Home Main Category Clubhouse

Close Call.......Them pesky giant rats with antlers....

10canyon5310canyon53 MemberPosts: 2,122 Senior Member
My wife and I were out on a motorcycle ride on a county road this morning when I saw a young buck cross the road about 50 yards in front of us. Knowing that there are often more than one I started slowing down with my head on a swivel. As we got closer to where he crossed I noticed that he was running parallel to the road because he could not get over a fence. I thought to myself "I bet he is going to come back across the road". Sure enough, just when we had nearly pulled even with him he shot back across right in front of us and I had to nail the brakes to keep from hitting him. Luckily I was expecting him to do that and was ready for him so no harm done, just a little added excitement to the morning ride.  I was doing about 55 when he first crossed the road but had slowed to around 45 by the time he came back across.....it could have been ugly.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    I have attended fundraisers and funerals for folks that hit deer on their motorcycles, never ends well for those involved.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    A few years ago one of my employees got knocked off his motorcycle by a deer while making a bank run.  I visited him the next day in the hospital and would never have recognized him if I didn't know what room he was in.  He was doing 55 when a deer tried to jump over him, missed the motorcycle but took him right off of it.  Luckily he was wearing a helmet or he would not have survived.  He didn't remember the accident and nobody would have known what happened if a motorist behind him hadn't witnessed it.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Yep, one of my friends got peeled off his bike by a 6 pointer in mid-leap, he took a selfie, he looked like a zombie off of the Walking Dead.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,320 Senior Member
    I worked with a guy that took a blue-jay to the chest at 70 mph on I-20. He managed to stay on top of the bike, but Sweet Baby Jesus.....the bruise was epic.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,570 Senior Member
    Good on you for your situational awareness and being ready for him.
    Glad nothing bad happened
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,364 Senior Member
    One of my best friends got taken off a bicycle by a deer.  He was all messed up for a few days.

deer get stupid next to the highway. Young deer even more so.

glad you are OK.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,220 Senior Member
    I have a friend that had a deer run over him while he was hiking...the deer hit him so hard it broke it's neck...I got a call to come help salvage the carcass and my friend looked like he'd been in a bar fight...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 622 Senior Member
    16yrs old, shirtless in shorts and gators changing water in the middle of the summer. I’m cruising along to my next wheel line going who knows how fast but not fast at all, a sparrow comes out of the weeds hits me square on the left of my chest. It about knocked me off the bike I guess more from surprise but man did it hurt. Changed the wheel line and went back to the house by the time I got back it had started to get colorful my mom freaked out my dad just laughed. 
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,091 Senior Member
    Narrowly missed a pheasant on my motorcycle some years ago. I was probably doing 45 or 50 when it came out of the ditch in front of me. Heard the wing slap the windscreen. Scared the crap out of me!!
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 628 Senior Member
    Had nearly the same thing happen to me about a year ago. I was cruising through a suburban area and noticed something out the corner of my left side. My reaction was that a dog was chasing me because my brain didn't comprehend yet that a younger buck was running about 10 foot to the left of me in the same direction. Im glad I realized it when I did because as I was putting on the brakes, he cut in front of me, missing my bike by about a foot or so. Scared the hell out of me.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,253 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #12
    I know an Old Jarhead who cracked his head open when he laid Samantha (his Harley) down after hitting a groundhog.. Why I never wanted a bike. Too many obstacles

Glad you missed him. I lost a $500 deductible to a stoopid buck last year. He actually left teeth marks in my door
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,320 Senior Member
    The day after I bought my GoldWing I was headed north from Monroe, La. to Little Rock, Ar.  I was traveling 2-lane state highways, since I didn't yet trust myself with such a beast on the InterState. 

A quarter mile north of the Arkansas state line is a long, sweeping curve with zero shoulder. That's where I took a bumblebee inside my helmet. Honeybees can sting you only once, but bumblebees can sting you as long as they have a mind to. That was one damned long curve, and once I saw a bit of shoulder, I bet I displaced a hundred pounds of gravel shutting down the bike and ripping off the helmet.

Needless to say, after that, my helmet wore a face shield.

An aside....Gold Wings look big and comfortable, and slow. They are big and comfortable, but they'll go from zero to "scared spitless" quicker than you can get off the throttle.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,213 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #14
    I worked with a guy that took a blue-jay to the chest at 70 mph on I-20. He managed to stay on top of the bike, but Sweet Baby Jesus.....the bruise was epic.

Mike

That's like getting hit in the chest by a 6.5 oz soft ball between 50 and 60 mph. That's college level pitching speeds! Ouch! Similar to having a 1 pound weight dropped on your chest from roughly 6 feet. It would leave a nice bruise.
    His last thoughts must have been, "Not the face, Not the face,..."
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 323 Member
    I rode my whole life and used to ride- really fast.
    I once reached out and touched a cow at 135 in the straight section of a S curve- I wonder what the cow thought.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,846 Senior Member
    I've almost been run over several time by deer up in Wisconsin while riding a bicycle.
    One time it was 2 big does that almost took out Mrs Clean, too.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member

An aside....Gold Wings look big and comfortable, and slow. They are big and comfortable, but they'll go from zero to "scared spitless" quicker than you can get off the throttle.

Mike

I owned a Gold Wing years ago, they are anything but slow.

My current bike, a Yamaha Royal Star Venture looks big and slow....
    Yep, it's big, but it ain't slow.