Home Main Category

Jack O'Connor, more than about the .270 Winchester

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
I've been reading up on Jack O'Connor and as much as proselyting the .270 Winchester he was really a proponent of the Model 70 Rifle.
What y'all think?
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,501 Senior Member
    Good God, Snake...it's a joke. Let it go.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,771 Senior Member
    I have a collection of old gun/hunter publications. It would be difficult to exaggerate the popularity of the Winchester model 70 rifle prior to 1964.. A careful examination of a contemporary specimen will abundantly reveal the reasons.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,841 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #4
    I like that he was not so narrow minded as some. He actually used quite a few cartridges. 

Most of which, I like. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,501 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #5
    In fact, he gave  a tip of the hat to the .30-06 with 150 grainers.

Damned Traitor.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Good God, Snake...it's a joke. Let it go.

Mike
    Read the Title! What I'm getting at is yeah he loved the .270, but that's not my point. The other thing he praised was the Pre-64 Winchester. That's not ever really mentioned when people talk about Jack O'Connor.

I wish I'd copied the URL of this article. I never realized he was such a Model 70 fan. He started off with sporterized Mil Surps . His first attempt at sheep hunting was with a 10.5 pound .30-06. It was a sporterized 03. He figured out that wasn't the best for sheep hunting and came home empty handed. His first successful sheep hunt was with a 7x57 Mauser. When Winchester came out with the Model 54 he bought one in .270. Then later when the Model 70 came out he bought one. He had two favorite sheep rifles fit with custom French Walnut stocks and wrap around fine checkering. The first he bought in 1954. It was a standard Model 70 chambered in 270 Winchester which he called Sheep Rifle No. 1. But in 1959 he bought a featherweight Model 70 and had his gun smith do some of the same things to it and called it Sheep Rifle No. 2. At the time of his death he had bought and sent to his gun smith a Ruger 77 chambered in .280 Remington. He had hated the new model 70 since he first saw one and never bought another Model 70.  Being a gun writer he tried several rifles. But his main sheep rifles were the two Model 70s.

Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I have a collection of old gun/hunter publications. It would be difficult to exaggerate the popularity of the Winchester model 70 rifle prior to 1964.. A careful examination of a contemporary specimen will abundantly reveal the reasons.

Yep, all you gotta do is read Jack O'Connor's writings. Until I read these articles the last few days I never realized so much about one. Makes me want to start going to gun shows and find me a nice one.

Damned Traitor.

Mike

What you expect? He was a gun writer. He had to talk about other things than his favorites. But evidently he couldn't bring himself to say much good about the 64+ Model 70.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    snake284 said:

Damned Traitor.

Mike

What you expect? He was a gun writer. He had to talk about other things than his favorites. But evidently he couldn't bring himself to say much good about the 64+ Model 70.
    Actually back then popular gun writers as a lot were pretty independent thinkers and a HIGHLY opinionated bunch.  Magazines have them a fair amount of freedom to express themselves, specially the popular guys like Jack and Elmer Keith.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,771 Senior Member
    Thre model 70 does have its short comings. The way its bedded, the fit n' finish, the feel of the bolt when it cycles, the ease of disassembly, the trigger, the barrels, even the weight and balance (at least on my Featherweight) are all great.

It does need some special attention. The flat bedding area can hold moisture if used in wet weather. The spring cylinder for the floor plate release on the magazine also collects and holds moisture. The bolt body directs spent gasses from pierced primers or ruptured cases down the race way adjacent a right-hand shooters cheek and theres no flange at the rear of the bolt to deflect said gasses. These things aren't really failings but do need attention on a rifle that gets used and handloaded for. Also the breech leaves part of a chambered cartridge not completely enveloped by steel.
    GunNut said:
    snake284 said:

Damned Traitor.

Mike

Actually back then popular gun writers as a lot were pretty independent thinkers and a HIGHLY opinionated bunch.  Magazines have them a fair amount of freedom to express themselves, specially the popular guys like Jack and Elmer Keith.

GunNut said:
    snake284 said:

Damned Traitor.

Mike

Think about the money and popularity Keith and O'Connor gave the magazines back then. No way were they going to shut them up. Not in that day and time.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,770 Senior Member
    Considering when he was writing, there really were few things to compare with the M70, and they're certainly nicer than most things available today.  Certainly too nice to put a .270 barrel on.  :D

Now truthfully, I'd rather they'd have put that work into prettying up the basic M1917 Enfield mechanism like Remington did with the 30A, but I won't abandon a 70 on an orphanage's porch.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    How'd I miss this post?

I grew up reading O'Connor, and never even heard of Keith until I was in my late 30s.  Until then, I had no idea of their very public disagreement.  Oh well...

I thought of O'Connor as more of a hunting writer than anything else.  I recall him mentioning the 7mm Mauser a number of times, and spoke glowingly of it.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,841 Senior Member
    How'd I miss this post?

I grew up reading O'Connor, and never even heard of Keith until I was in my late 30s.  Until then, I had no idea of their very public disagreement.  Oh well...

I thought of O'Connor as more of a hunting writer than anything else.  I recall him mentioning the 7mm Mauser a number of times, and spoke glowingly of it.
    This. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,510 Senior Member
    Jack O'Connor poses with an Eland and his .375 H&H model 70

I've been on this forum for a fair bit now but didn't know you could post outside of the five main categories (General, Hunting, Personal Defense, 2nd A and Clubhouse). Aside from the Classifieds, which I rarely visit, I didn't know why these Strange threads kept showing up. Curiosity finally got the better of me and here I am.

Certainly, O’Connor owned rifles in many different chamberings. In the model 70 alone, O'Connor owned a .220 Swift, .257 Roberts, .270, .30-06, .375 H&H and at least 4 others.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain