Home Main Category General Firearms

Old school custom

earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,889 Senior Member

Im guessing this was before people started using the S&W micrometer rear sights.

I can't tell if the ejection port was lowered. I suspect not.  I love the old style rounded hammer spurs. I think military contract guns had checkered trigger faces. I guess the pinned addition on the 'King' gun gives a significant longer reach. I believe the bead front/U-notch arrangement was the thing for target revolvers of that time. It looks like King might have rounded and polished the front of the grip frame, but I can't tell. I'm sure the gun's original finish was well beyond improvement to begin with.
I doubt the big grip and arched MS fit most hands well, but its excellent work.

Replies

• JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 612 Senior Member
    The swept back rear sight really reduces glare too. I have one on one of my revolvers and the difference between it and a straight blade is immense. 

Look up king super target those were some cool guns.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,964 Senior Member
    Niiiice! I've never seen grips like those. I'd be somewhat concerned of getting pinched by the joint at the front, but "probably not" as I'd ASS-U-ME that the grip-maker knew what s/he was doing. Beautiful gun, beautiful grips!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,861 Senior Member
    The National Match came before the Gold Cup National Match, which was much later. Fine pistol there.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,889 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #5
    Found an example of the King Super Target.
    https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/colt-king-super-target-38-special-c16201/
    Nice!

There's an outfit making modern renditions of the King Ramp front sights. Can't recall the name. I lost interest in them when I saw the complexity of installation. The video quotes the old King catalog description. I see Cornell sells reprints of the catalogs. Make for some interesting reading.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,386 Senior Member
    Interesting ergonomic choices, to be sure.  Nice thing about the platform  is that it allows for a lot of adjustment just in the combinations of 1911 and 1911-A1 parts.  My preference is pure 1911-A1 with arched MSH to bring the muzzle up to level and short trigger to allow hyperextending the last joint for a 90-degrees perpendicular, straight press to the rear.  I've got big hands, but that arrangement would have me pitching shots to the left without a lot of concentration. Probably the customer had HUGE hands, maybe combined with arthritic fingertips that couldn't wrap the frontstrap comfortably.

Pretty thing - no doubt about that.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,089 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #7
    That's a Bullseye gun...When I was shooting on the Michigan Air Guard pistol team I was issued a Colt National Match set up just like that...the hammer isn't anything special... it's just a standard 1911 hammer that's been taken to a grinder and reblued. There  gripwas witha much more radical grip with a palm rest both designed for one-handed shooting...your other hand was inserted in your back pocket.....No special ammo involved...just standard 230 grain G.I. Ball ammo.
    Targets were standard Bullseye targets engaged at 25 and 50 yards.

We used to strengthen our arms by holding Coke bottles filled with lead shot at arm's length in a shooting position for as long as we could

Probably one of the finest. 1911s I have ever used...

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Here's an example of the King mirrored ramp or reflector sight.

I have a 1960 American Rifleman magazine that shows some bullseye guns used at Camp Perry including one's modified by Jim Clark.

Some of the finest old time work may have been done by the armorers and smith's at those matches according to what I've read.

The finish on those old Colts is sure beautiful.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,964 Senior Member
    You learn something new every day! Thanx for that Early, I'd never seen nor heard of a "reflector sight" like that - that's really cool!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Its fascinating stuff for sure.
    Especially considering its circa 1930's..