Home Main Category General Firearms

What was your most recent firearm purchase or acquisition?

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,330 Senior Member
    Some_Mook said:
    Well, in the 10 months and 27 days since I quit drinking, I have been padding my Fun Money stash.  Pretty sobering (pun intended) to find out how much money a gallon of Vodka a week (even cheap vodka) can add up to over time.

Need a new vice, so I figured I'd go all-in and take up smoking

;) 

Uberti 1851 and 1861 Navy replicas.  Need to refinish the grips with a darker stain, although I may opt for faux Ivory on the '51. 

Tombstone Grips in Oregon has caught my eye.  Prices seen reasonable and he wants a physical hard paper / index card cut-out matching the frame mailed to him first so he can match the frame more precisely.
    Wow those are beautiful 😍 
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 365 Member
    GunNut said:
    Some_Mook said:
    Well, in the 10 months and 27 days since I quit drinking, I have been padding my Fun Money stash.  Pretty sobering (pun intended) to find out how much money a gallon of Vodka a week (even cheap vodka) can add up to over time.

;) 

Uberti 1851 and 1861 Navy replicas.  Need to refinish the grips with a darker stain, although I may opt for faux Ivory on the '51. 

Tombstone Grips in Oregon has caught my eye.  Prices seen reasonable and he wants a physical hard paper / index card cut-out matching the frame mailed to him first so he can match the frame more precisely.
    And quite a lot of fun to shoot.  Got the '51 two weeks ago, the '61 just came in this week.  Been spraying fresh paint on my gongs today, be 'gone shootin' tomorrow
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,147 Senior Member
    Very NICE
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Some_Mook said:
    GunNut said:
    Some_Mook said:

;) 

And quite a lot of fun to shoot.  Got the '51 two weeks ago, the '61 just came in this week.  Been spraying fresh paint on my gongs today, be 'gone shootin' tomorrow
    You suck!!!  I have to get some BP stuff.  I have a LOT of Pyrodex to burn through.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• ErwinErwin Posts: 7 New Member
    Bought a Springfield Hellcat few months ago and I am delighted... 
    One of the local sporting goods chain stores regularly runs ads for an inexpensive .22 single action revolver.  I had most of a box of CCI .22 short CB in the ammo locker that I cannot use in anything I already had, so I figured 'what the hell' and picked one up while road testing a car last week. 

$129.00, a Heritage Manufacturing 'Rough Rider'
    I hear Taurus bought the company, but the .22s are supposedly made in the USA.  The big bore cowboy guns they sell are made by Pietta.  Heritage sells .22WMR cylinders for this model for $29.95 including free shipping.

It is really cheap, the frame reminds me of the cast-metal cap guns I had as a child.  I had no qualms covering all the scratches using a sharpie  :D

The thing is actually pretty fun to shoot and has a decent trigger. 

Tried it out with some cheap Federal .22LR on a 16" gong from 50 yards.  Need to work on my one hand technique, but as long as it goes bang with cheap ammo I'm satisfied, and I think the grandkids will have a blast with it.

https://youtu.be/KfG0fqMju6c  
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,516 Senior Member
    I have been ho early searching for something new and intriguing to spend money one.........nothing is yanking my chain. 
    Even had a few threads to light my fire.......fizzle when it comes to actually spending the case. 

Shame. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 612 Senior Member
    Zee you need a lever gun and those 99's. ....
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,407 Senior Member
    I bought a 9mm can that I hope to receive before Christmas 2021.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,010 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #221

Most recent. Finally got it to the range. It shot well, me, not so much!!! Very out of practice.. 
    sakodude said:

Most recent. Finally got it to the range. It shot well, me, not so much!!! Very out of practice.. 
    If you  are contemplating an upgraded trigger, have a look at Apex.  
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,516 Senior Member
    Some_Mook said:
    sakodude said:

No experience, but heard nothing but good. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,010 Senior Member
    Some_Mook said:
    sakodude said:

Trigger felt pretty good to me but thanks, I will file that away for future consideration.
    Zee said:
    Some_Mook said:
    sakodude said:

No experience, but heard nothing but good. 
    I put a curved forward set sear & trigger kit on my full sized M&P 9, night and day difference over stock.  Breaks really crisp just a hair over 4lbs.  The stock trigger always felt gritty to me under a light gentle squeeze, and I like the non-hinged trigger on the Apex version.  Kind of weird, but the stock trigger on my Shield doesn't bother me as much as the OEM 1.0 version full-sized trigger did.

On a side note, I have a front sight press for the full size slide that you can borrow for the cost of round-trip shipping if you want to play with your sights.  I put Tritium figure 8 sights on mine.  Taught my SIL how to shoot a pistol last month - she called it a Snow Man sight  :D 
    By her third shot she was ringing an 8" gong at 7 yards.
    Zee said:
    I have been ho early searching for something new and intriguing to spend money one.........nothing is yanking my chain. 
    Even had a few threads to light my fire.......fizzle when it comes to actually spending the case. 

Shame. 
    I’m struggling a bit here too.   Next purchase must likely will be twin Glock 44s to use as trainers.

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,816 Senior Member
    I've got a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 w/ TMR (mil) reticle on order. Besides that, I am seriously considering picking up a Glock 48 MOS and Holosun 507K.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    edited November 2020 #228
    I've got a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 w/ TMR (mil) reticle on order. Besides that, I am seriously considering picking up a Glock 48 MOS and Holosun 507K.
    @shotgunshooter3
    Put in your order for Shield Arms 15 round mags NOW!!!!!!  They take MONTHS to deliver since they are in perpetual Back Order and if you decide you don’t want a 48 you can sell them on Gunbroker for twice what you paid.

I’ve been running the test one I have like gangbusters with absolutely no issues and it’s now my EDC.  I know two other guys that are using them in their duty and training guns with flawless performance already in the thousands of rounds.  Why Glock is not using these mags as OEM issue already is beyond me.  Makes a great gun into an AMAZING gun!

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,571 Senior Member
    Zee said:

I can identify with that
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,863 Senior Member
    A Remington Mohawk C 10, retrieved from my sister.  Shot it Saturday, 10 shot mag, terrible trigger.  Nylon gun...I love them.  I've got a Seneca Green 66, rarest of the Nylon guns, except for the bolt and lever guns (I think).
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited November 2020 #231
    Some_Mook, I quit drinking for awhile back in Dec. 2010 and saved over $300 in no time and bought a Ruger 10/22. Even if you're just a casual drinker you'd be surprised how much money you spend on booze (Not that I was a casual drinker).
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited November 2020 #232
    Just thought I'd mention, that Remington Model 721 I bought from the pawn shop has a problem. I bought it and refinished the stock and touched up the bluing with some Oxpho Blue and it looks great. But I finally got to shoot it about a month back. If you put one in the mag and try to chamber it, when you push the bolt forward just a very little, the cartridge jumps straight up and out of the magazine before it has a chance to chamber. I've messed with the spring but it still won't chamber from the magazine. Well it will if there's more than one round in the mag. So it's not a world ending problem but it's irritating. I very seldom shoot more than one or at most two rounds at game and the mag holds four rounds. But just knowing this bothers me to no end. Upon close examination of the feed rails it looks like some genius for some dumb reason may have ground on the feed rails. So I have a four round max rifle instead of a five, which as I said is no big deal, but it still bother's me. I'm keeping it anyway and I'll get over it but just wanted to pass this on. I will be more careful next time I buy something from a pawn shop. So if you're as anal as me about such things, be careful when buying a pawn shop special. Check it out real good before parting with your money.

Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited November 2020 #233
    @snake284 No need to live with it.  A factory replacement mag box can be had from Midway or Brownells cheap.  Under $20 last time I checked.  Takes about 10 minutes to change it out.

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,407 Senior Member
    6.5 Grendel Upper - got primers and bullets, but no brass.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,392 Senior Member
    6.5 Grendel Upper - got primers and bullets, but no brass.
    Probably have to get in line someplace like Starline.
    https://www.starlinebrass.com/65-grendel.
    At least they're taking back-orders
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ridgleyartridgleyart Posts: 17 New Member
    An Anderson AR
    edited November 2020 #237

(Now videos might be of no use, I don't think anyone clicked on the youtube link in post 217, or someone might have busted my balls for the clean miss on #4)
    edited November 2020 #238
    GunNut said:
    @snake284 No need to live with it.  A factory replacement mag box can be had from Midway or Brownells cheap.  Under $20 last time I checked.  Takes about 10 minutes to change it out.

Are the feed rails intergral with the box mag? The reason I ask is the feed rails on the rifle as it is now look to be integral with the action. That's what I Like about Savages, the feed rails are part of the magazine not the action.
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 255 Member
    Been a while since the last post. So, Colt Pre Woodsman from 1924 with a H.H. Heiser holster.