Home Main Category Hunting

Nebraska Dove Opener

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,152 Senior Member
edited September 2020 in Hunting #1
A friend and I hit a great public field this year that we’ve never hunted before.  Tons of action starting a little after legal daylight started and birds dropping everywhere.

This was Nessa’s first solo hunt and she was excellent, finding lots of birds we would’ve never recovered without her.  It was also the first hunt with my new Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus.  Limit achieved and great times had.

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,818 Senior Member
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,915 Senior Member
    Very nice!  Looks like a nice haul. Gonna be a nice dovederve dinner coming up...

I was really wanting to get out after work on opening day but got tied up with other stuff. Ended up being a good thing, as we had a storm blow in that evening and the wind started a dust storm. Wouldn't have been very pleasurable to hunt in. I'm gonna try to get out this weekend at least once. I've been craving smoked or girlled dovederves...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,121 Senior Member
    I need to do that.  There's 12000 acres of public hunting land nearby, but it's mostly scub mesquite, so I'm a bit hesitant to go out there now.  There may be a few rattlers, too.

BTW, Luis.  You suck!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    Great start with a new dog and gun.  Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    Dang great start to the season.  We have few birds so far!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,549 Senior Member
    I am Out of town for dove season this year. 

Damn.......it. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I am Out of town for dove season this year. 

Damn.......it. 
    Serious bummer.  Did your boy get out solo?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    A day of hunting with 'first's' . Awesome!. The feeling and memories will never fade.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,263 Senior Member
    Nice, Luis!

We have buttloads of dove in Colorado, but unless you have access to the right spot any real success is difficult at best.

In Louisiana you could pattern the birds flying along the treelines around crop fields, overgrown fence lines, creek beds, etc.

Here, you may have access to thousands upon thousands of acres without a single distinguishing feature. Dove just fly willy-nilly all over the place. Hard to reliably put yourself in their path.

The last time I went after dove I probably saw ~150, killed 1, and it was the only one that came in range. While I've limited out on dove a few times in my life, that hunt was the only time I batted 100% LOL!

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Nice, Luis!

We have buttloads of dove in Colorado, but unless you have access to the right spot any real success is difficult at best.

In Louisiana you could pattern the birds flying along the treelines around crop fields, overgrown fence lines, creek beds, etc.

Here, you may have access to thousands upon thousands of acres without a single distinguishing feature. Dove just fly willy-nilly all over the place. Hard to reliably put yourself in their path.

The last time I went after dove I probably saw ~150, killed 1, and it was the only one that came in range. While I've limited out on dove a few times in my life, that hunt was the only time I batted 100% LOL!

Mike

Hey - you're the only guy I know who EVER batted 1.000 on dove.  Brag heavily - keep the details scant.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,915 Senior Member
    Good hustle! The doves shagged tail outta here quickly.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    bellcat said:
    Good hustle! The doves shagged tail outta here quickly.
    It got cold quickly.  They moved on from here this week.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,375 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    A friend and I hit a great public field this year that we’ve never hunted before.  Tons of action starting a little after legal daylight started and birds dropping everywhere.

This was Nessa’s first solo hunt and she was excellent, finding lots of birds we would’ve never recovered without her.  It was also the first hunt with my new Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus.  Limit achieved and great times had.

New pup and new shotgun and you still limited out!  Good day n my book!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,263 Senior Member
    It's amazing how temp sensitive dove are. I've seen them thick as fleas in a field one day, and a 10 degree shift cooler the next.....not a bird to be seen.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,121 Senior Member
    They're not just temp sensitive, they know where it's safe and where it's not.  Around here, you find them in town, not in areas one can hunt.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Yep.  They only fly at last light in huntable areas here.  And by last light, I mean after legal has ended.