Home Main Category Clubhouse

Nothing like a car wreck to foster a little family unity

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,164 Senior Member
This afternoon the family decided to take a drive to a nearby town.  My step-daughter was driving her Chevy Tahoe.  My wife and dog were in the front passenger seat.  I was sitting in the back seat behind the driver, and my 7 year old grandson was sitting directly behind my wife.  I had not been wearing my seat belt when my grandson reminded me that I needed to buckle up.  I did, and that no doubt saved me from grevious harm.

On our way back into town, some butthole blew through two stop signs at high speed while being chased by cops.  He caught us in the left rear quarter panel, which spun us around a full 360 degrees.  I was trying to talk on the phone at the time, and didn't see it coming.  My head probably slammed into the side window, and my glasses, phone and cap were knocked into the back compartment.  When we assessed damage, I had a bit of a cut by my left eye, but that was pretty much it.  All I can say is thank God that no one was really hurt.

I said a prayer when we got home, and now everyone is getting along better than we have in a while.  I guess it's one of those blessings in disguise.

The perp was caught, and has been charged with failure to have auto insurance.  Hopefully, they will throw a few more things at him.  If not, they sure as hell should.  If he had hit us a split second sooner, I might not be here to type this.  It really was that close.

Be thankful for who you have and what you have.  As some of us have already discovered, it can end suddenly.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,164 Senior Member
    I'm glad you and your family weren't hurt Jerry.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,116 Senior Member
    Wow. Its interesting indeed how things often work out, but very "close" as you say. Somebody was looking out for you methinks.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,741 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #4
    Damn brother!  I’m sure glad God was with you and yours!  Thank you Father!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,326 Senior Member
    Wow, Jerry....that's about all I can say. From prior experience, I will attest that it can all...and I mean all...end suddenly.

Glad we both (all)  survived our brush with death. Wear your sealtbelt, you jerk. I like my life better with you in it.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,576 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #6
    Jerry a friendly warning from my years in EMS, you're going to sore in places tomorrow you don't even realize you have today.

Glad none of you were seriously injured

Tylenol will be a VERY good friend for the next few of days
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,164 Senior Member
    Thanks for all of the good thoughts and wishes.  And Mike, you can be damn sure I'll wear a seat belt regardless of which seat I'm sitting in from now on.  Lesson learned.

Paul, I'm already starting to feel sore in some of those places.
    Jerry

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,222 Senior Member
    Those gut checks with your own mortality are a real eye opener to the I.important stuff in life....happy that you and yours are OK
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,332 Senior Member
    Glad you are all OK, keep an eye on that head smack.  They can come back and haunt you a ways down the road
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,849 Senior Member
    Glad everyone is OK; just prayed it remains so.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,041 Senior Member
    WOW! Glad you and all your family are OK, and other driver gets locked up under the jail!!

When it happened, I was trying to call my Mom to wish her happy birthday.  I eventually did, although her hearing and old age make phone calls somewhat of a challenge.  She turned 89 yesterday.

Speaking of which, today marks my 69th trip around old Sol.
    Jerry

When it happened, I was trying to call my Mom to wish her happy birthday.  I eventually did, although her hearing and old age make phone calls somewhat of a challenge.  She turned 89 yesterday.

Happy Birthday 🎂🍾🥂🎉

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,366 Senior Member
    Wow!  Glad you are all OK, and I hope you are able to get some restitution from the bad guy.

And happy birthday!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,793 Senior Member
    Wow, you are lucky. Glad you made it out alive. I'm just now feeling "normal" after my bike accident in western North Carolina, July 20th.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Glad you are not seriously injured.  I'm sure days later the muscle won't be so happy.  Thank fully God had some Angels watching over y'all.  Prayers sent.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,576 Senior Member
    Happy birthday
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Glad you and family were not seriously hurt. And really thankful it was the rear quarter panel that got smacked instead of a T-bone. All y'alls guardian angels were on the job! Take it easy for a few days and do what KP said regarding Tylenol. 

And Happy Birthday!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,092 Senior Member
    Happy birthday!! Glad your here to enjoy it.
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 261 Member
    Happy birthday ! Happy to hear the moron didn't cause more harm. Sometimes our lives can be measured in micro seconds between life or death and we have no say in the matter.
  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    What they said ^^^^^
    Glad you're with us and not badly injured.
    Happy Birthday!
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,326 Senior Member
    Happy birthday, Jerry!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 459 Member
    edited September 2020 #23
      I had not been wearing my seat belt when my grandson reminded me that I needed to buckle up.  I did, and that no doubt saved me from grevious harm.

Grand kids are cool.
    Not long got my mine.

69?
    You take care, you young fart.

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,429 Senior Member
    Glad y'all are ok and Happy Birthday!!!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,171 Senior Member
    Glad you and the family survived what could have been a life ending moment Jerry. There is nothing like a 'My whole life flashed before my eyes' moment to make us reappraise our attitude towards each other and life itself.

Happy birthday btw.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Glad you got away with minor injuries and nothing more.  You're right: that a seatbelt kept you from going through that windshield.  
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,438 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #27
    just a comment.

good thing no one was hurt seriously.

but where i come from, now adays, you need to look at if the intersection is clear before you proceed.  If you stop at an intersection, before you proceed, sometimes you will get someone that is trying to beat the yellow or yellow/red light and sometimes you get people just running them due to police or distractions.

when i was visiting a friend in the hood and where i used to live we were coming back from the movies via some side roads at night.  I was approaching a cross street and this big caddy w/o lights was doing at least 60 in a residential neighborhood and would have t-boned my car if i was a bit faster.  Mind you the road they were flying down was more or less 3 cars wide.  but my friend reminded me about a possible police car chasing him, so i stopped before i crossed that road and made sure it was clear. 

also, where i live more or less in the hood area or near it, you get people that will run reds or do really bad California right turns just because they dont see anyone they may need to stop for. 

also, when i drive i crack the drivers and passengers side window so if any ememgency vehicles are nearby i hope to hear them.  Its funny to watch how many people in cars dont hear or see a vehicle with lights and sirens.  

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    I wasn't driving, but we were on a divided highway where the speed limit was at least 65.  The guy wasn't trying to beat a yellow light.  He flew through 2 stop signs at a high rate of speed while being chased by cops.  I don't know if I would have done anything different, but who knows.  I know what you're saying, though.  It's always good to check what's headed your way, regardless of the circumstances.

As for yesterday's birthday celebration, my wife grilled some steaks.  My step-daughter (the driver from previous day) and grandson were there,  We had a BIG chocolate cake, which my grandson and I surely enjoyed.

I can't remember a birthday celebration that I have enjoyed more.  Just having everyone there, safe and relatively unscathed made it a great time.  Nothing like what happened to show one what is really important.
    Jerry

• mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 538 Senior Member
    Happy belated birthday Jerry! Just glad you are still here to celebrate!

USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    Happy belated birthday Jerry! Just glad you are still here to celebrate!

Thanks, Paul.  Me too on the "still here" part. :)
    Jerry

edited September 2020 #31
    I wasn't driving, but we were on a divided highway where the speed limit was at least 65.  The guy wasn't trying to beat a yellow light.  He flew through 2 stop signs at a high rate of speed while being chased by cops.  I don't know if I would have done anything different, but who knows.  I know what you're saying, though.  It's always good to check what's headed your way, regardless of the circumstances.

As for yesterday's birthday celebration, my wife grilled some steaks.  My step-daughter (the driver from previous day) and grandson were there,  We had a BIG chocolate cake, which my grandson and I surely enjoyed.

I can't remember a birthday celebration that I have enjoyed more.  Just having everyone there, safe and relatively unscathed made it a great time.  Nothing like what happened to show one what is really important.
    Yes sir, that's for sure!  My very young at the time brother in law and my MIL were visiting for Christmas a few years back and they borrowed my car on Christmas Eve for a short errand.  I got a call about 5 minutes later.  Some dumb broad blew through a stop sign, just not paying attention, and TOTALED my car, almost ripped the whole front end off, car looked like a boomerang.  A fraction of a second more and it would have been a direct hit on the driver's door and my BIL would not be alive today.  He was all of 17 at the time...

Mom was a little banged up and he was bruised and achy, but we had a heck of a great Christmas that year.