Home Main Category Hunting

My first Axis hunt is in the book

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,119 Senior Member
edited September 2020 in Hunting #1
My buddy John and I just finished our first Axis hunt. We’re hooked! John’s was a monster at almost 33” he took this morning. I missed a giant jogging at just over 300 yards last evening. We had this morning to finish up our hunt. At 11:30 I took this 27” buck. Couldn’t have been more happy with it. I shot mine just a whisker over 200 yards straight into his brisket. He jumped straight up and ran 50 or so yards before folding up. John took his at 130 yards as his dropped where he shot it. Great hunt down in the Rocksprings area. Both of our Axis were on low fence open range. 

Off to the processor and taxidermist in the morning!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    AWESOME Congratulations
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,394 Senior Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,549 Senior Member
    Well done!  They taste awesome. 
    I need to shoot one or two for the freezer this year.   
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited September 2020 #5
    What rifle/cartridge/bullet combo did you guys use?
    Where did you go and what was the cost?  Out of curiosity for the going rate. 
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    edited September 2020 #7
    Both were shot with 143 gr Hornady ELD-X 6.5 CM's.  I shot mine with my custom LH Tikka and John's rifle was made by Short Action Custom's.  We were hunting in Rockspring's TX on an 11,000 acre low fence ranch.  Price sent on PM.

This was a tougher than normal hunt.  This was suppose to be a two day hunt in April during the rut, but COVID cancelled our plans. We spent Sunday looking for the perfect buck but lord it was mid 90's outside and we only saw mid 20's bucks.     Yesterday, we spent lots of driving and stalking as the weather was hurricane force winds most of the day.  The guide gave us this morning as an extra day as nothing was moving yesterday until the evening.  Having never hunted them I had no idea just how skittish and just how keen their eyesight is.  Once they saw us they'd turn and walk or trot off.  They would never stand there to see what we were.  Like the other days we stayed in the shadows during our stalks.  We were told the rut is really the time to hunt.  All in all it was just fantastic!

Problem is, there is no defined rut. 
    They can have horns year round as they can breed year round. 

You will have slick skulled, velveted, and hard horned bucks all at the same time. Add to that, does can be in heat, pregnant, or fawned at any time of year. 
    Just depends on when they are born.

So........there is no defined “rut”. 

I checked cameras yesterday and have hard horned rutting axis and a few that just started growing velvet. 
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Problem is, there is no defined rut. 
    They can have horns year round as they can breed year round. 

You will have slick skulled, velveted, and hard horned bucks all at the same time. Add to that, does can be in heat, pregnant, or fawned at any time of year. 
    Just depends on when they are born.

So........there is no defined “rut”. 

I checked cameras yesterday and have hard horned rutting axis and a few that just started growing velvet. 
    Well said! However, the land owner said his rut on his ranch is primarily through April and some small ones during other months.  We saw lots of bucks that already shed the antlers.  We did see a couple just starting to grow there's.  It's really screwy if you've never hunted them and very new to both of us.  Just going with what the guide and land owner told us.  

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,121 Senior Member
    Nice hunt, and nice bucks!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,396 Senior Member
    Nicely done. My only Axis hunting was more of a cull from a friend's goat farm. I killed a spike and 2 does. I was also shooting out of his living room window
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,915 Senior Member
    Congratulations! Beautiful trophy!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,375 Senior Member
    Color me jealous.  Those are pretty animals! 😍
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Great work, Jeff!  Those things are so danged pretty.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,411 Senior Member
    My buddy John and I just finished our first Axis hunt. We’re hooked! John’s was a monster at almost 33” he took this morning. I missed a giant jogging at just over 300 yards last evening. We had this morning to finish up our hunt. At 11:30 I took this 27” buck. Couldn’t have been more happy with it. I shot mine just a whisker over 200 yards straight into his brisket. He jumped straight up and ran 50 or so yards before folding up. John took his at 130 yards as his dropped where he shot it. Great hunt down in the Rocksprings area. Both of our Axis were on low fence open range. 

Off to the processor and taxidermist in the morning!

I love Texas, but I wish we had more public land to hunt.