Home Main Category Hunting

Friday evening's hunt

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 292 Member
I was pretty tired after yesterday as I had tackled hole day with my car's rear brakes and rust frozen slider bolts in brake caliber carrier.
At first I wasn't going anywhere but the weather was great is I pushed myself a bit and went to my usual early season spot.

After about an hour from my arrival I watched as a young four pointer bull moose walked across the field. He wasn't in a hurry but obviously he was heading somewhere. It looked so determined that he stopped only a couple of times for a quick check for surroundings.
Half an hour after the moose I saw three deer running across but distance was 450 yards so I just enjoyed their effortless jumps across the field.
The Sun had already set and I knew from the experience that I have around one hour left until it's too dark to shoot. But just after 8 o'clock I saw as two deer came out from the forest to eat on the field. A yearling and a cow. 

I had to "wait" for about a minute until the cow moved away from the line of fire behind the fawn and as  it was getting dark I wanted to drop it on the spot. Distance was a mere 100 yards. Crosshair on top of the high shoulder and suppressed Mauser barked out it's laser gun type "piew" sound. As I heard the very loud slap from the bullet hit I saw the fawn collapsing on the spot.
The cow took a 25 yard run, stopped and turned to look what happened. I had already chambered the next round and put the crosshair in front of her shoulder as the cow was angled towards me. Another piew sound sent the ttsx on it's way followed by a loud smack.
Cow bolted towards the middle of the field and after 25 yards started to crumple. Despite of that kept on another 25 yards until it fell down and laid still after that.

That field opening has been very kind to me. After I returned home I checked and counted that I have gotten eight deer a two moose in the last three years from that field opening.

Today I have a lot of work to process those two deer into freezer.  Kills number 3 and 4 for this season.

In the second picture you might see a dark figure in the top part of the pic. It's the moose walking through the field but the phone's camera doesn't quite have the capabilities from the 450 yards :)

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,394 Senior Member
    You have awesome luck!! Great story and pictures!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,911 Senior Member
    I see the moose good.

You'll need those new brakes to haul all that meat.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,396 Senior Member
    Nicely done!!!
    Congrats
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,263 Senior Member
    Way to go!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,951 Senior Member
    I like that you get to watch deer and make decisions about when and where you take your shot, much more enjoyable to see game regularly.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #7
    Very cool habitat you have.  Wild whitetails and moose in the same area.  That’s a true treasure.  I only ever see moose in heavy bogs out in the Western states.  We have to travel a long way to see them.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 292 Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Very cool habitat you have.  Wild whitetails and moose in the same area.  That’s a true treasure.  I only ever see moose in heavy bogs out in the Western states.  We have to travel a long way to see them.
    These pics are for our "driveway" couple of hundred yards from our house.
    Moose cow with her twin calves from last June.

Sometimes it's slightly troublesome with our dogs as we like to keep 'em free on our yard and all kind of game animals are hanging around on this small 17 acres ex-island. :smiley:

Also a lot of deer hangs around our house

-William Blake-
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    That is awesome 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,394 Senior Member
    Great pictures. I have deer in my yard all the time. Saw a spotted fawn yesterday running through the yard. 1st time I've seen it.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    These pics are for our "driveway" couple of hundred yards from our house.
    Moose cow with her twin calves from last June.

Sometimes it's slightly troublesome with our dogs as we like to keep 'em free on our yard and all kind of game animals are hanging around on this small 17 acres ex-island. :smiley:

Also a lot of deer hangs around our house

Outstanding scenery.  One day we need to get out there, and see your neck of the woods.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,818 Senior Member
    what a place you live in, hey.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,411 Senior Member
    What is the rationale for killing fawns where you are?  (Not judging- curious)
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 292 Member
    What is the rationale for killing fawns where you are?  (Not judging- curious)
    We try to keep our population as steady as possible, so basically our hunting is just population control. The easiest way to control it is to shoot down the annual yield. Hence 50% we shoot in Finland has to be fawns. Or calves with the moose.
    And with one licence ("tag") one can shoot two fawns/calves. For example this year our club of 25 hunters has 85 deer licenses so we can (have to) shoot 56 fawns + 29 cows + 28 bucks.
    Same method goes with the moose in national level. For this year we have less licences for the moose than in the last few years. 9+3+3 moose this year.

It has been like this for decades and our populations can stand 40-50 percent killing ratio every season from the summer population as the moose and deer are great to reproduce here as we don't have much predators here. Game officials have calculated a few years ago that population would explode in just a few years if the hunting would stop. We have winter population of around 100 thousand moose/deer and in the next year there would be 165 thousand and after just two years there would be 240 thousand moose and the same amount of deer roaming in our nature. Causing huge problems in forest industry, traffic accidents and crop damage.
    -William Blake-
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,263 Senior Member
    Uncle Fester....

My ex-boss had a membership at a really prestigious large Texas ranch. Really large....very high priced.

Membership rules were "1 trophy buck, 1 cull buck, and 5 does/fawns" per year. Per membership. If you didn't account for your allotted number of does you didn't come back next year.

Didn't matter who shot the does....but your membership tag had to account for 5.

I've never seen deer like I saw at that place. STUDS all over the place. 

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull