Home Main Category Hunting

Been a busy few weeks Part 2.

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,148 Senior Member
So, there we were cutting up the last deer and hatching our plan.......
It involved removing distractions like the 'meet and greet', the 'pre hunt ' hunt with the kids etc and going back to the basics.

Sunday morning BH texts the owner to tell him we would be up after lunch and also to say that we would head straight up to where we planned to hunt and that we would call in at the house on our way out to say hello. There are 2 ways to get to the rear of the farm, one involved driving past the house, the other involved driving up the northern boundary to a position where we could stalk to where we knew the deer would be heading to in the afternoon..We took the northern route which involved driving up the steep northern boundary to a position where we would have about a 2k walk to the chosen area. The weather gods were smiling as the wind was steady from the east which meant that we would have the wind in our faces once we started walking.
After parking up we put our packs on, loaded up the rifles....( Both 7mm08's) and commenced our stalk to a bushy knoll that overlooked a horse arena that had a crop of Plantain on it.  The stalk commenced from the time we took the first steps away from the Suzuki.  Although we split up somewhat to check out all the gullies and basins we remained within touch visually and communicated with hand signals. The stalk was designed to bypass horses and cattle and minimise our presence to other wildlife like peacocks ( which when disturbed, let out a piercing call to alert all other critturs that something was afoot). We finally got to our Bushy knoll, sidled around it under the cover provided and located ourselves on the eastern side of it with the sun behind us and the wind in our face. Even managed to find a gap in the tree canopy which allowed us to lay down in the sun. Our stalk was so effective and stealthy that we had rabbits and parakeets within a few yards that were completely unaware of our presence. Here is a pic of the area looking west.
The big dark bushy knoll is the one directly behind the horse arena which is marked with white markers and we were about half way up it in the centre. Behind me when i took the above pic was a belt of Pines where we knew the reds would be laying up.
Here is a pic I took from the eastern edge of the horse arena looking east........

Both pics were taken after the action was over btw. ( Apologies for the quality as I used my cellphone......at least I didnt get my feet in the second pic lol)

By the time we got set up it was approx 3.30pm and we knew that the reds were in the habit of coming out around 4pm. All conversations were carried out in whispers and we took it in turn to cover the approaches with our bino's. At about 3.58pm BH nudged me with his elbow and pointed at the edge of the pines which were about 280m away............and there was a Red spiker standing just on the edge next to a pine tree with his nose in the air scenting and looking around. He stayed there for 2-3 minutes and then slowly walked towards us. He cleared the 5 wire fence nonchalantly  and slowly walked directly towards us. I remained focused on him while BH continued to scan the pine tree edge. Again Bh nudged me with his elbow and whispered that there were 2 more reds about 3 rows back in the pines just standing and observing the area. I continued to watch the spiker which seemed hesitant but not spooked as it made its way towards the arena. The 2 in the pines moved slowly from left to right but stayed in the pines. When I finally picked them up in the bino;s they were stationary and although they were some distance away we could see that they were much bigger than the spiker. We had already ranged the area while setting up and I knew that the far edge of the arena was 108m away from our position. 4-5 minutes later the spiker had closed to within 10 metres of the arena fence where he then stopped. In the meantime, the 2 in the pines had their survival instincts working overtime and decided they didnt want to hang around. ( Not sure if you guys know this, but older bucks and hinds often send younger animals out first while they sit and watch to make sure everything is safe) The 2 in the pines disappeared  from sight and the spiker turned around to look back to see where they were.
By this stage I had my rifle on my pack and closed the bolt fully and lined up on the spiker. He stayed still long enough for me to reposition my pack to make it steadier ...........and holding on the back of his neck, I slowly squeezed the shot off............
The sound of the shot was echoed by the sound of a good hit, and at the shot, the spiker reared up in the front and fell over backwards. A couple of kicks as his muscles relaxed and he was ours. While I was watching him approach he looked quite ragged and skinny but after we collected our gear up and walked over to him he got bigger and fatter until when we got to him we revised our opinion of his physical state.
It took both of us to roll him over.The 120gr psp had struck exactly where I intended it to, about halfway between his head and shoulder on his neck and dead centre.

We faced him downhill and cut his throat then I 'pumped' his back legs a few times to force blood  out of his neck arteries.......bit like giving CPR. We then field dressed him, found a stick to hold his stomach open and dragged him into the shade of a lupin bush to let him cool down.

Here is a pic from the spikers position as he approached the bushy knoll. As you can plainly see, the position of the sun and shade gave us a perfect spot to sit........and despite all the rumours,  conspiracy theories and official reports, there were two shooters on the knoll!  :oB)

Part B to follow...........
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Part B............

After a quick drink and a chat we headed to the north to watch over a second likely spot where we knew deer were feeding. Again this was part of our cunning plan........

After sitting and watching the pine tree edge for about 30 mins I suggested to BH that maybe I should head back to the vehicle and bring it closer, leaving him to deal with any further deer that may appear.

I then set off for the 2 k walk taking just my rifle and a couple of cable ties in my pocket along with my benchmade griptillian on my belt.

Once again I went into stealth mode and as I wandered around the side of the knoll where we had been sitting, i glanced up a a gully to my right and saw a deer sitting in the paddock on the edge of the property. A quick glance with the bino's and I could see he was a big Fallow buck. He was about 800m away and from his position He had a commanding view of the surrounding terrain including the track I was on. Luckily I had stopped next to a lupin bush which partly obscured me.
    I decided to see if I could stalk to within range and saw that there was one blind spot for him from his position..........but to get there I would have to quietly and without being seen, extract myself from his view, then make a circle involving about a 2k walk. but if I was successful, it would bring me out on a ridge overlooking his position and present me with about a 40m shot.
    Slinging my rifle over my shoulder I dropped to my hands and knees and crawled further along the track while watching him. Every time he looked in my direction I slowly dropped on to my stomach and waited for him to turn away. After about 150m I managed to roll into a gully out of his sight to my left and then jogged away from him about 400m to where I knew I could cross over a ridge into the next gully that would bring me out on the ridge above him. After crossing the spur, as it was getting darker I then jogged and ran about 800m back up this gully until I was about 150m away from where I planned to shoot.
    Being totally out of breath by this stage I decided to lay down and recover before doing the last 150m of the stalk. 2-3minutes later my heart had stopped pounding and  I slowly made my way closer using the bottom of the gully. When I got to the boundary fence I was faced with a steep uphill slope of about 60m, so I slowly and stealthily made my way up it on my hands and knees and stopping just before the crest I paused, dropped the bolt and crawled up to a fence strainer post that I had already picked out for a rest.

Carefully sliding the rifle over the post I slowly raised up to see that the buck had gone........ but in its place were 3 large spikers quietly grazing across the gully. As they moved up the slope to be level with me I settled into the rifle and just as I was about to squeeze off they turned and moved back down the slope. The last one stopped and put his head down to nibble on a tuft of grass so I squeezed off  and dropped him with a shot to the top of his neck..........Range was about 35metres.

I then looked back to where I had left BH which was about 500m away and couldnt spot him..........then I saw his head poke up above the scrub. He slowly made his way over bringing my pack with him and I dropped down to where the spiker lay, cut its throat and let it bleed out.

Here is a pic of the fallow spiker and my faithfull Tikka T3 lite in 7mm08....
    Bh kindly offered to field dress the deer and when he finished I headed back to get the vehicle. As I crested the ridge I took these  pics of the sun slowly sinking into the ocean......

After loading both animals up, we called in at the house to do our 'meet n greet' before heading off home.
    When we got to BH's place we put the red spiker on the scales and it weighed 62kg sans head, legs and gutted.........Thats just over 136lb for you guys.

The cunning plan worked !
    Now to plan the next trip to see if we can out fox the much bigger stag.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,015 Senior Member
    Great stories both A&B. Thanks for sharing.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Beautiful shot and about as perfect of a setup as you can get!  Great use of the environment.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,396 Senior Member
    Well done, my friend
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    Great story and outcome.  You have some good eating ahead of you
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,818 Senior Member
    What a hunt, hey!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,951 Senior Member
    A good day hey, where is the red's head?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    A good day hey, where is the red's head?f

Didnt get my ph out of my pack till after we field dressed it. By then the head was already off. Will do betterer next time....
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 613 Senior Member
    I always like your stories.
    Thanks and carry on.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,951 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    A good day hey, where is the red's head?f

Didnt get my ph out of my pack till after we field dressed it. By then the head was already off. Will do betterer next time....
    Ohh, you are forgiven, deer hunting fever is building in my neck of the woods, keep pouring petrol on the fire.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11