(He was a cavalry scout at the time)
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SmithCorona03A3SmithCorona03A3 Member Posts: 138 Member
    A pretty epic series for sure, watched it a bunch times, & acted to perfection. I admire Tommy Lee's character the most, tells it like he sees it, and a man of his word. The only other western that I even consider as well done is Eastwood's "Unforgiven".
    Formerly known as SmithCorona03A3, back in the old forum days
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,143 Senior Member
    A pretty epic series for sure, watched it a bunch times, & acted to perfection. I admire Tommy Lee's character the most, tells it like he sees it, and a man of his word. The only other western that I even consider as well done is Eastwood's "Unforgiven".
    I agree on Tommy Lee's part!  Honesty and integrity drove him except when it came to claiming Newt as his own.  I'm gonna really buck the system here.  For what ever reason, I never saw Unforgiven for the great movie everyone claimed it was.  To me and heck I'm no critic, it was just par for the course with Clint Eastwood's westerns.  I enjoyed Outlaw Josey Wells and Two Mules for Sister Sara and was never a fan of the spaghetti westerns.

When it came to westerns the Duke, Randolph Scott, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Gary Cooper, Richard Widmark and Robert Duvall to name a few were hard to beat.  However, I do agree Lonesome Dove was one of the best ever!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    edited September 2020 #38
    I agree on Tommy Lee's part!  Honesty and integrity drove him except when it came to claiming Newt as his own.  I'm gonna really buck the system here.  For what ever reason, I never saw Unforgiven for the great movie everyone claimed it was.  To me and heck I'm no critic, it was just par for the course with Clint Eastwood's westerns.  I enjoyed Outlaw Josey Wells and Two Mules for Sister Sara and was never a fan of the spaghetti westerns.

When it came to westerns the Duke, Randolph Scott, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Gary Cooper, Richard Widmark and Robert Duvall to name a few were hard to beat.  However, I do agree Lonesome Dove was one of the best ever!
    HEATHEN!!!  Lord and I USED to like you! 

I love Unforgiven because Clint as an actor and director got the viewers to love a character that by all measure was just a vile, violent sociopath, with some sort of a moral code that no one can really understand.  The "hero" embarks on a journey to kill for money two guys that were questionably "bad" (but not as bad as someone killing for bounty) and as a byproduct of this action ends up massacring a whole bar full of men because they killed his friend, another paid assassin that probably "had it coming", and we still enthusiastically cheer for him when he rides out of town?  That is a pretty significant achievement for a director!  

Unlike his older spaghetti westerns the movie was also more technically correct as far as clothing weapons, period life, etc (outside of that cheesy cheap pair of spurs Clint insists in wearing in every movie he makes  :s ) and the plot more believable as to what life in the old west was as opposed to the just seeking entertainment value of his prior films.  I think it absolutely deserved the 4 Oscars he got in 1993 (God was it THAT long ago?!?!?!?!).

I forgive you, but for your punishment you need to go watch the movie twice again  :D

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 621 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Ok. How do you get that without Comcast as a basic ISP?
    Do they provide you internet access?  Then just buy Internet service from them, NOT the bundle.  Then sign up for the streaming services directly.  BTW all of them offer monthly subscription to all the Premium channels.  When there is something good to watch on HBO, Cinemax, etc, we turn the channel on for a moth, binge watch whatever we wanted to watch and turn it off.  Many of the good shows from those Premium channels will get release on Netflix, Hulu and prime in time anyway.

My "saved" to watch lists on the streaming services are so long I'll be long dead and never get to all of the shows/movies I've put in there.
    Did a little research on this. Comcast (I hate them) offers "internet-only" service to new subscribers only. If you are an existing customer who is subscribed to one of their "bundle" plans (I am),  downgrading is not an option in my area.

I'm thinking of cancelling ComCast entirely, returning their equipment, and starting from scratch with CenturyLink internet/wifi only.

Decent plan? I'm really tired of $250 a month when we have Roku, Netflix, Amazon Prime and watch ComCast purely for the local channels. I can get more up to date news and weather via the internet.

Mike
    We get our local channels with Hulu Live which we bundle with Disney+.
    One of the biggest things I like about unforgivable is you can tell they really tried to make an effort to show gun-play on a more realistic level. They even devote a whole scene in the jail where Hackman describes what it takes to shoot and actually hit something. The only slip-up I could tell was referring to “30-30 shells” which didn’t exist in 1881. 
    That, and Hackman was fantastic in that movie. “I guess you think I’m kickin’ Ya, Bob!”...
    *unforgiven
    One of the biggest things I like about unforgivable is you can tell they really tried to make an effort to show gun-play on a more realistic level. They even devote a whole scene in the jail where Hackman describes what it takes to shoot and actually hit something. The only slip-up I could tell was referring to “30-30 shells” which didn’t exist in 1881. 
    That, and Hackman was fantastic in that movie. “I guess you think I’m kickin’ Ya, Bob!”...
    The guy who played the “biographer” did a great job too.  “Duck of death”... 🤣🤣🤣

Richard Harris, I believe, played the part of the Duck.

I third the recommendation for Empire of the Rising Moon.  As I recall, it was none other than Sam Waas who recommended it here before he got the ban hammer.  May he rest in peace.

As for Quanah Parker, family legend has it that his mother, Cynthia Ann Parker, is an ancestor.  I don't remember the lineage, but I've heard it for years.   Per the Empire book, her life after being rescued from those evil Commanches was very hard for her.  She wanted to go back and live with those she considered her people, but was never able to do so.  She was kidnapped when she was 9, and raised as a Commanche.  No wonder she hated the white man's ways.
    Jerry

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,317 Senior Member
    Jerry,
    The correct title is Empire of the Summer Moon and I'm pretty sure Sam was gone before the book was published.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Yeah, I got the name wrong, but I googled the book and I'm pretty sure it's the book I read.  If not, I read one that was darn near the same.
    Jerry

Jerry

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,143 Senior Member
    I also recommend it.

Excellent book.