Home Main Category General Firearms

Milsurp save Monday

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,454 Senior Member

I dont recall I posted the final on this one. This was a bubba'ed 1903. Holes for a receiver peep, holes for a scope (off center) cut stock that was finished ok. I am thinking that someone got it and put a Lyman sight on it and redid the stock in the 50's, then grand bubba bores some holes in it for a scope mount.
I got it off of gun broker cheap, put the bbled action and parts I had, plus parts I accumulated for the project into a box and sent it to the CMP. It is now a replica M1941 and fun to shoot.

The scope is a Hi Lux Malcolm clone of a Unertl. The glass is good, the turrets.... not so much. I just had it at a match Sun where I shot a 94 at 300 and a 96 at 600 even with a 7 that I shot because I didnt pull the scope back. The spring wasnt used in the military, so it is not legal for the matches. I just found out that they make replacement turrets that are a lot more positive. I was having a hard time getting it dialed in at 300 and the 600 zero I got Sat afternoon that was a 10 at 12oclock shot low and right a 7 at 5oclock.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,090 Senior Member
    Great save....and I hate you, just a bit
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,890 Senior Member
    Nice!

New turrets to come?
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,330 Senior Member
    Damned fine looking rifle 😍
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    Very cool!! Me likee!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,754 Senior Member
    Very nice; I dig those "saving" projects. Some will see them as financially senseless but I think that unless the gun is beyond a reasonable point of at least returning it to an "as issued" condition, why not? 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,145 Senior Member
    Great save.  I have been thinking something like that for one in the safe, but that is so far beyond my skills
    Didnt think if sending it off
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,939 Senior Member
    That came out nice, Will you be replacing the spring to make it an eligible gun for matches?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,861 Senior Member
    Great.  Chiro, I think the springs has to be removed the make it eligible.  I love the looks of that gun; USMC used them thru WW 2 and Korea, I believe.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,454 Senior Member
    Yep, the spring has to come off. I still have it.
    edited September 2020 #11
    It was financially neutral, maybe, if the right person wanted to buy it. If one was to do it just to do it, well, I wanted a nicer rifle for the match and I plan to keep shooting the Vintage Sniper matchs for quite a few years. The action was not real expensive, and I was able to use a couple other parts from the donor. CMP put a new Criterion bbl on it and reparked the whole thing, did the stock relief and a real nice trigger job. I could sell the original 03 bbl that was on it to Numrich, it has decent rifling and looks pretty good. I had parts from 2 rebuilds, the sons 03, and a 1903AFaux that I built from a barreled action that was molested. Still not a money maker. It can never be a full restoration due to the extra holes in the action so it might as well be built for a match and have a cool factor. There is enough $ in it that killing a whole 1903 wouldnt be even close to a good idea. One that is already drilled and tapped you cant ever make it worth what it would be unmolested so might as well.
    Gene L said:
    Great.  Chiro, I think the springs has to be removed the make it eligible.  I love the looks of that gun; USMC used them thru WW 2 and Korea, I believe.

Yep, USMC M1941. with a 8x scope
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,514 Senior Member
    Absolute lust. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Terrific bringing back an oldie!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,386 Senior Member
    What's the source of the turret upgrades?  Faced with a similar/identical problem.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    edited September 2020 #16
    Hi Lux. You have to buy, however rumor control says that if you have the serno from the scope you bought from them you get 100 off. https://hi-luxoptics.com/products/malcolm-8x-vintage-sniper-competition-mount I havent had the time to look further in to it, the info came from target point 5 while I was on 6 on Sun.
    Just a question, is yours not holding zero after adjustment?